Goodbye Jesus

Bill Nye, One Smart Guy!

hereticzero

That showed up in my YouTube subscriptions as well. Great video!!

• 2 weeks later...

An update to this:

http://www.geek.com/...plodes-2012094/

After a video of him demonizing parents who teach their children that the world was created by God caught immense viral attention, Bill Nye has refused to step back from his comments. In fact, his rhetoric has become even more biting, comparing those who believe in creationism to those who believe in the notion that the Earth is flat.

It started with a video that went on YouTube late last month. Within less than two weeks, the video has garnered nearly 4 million views. The video, published by Big Think, shows Nye not only voicing his affirmation that mankind was not made by a creator but also chastising anyone who fails to agree with him....

Link to Video:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/31/bill-nye-on-creationism-its-like-teaching-the-earth-is-flat/

Good for him for sticking to his guns. In his original vid he did make a mistake. He said denial of evolution was exclusive to the US. I believe what he meant was among developed countries. Since he left that part out the creation guys did a rebuttal where they pointed out that Muslims and tribal Africa all believe the world was created. Funny how they don't consider Muslim opinion to be good evidence that Jesus was merely a prophet. I put a link to the rebuttle vid under the title "The Stupid it Burns".

I think this is where I must stand, because it seems to be one of the few semi-constructive places available to me.

Scientists have been known to make mistakes. Indeed, from one angle it might be argued that the purpose of science is to make mistakes until more understanding is acquired.

We have a problem in contemporary biology. And bound up with this misconception is the notion that evolution is the central idea in all the life sciences. I, and a growing number of others, are fairly well convinced that life is the central idea in all the life sciences. Though it cannot be denied that evolution has transpired on Earth, the process itself is poorly understood. In addition, I think its explanatory power has been vastly overstated.

I was a big fan of Bill Nye growing up. The funny thing is that we were allowed to watch it...as long as we ignored anything that was said about "millions of years" and evolution. That generally meant any episodes about dinosaurs were out of the question.

I remember being conflicted as a child because I was very interested in science (particularly chemistry and astronomy) and scientists were among my heros, but the message that I heard from my parents was that they were either confused or liars. I think my parents were only trying to do what they thought was right, but I wonder sadly sometimes whether I might have pursued a scientific career if I hadn't experienced that negativity toward scientists. The thought of studying space but constantly being bombarded with "billions of years" seemed exhausting to me even as a kid. Of course, it didn't occur to me at the time that I might grow up and agree with the scientists, not my parents.

Anyway, I like the video, but it's a bit unrealistic to think that creationists will teach their children evolution without being convinced themselves.