Goodbye Jesus

Finally Comfortable Being An Ex-C!

Zephie

So I've been an Ex-C since around late Jan/early Feb and I've come to accept my lack of belief. I've embraced that this is who I am. I go to sleep at night peacefully and conduct my life peacefully. This community has been and will continue to be an amazing source of information and comfort. I no longer long for the days when I was a Christian and it's just comforting embracing this lack of belief. Just wanted to say it. I'm even planning on coming out to my parents after I move out at the end of this year. Well, if they continue to ask me to go to church even after I move out that is. Hopefully, I'll be able to come out on Facebook as well.

• Like 7

good job and congrats. i hope everything works out. keep us in the loop.

I'm glad to hear you are becoming more comfortable in the real you. :)

• Like 1

You haven't come out to your parents yet? I couldn't stand faking it for more than a year.

One of the things I noticed long ago is that when you were a believer, you would visit a church, they would go out of their way to try to be nice, and they will be nice and at least semi tolerant if you would attent for awhile, but the moment you would become a member, they then would lay the rules down and make you feel miserable. On here, you come on here and notice people are being real, you stick around for awhile and then you realize that it is OK to be real, and when you are real, that is when you then feel welcome.

That's a good point.

Glad things are going well, Zephie!

Zephie, thanks for sharing and so happy for you! The peace is amazing and I hope that it will start to filter into other parts of your life and give you strength when dealing with family and friends. Wishing you the best!

It feels good to be yourself!

a peace beyond understanding?

awesome!

You haven't come out to your parents yet? I couldn't stand faking it for more than a year.

I plan on coming out in a few months when I actually move out. That way they can't kick me out. I think they suspect but it would be nice to have things in the open.

One of the things I noticed long ago is that when you were a believer, you would visit a church, they would go out of their way to try to be nice, and they will be nice and at least semi tolerant if you would attent for awhile, but the moment you would become a member, they then would lay the rules down and make you feel miserable. On here, you come on here and notice people are being real, you stick around for awhile and then you realize that it is OK to be real, and when you are real, that is when you then feel welcome.

Abso-fricken-loutely right!

Zephie - congratulations on your peace! The first time I experienced that I thought, Isn't that ironic? I had to leave Christianity to get peace.

Tell your parents when you feel like telling them. My mom knows I'm not in church, but frankly, I would never tell her how crazy I think her religion is. The woman is 80 and has been a devout fundie her whole life. I'm just not going to shock her at that age.

I'm with you: the stories and support on this site are so welcome! Good luck with your further adventures.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I think it's humorous that thorughout my devconversion I've found a stronger connection to the phrases often associated with faith etc. "finding peace" for example. I've been more comfortable in my own skin ever since I've allowed myself to acknowlede my disbelief. So I am excited for you. I too have recently come out so to speak. I am very fortunate that while my wife is continueing to believe (for now) she is extremely respectful for my journey. I have done this in stages, but started with several conversations with her sharing where I was at which lead to withholding my tithe, to disconnecting from a small group we were in. Liberating does not even come close to explain how this feels. I have been able to process through the grief of losing a world view I beleived to be true. I hope your journey continues to evolve into something even more beautiful.

• Like 1

Zephie...I just love you darling! This place would not be the same without you! I am so happy that you are finally comfortable within yourself...it's a great place to be hon!!

Big hug to you tonight!!

Congrats! I hope your coming out to your parents goes well. :)

Coming out on facebook is sometimes harder than in real life. I have a horrible time being honest about how I feel about certain posts and spam. I usually stay silent, but today I finally posted a response to a cousin of mine. No response yet, so hopefully he will quit posting that crap on my wall now. :D

That's great Zephie. High five to you.

It is a good place to be in. It really is. I wish you All the best.