Goodbye Jesus

Ant Rand Bad For Non Believers?

Carolorado

All of us I the USA are being exposed to Ayn Rand and her connection to politics and religion. It has frequently been mentioned she was an atheist. Personally, I am insulted that anyone puts an atheist in a class with that liar.

If you haven't read her books, don't bother. 'Atlas Shrugged' was actually similiar in ways to xianity. The hero is great and suffers, everyone else is a freeloader. They rich hero can save anyone or not.

Of course the hero has his frustrations and has to fight freeloaders.

Does anyone else think it ironic that Ayn Rand is a symbol for exactly what the religious right is pushing? Isn't she more like them, than us?

• Like 3

Of course, this is supposed to be about Ayn rather than Ant Rand.

Of course, she was what my mother used to call a piss ant...

Of course, this is supposed to be about Ayn rather than Ant Rand.

Of course, she was what my mother used to call a piss ant...

I unfortunantly haven't read Atlas Shrugged but from what i read i dont know if there is really a correlation, the whole book is about objectivism and individual rights over the rights of conformity.

• Like 1

Here's an article from a guy who can't see how Paul Ryan can reconcile his admiration of Ayn Rand and his purported Christianity.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/15/my-take-christianity-and-ayn-rands-philosophy-are-2-distinct-religions/?iref=allsearch

Here's an article from a guy who can't see how Paul Ryan can reconcile his admiration of Ayn Rand and his purported Christianity.

http://religion.blog...?iref=allsearch

The Tea Party loves Ayn Rand

tea-party-john-galt-atlas-shrugged.jpg

The mix of Ayn Rand's philosophies mixing with Christianity is quite a scary thing.

• Like 1

Maybe they think of her as dear old Aunt Rand.

All of us I the USA are being exposed to Ayn Rand and her connection to politics and religion. It has frequently been mentioned she was an atheist. Personally, I am insulted that anyone puts an atheist in a class with that liar.

If you haven't read her books, don't bother. 'Atlas Shrugged' was actually similiar in ways to xianity. The hero is great and suffers, everyone else is a freeloader. They rich hero can save anyone or not.

Of course the hero has his frustrations and has to fight freeloaders.

Does anyone else think it ironic that Ayn Rand is a symbol for exactly what the religious right is pushing? Isn't she more like them, than us?

Yes but I still wanna know 'who is John Galt?' ROFL

I vaguely remember the book - read it while I was overseas a million years ago. I can't believe she devoted what, almost 200 pages, of the book for that one thing regarding Galt. And even back then, as an 18 year old kid, I knew she was full of crap. The constant harping about the rugged individualist, self seeking opportunist over the mindless masses of the rest of us - talk about living in a fantasy bubble.

• Like 2

Guest Valk0010

Its relatively easy to be a rugged indivdualist when you can afford food!

Fuck her, I wish there was a hell for her to be in.

• Like 1

Does do a great job splitting sheep from sheep dogs so to think about...

kL

Does do a great job splitting sheep from sheep dogs so to think about...

kL

"Sheep" who lived on Social Security? Like Ayn Rand?

And Friedrich von Hayek?

Do as I say- not as I do. Too bad they couldn't live up to their Nietzschean ideals.

• Like 1

What pisses me off about Paul Ryan is that he's claiming to reject Ayn Rand calling it an "Atheist philosophy." It pisses me me off on two levels. First of all he's using the word "atheist" as an insult. Second, Ayn Rand's philosophies were no one but her own, and its right wing Christians who usually like her books. They label her philosophies as "Darwinian," while her philosophy would have been disastrous for our ancient ancestors. If the cavemen were like Rand we'd have gone extinct. These idiots who like to associate dog eat dog behavior with Darwin forget that apes are all social species. Humans thrived because we were smart enough to work together.

• Like 1

I've never read Ayn Rand, (I'm a psych major- if the author does not have "PhD" or "PsyD" after their name, I probably wont read it)

But I've definitely heard of her. My bestie is a lit major, a xian, and Ayn Rand is her favourite author of all time. In fact, she's probably rolling over in her sleep right now because of this thread. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

• Like 1

To rant even more its that Paul Ryan dumped Ayn Rand because she was an atheist. If Ayn Rand was A Christian or adhered to any other major religion he wouldn't have been pressured to reject her. But Ryan's rejection of Rand has nothing to do with her repugnant philosophy, it all came down to the "A" word.

I have not read "Atlas Shrugged" but I read some of Rand's philosophy years ago. Although at first I thought there was some truth to it, after more thinking I rejected it as being distasteful. Its sort of an everyman for himself type philosophy and although at times it seems like this is the way the world works, I would rather focus myself on trying to help others. It seems harsh to me.

For the life of me, I can't see why anyone would like her books except for very selfish people. Perhaps that is why the far right religions like her work, if they can read. Some days I have doubts about that.

My point of similarity was that I can find enough verses in the Bible that sound like her crap. I am no fan of Paul Ryan, but liking an atheists work should not make someonr disqualified for office. He could have brought in a lot of votes by being more supportive of non believers of the Bible God. He is already gonna get the Bible vote, nothing he says will change that. He chose to run from what he believed in. We are pretty much ignored and hated now, but the generation of kids now have the Internet. And I have met many of them that are non believers.

Most atheists are people who found freedom, and they are generally very happy. Being an atheist in the '50s and '60s was a big deal. It is my opinion that she only claimed to be an atheist for shock value. Perhaps she was, but she wanted her values heard and any publicity was good for her book sales.

• Like 1