Goodbye Jesus

Hurricane Isaac Stupidity

ConureDelSol

So this morning my parents made this off-handed comments about New Orleans and hurricane Isaac. All day I've been thinking about it. I just can't wrap my head around how bigoted and stupid the comments were.

So it basically went like this:

*News is talking about how Isaac is hitting New Orleans on the anniversary of Katrina*

Dad: 'New Orleans needs to start listening to God and stop having Mardi Gras!'

Mom: 'And they built their city in a stupid place too!'

And that was it. Mom's comment was just stupid, but Dad...crap. He's starting to sound like Pat Robertson. If a hurricane is a "Sign from God" then wow, the city I live in must be horribly evil. We have been flooded by Isabelle and Gaston. What about Joplin, Missouri? Was there just too much heathenry and debauchery that God just HAD to send an F5 tornado and destroy most of the city?

Ugh, I'm ashamed of my parents.

• Super Moderator

To be honest, building a coastal city below sea level is kind of stupid.

• Like 3

i always thought that too. but even worse is for a xian to acknowlege thsat something isnt safe.

• Like 1

i always thought that too. but even worse is for a xian to acknowlege thsat something isnt safe. edit...thinking about all the times i thought this as a xian

Historically speaking, N.O. wasn't supposed to be anything other than a small port town. The French Quarter is supposedly the highest point in the city...that's why it didn't flood as bad as the rest of the city after Katrina. Also, back in the day, they rerouted the Mississippi river so it couldn't spread the silt and land that it carries. N.O. would have been better protected if, back in the day, they hadn't fucked with the river and the surrounding areas. Erosion is terrible in L.A.

Also, Mardi Gras is part of a religious holiday....so um...someone needs to educate themselves. People have fun around that time. I mean here it's considered a major holiday.

Also, Mardi Gras is part of a religious holiday

Yeah, but it was started by that cult, you know, the catholics...

• Like 1

the_end_is_near.jpg

Turn to Jesus!

If i remember right, the Old French Quarter was the first development in New Orleans and it is not under sea level.

New Orleans is a clusterfuck of corruption in government and the police. It is FAMOUS for it's corruption.

WTF does that have to do with anything in this post?Wendytwitch.gif

And why the hell did I just feed BO a straight line?WendyDoh.gif

Why doesn't Las Vegas get hurricanes then? C'mon, god!

Actually, I thought it was God's way of saying: "Hey, Republicans, you don't represent ME." jesus.gif

That would be the logical thing to do. When was the last time you saw rightards and logic go together?

Not that I know anything, but I would think that in the time period that New Orleans was being built, the last thing they thought about was "I wonder if this is above water level?" They were probably more like, "Hey, there's water here and that would be great for making a port town."

Even if it IS in a stupid place, what do you expect them to do? Tell millions of residents and businesses to go somewhere else because the builders of the city fucked up?

I don't know, I think people who criticize New Orleans for that are kinda behind in offering constructive criticism. Too late now.

maybe PR should go pray it away.

• Super Moderator

Not that I know anything, but I would think that in the time period that New Orleans was being built, the last thing they thought about was "I wonder if this is above water level?" They were probably more like, "Hey, there's water here and that would be great for making a port town."

Even if it IS in a stupid place, what do you expect them to do? Tell millions of residents and businesses to go somewhere else because the builders of the city fucked up?

I don't know, I think people who criticize New Orleans for that are kinda behind in offering constructive criticism. Too late now.

New Orleans reminds me of the time I spent living in Ohio. Every spring, I mean EVERY spring, the Ohio River would flood. Every year, the dumb bastards who built their homes in the flood plain asked for and got tax money to rebuild their homes - in the same fucking place! Seriously, WTF?

Yes, it's too late to relocate New Orleans, but perhaps folks could at least stop building and moving into the lowest land withinin the prime hurricane target.

Dad: 'New Orleans needs to start listening to God and stop having Mardi Gras!'

God needs to quit sending mixed messages. Sure, New Orleans gets a hurricane every now and then, but it gets beer and bare titties pretty damn often.

• Like 1

New Orleans is a clusterfuck of corruption in government and the police. It is FAMOUS for it's corruption.

BO, Louisiana is famous for its corruption :D Yay! Louisiana!

How come god is so undiscriminating? Why doesn't he just send mini-floods, mini-tornadoes, and mini-disasters-of-his-choice to zap the specifically wicked? I mean, little individual floods and what-not to get the real sinners.

Surely the Almighty could do finer work than to flood out or tornado-ize entire cities. Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy.

• Like 1

That would be a miracle as LV is so far way from a coast. They are more likely to get a tornado.

That would be a miracle as LV is so far way from a coast. They are more likely to get a tornado.

Lol, exactly! And then I would believe in 'acts of god'

It's kind of pain in the ass at this point. It's moving extremely slow and is mostly like a sucky storm. About half of the people in my area are without power. We had to evacutate earlier due to the possiblitiy of flooding. I'm currently sitting in a dark hotel room since my parents have decided to go to bed. Thank fully our hotel has power for right now. There will be a lot of downed trees and BR has a curfew. Still it's not as bad as it could have been....knock on wood.