Goodbye Jesus

I Don't Know How He Does It But I'm Grateful

Guest Babylonian Dream

Guest Babylonian Dream

My brother on facebook:"

"The 7 deadly sins

wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony.

All of us are guilty of every single one how could god possibly forgive us? I'll never understand it but I'm grateful he can."

Me:

Because outside wrath and greed, the rest are minor really. And even wrath and greed can be minor.

And on top of that, with anyone doing any of the 7, I'd be like "who really cares?" Are any of these really that bad?

Not to mention that god himself does wrath "better" than any human ever did it in all our history.

Not to mention that god created us with all those characteristics -- and more!

Side note: As a kid I knew there were seven deadly sins, but I had no idea what they were. I expected something really, really juicy -- worse than murder or bank robbery or those mysterious sexual goings-on adults whispered about. I was SO disappointed when the deadlies turned out to be so dull and ordinary.

They're all just the negative side of common human traits. Each one of those has a counter that people do as well without the need for faith to make them do it. Compassion, charity, industriousness, humbleness, restraint, vicarious happiness, self-restraint (though, the virtue of some of these is quite minor and can be bad in excess)

There are no "7 deadly sins" in the Bible.

I've always been amazed that a sense of entitlement never made the list- that causes more dramas than you wouldn't believe. Though that's hardly surprising- christians on the whole tend to be locked into a sense of entitlement.

I would like to take this opportunity to say:

WHAT'S IN THE BOX???

+1 for badass movie reference?

• Like 2

Without lust, no one would exist

Greed is the base of capitalism, kinda funny how God wouldn't help us come up with a better economic system.

Guest Babylonian Dream

I always found it interesting that they're all things we can't help but to commit. Apparently being human is demonized in of itself.

God is said to show wrath in the OT. He's a sinner. No wait. He created the sins so they're not absolute. Or, no wait, morality is part of his nature so wrath is morally right. No, wait, again... I'm so confused. God doesn't lead by example.

Wasn't it a monk or preist that orignally wrote the 7 deadly sins? He was probably just a crotchety old cuss that sat around trying to figure out ways to make everyone else's life more miserable. Possilbly even a reflection of himself. If he wasn't going to heaven then by god, no one else would either.

Lust? So being human is sinful? Figures.