Goodbye Jesus

Braindead Censoring... Far Too Late. Wtf?!

Thurisaz

So how long was it since that Cee-Lo Green song "Fuck you" was popular? Some two years at least I think?

The video is now back on German music TV, at least on the one channel I get for free... and it's been censored to now say "Forget you". Now. All that time after the uncensored version ran up and down here for weeks.

And of course it's not even well-censored. That one line "fuck-fuck you" now goes "forget-fuck you".

I can see at least some reasoning in censoring a supposedly offensive song/video when it first gets popular, but now?! :crazy:

Must be a parents' group filed a lawsuit.

OMGAH NAUGHTY WORDZ MIGHT MELT MY EARZ NOW THAT I NOTICED IT WAS NAUGHTY!

I think all censorship is idiotic, personally, but this example is extra-special stupid. State of the art stupid, one ex of mine might say.

Heh yeah I can imagine that certain naughty phrases might stay below the radar of the average German at first... you know, it's not like you learn at school that "giving head" means... well, that thing. In that case I could see how someone might notice too late that some song text is about... that thing... and act late then (they did it to Lilly Allen too).

But what the... yup that word?! You need to have been living in a cave to not know what that means. A cave on fucking Pluto. :crazy:

You know, I wish this censoring stuff, if it must happen at all, would at least be dealt with in a way that doesn't look totally knee-jerk. The only example for "good" censorship I ever saw on music TV was German rock band "Die Ärzte"'s vid "Junge", which was a total homage to all the zombie movies of the world, very graphic. The censored version of it was okay for the simple reason that they self-censored it. In the "safe for kids" version all the rotting walking corpses were covered by cutesey cartoon figures, photos of the band members' heads and such... though you still heard all the zombie sound effects and the very last picture in the video was the written question "Dude these are strange sounds... they on the single too?" lmao_99.gif

Die Ärzte should also teach everyone a lesson about the futility of music censorship. They are used to getting kicked from all sides for their provoking lyrics. Still infamous is their 80s song "Geschwisterliebe" (yes that translates into "sibling love" and yes it tells the story of a - supposedly just-of-legal-age - boy doing his 14-year-old sister). It got banned very quickly after publishing... leading to the band still playing it on concerts today, in an instrumental variant just called "butterfly ride". Well they don't need to sing a single word of the lyrics, because all the fans know them and sing them aloud (which is, ironically, not illegal).

Remember, that was in the motherfucking eighties! They still haven't learned it now!

Here in England we only ever got the censored version. On the radio at least anyway. There's a video on youtube somewhere of a girl performing the original version in sign language.

"Forget-fuck" needs to become a meme.

• Like 1

Heh :)

And it's spreading. Just cought Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl... with all occurances of "shit" silenced. The thing has already run here about 3 million times if gut feeling is right. It's beyond idiocy... far beyond.