Goodbye Jesus

Behavior Modification

Chikirin

I read something on the forum about how dumb it is for Christians to have to gather together each week and sing songs and have discussions in order to maintain their belief in God, but that scientists don't have to do such things in order to maintain their belief in gravity.

I hate Christianity, but I think the anecdote fails. Christians don't get together and worship solely to maintain belief, they do it for behavior modification. If you are stuck in a behavior you don't like and want to change, it takes practice. You don't become a black belt in karate by just believing you are a black belt in karate, you have to practice for years.

Fellowship is also a requisite of Christianity. They want their congregation to meet habitually so they can shake all the tithes they can out of 'em and keep their numbers up which makes the pastor look good.

• Like 2

I read something on the forum about how dumb it is for Christians to have to gather together each week and sing songs and have discussions in order to maintain their belief in God, but that scientists don't have to do such things in order to maintain their belief in gravity.

I hate Christianity, but I think the anecdote fails. Christians don't get together and worship solely to maintain belief, they do it for behavior modification. If you are stuck in a behavior you don't like and want to change, it takes practice. You don't become a black belt in karate by just believing you are a black belt in karate, you have to practice for years.

What this translates into is structural support. Everyone, no matter where they are at in their worldviews/faith, need support structures in order for them to find a certain stability within that stage of their growth. It doesn't matter what the belief system is. It's how humans adapt, learn what they need to, and then grow to the next stage of their growth. In all honesty, as much as I can look back and say "that was stupid", it was part of my growth process.

Guest Valk0010

What this translates into is structural support. Everyone, no matter where they are at in their worldviews/faith, need support structures in order for them to find a certain stability within that stage of their growth. It doesn't matter what the belief system is. It's how humans adapt, learn what they need to, and then grow to the next stage of their growth. In all honesty, as much as I can look back and say "that was stupid", it was part of my growth process.

Throw the word extremity in there I might agree.

Church is designed to regiment the mind to authority.

Well, that's certainly their view on it. It was my experience and observation that going to church was the only thing that maintained the belief. Xians call it backsliding, others might call it detoxing.

• Like 2

They get together out of fear of not doing it, and it stimulates their identity complex.

I'm not sure what you mean by extremity here? Do you mean extreme? If so, in what context?

As far as church is designed to regiment the mind to authority, that is true, and to a fault in most cases. But that's just not them but any institutionalized system. The dilemma is this. Any organized system intended for growth needs to have a certain mapped out discipline. You ostensibly need to have those who are the experts in that discipline and the students who follow. The students have to respect the teacher and follow their instruction in order to become masters themselves. So authority is a natural part of 'discipleship'.

However, when it comes to much of what you have in the religion is a top-down problem where those in authority are not masters at all, but mediocre middle management. Then any giving over your mind to an authority in that system only goes so far. At best you rise to a 3rd grade education, rather than a masters degree program. Authority in that case, because it isn't very advanced hinders those ready to grow beyond the 3rd grade. And the problem arises because the system is dumbed down so far that it has to exercise a constant threat over its flock that if you deviate from them, you burn in hell. In that case, it turns into a system for its own sake, unable to see beyond itself.

Guest Valk0010

I'm not sure what you mean by extremity here? Do you mean extreme? If so, in what context?

As far as church is designed to regiment the mind to authority, that is true, and to a fault in most cases. But that's just not them but any institutionalized system. The dilemma is this. Any organized system intended for growth needs to have a certain mapped out discipline. You ostensibly need to have those who are the experts in that discipline and the students who follow. The students have to respect the teacher and follow their instruction in order to become masters themselves. So authority is a natural part of 'discipleship'.

However, when it comes to much of what you have in the religion is a top-down problem where those in authority are not masters at all, but mediocre middle management. Then any giving over your mind to an authority in that system only goes so far. At best you rise to a 3rd grade education, rather than a masters degree program. Authority in that case, because it isn't very advanced hinders those ready to grow beyond the 3rd grade. And the problem arises because the system is dumbed down so far that it has to exercise a constant threat over its flock that if you deviate from them, you burn in hell. In that case, it turns into a system for its own sake, unable to see beyond itself.

Extreme I mean, because the anarchist in me sees most form of authority as more or less cultish indoctrination.