Goodbye Jesus

Am I An Asshole?

Jose

It may not be convincing evidence for you (or me), but the Bible is at least slight evidence.

OF, my friend, I think this is the first time I've disagreed with something I've read from you. The Bible is not evidence for God. The only reason why Christians think that the Bible is evidence for God is because they come at it with a load of false assumptions. The Bible is so full of problems that it's not the slightest bit of evidence for God.

Hi, Citsonga. Maybe our "disagreement" is more semantic than anything else. When I use the word "evidence" I am generally not commenting on how convincing it may be. To me, that is a different issue. I believe the Bible is at least "slight evidence" for the existence of god because it is at least 2,000 years old and it does purport to contain accounts of human contact with a deity. Therefore, it is evidence which we must examine to determine how convincing it is. But I am in 100% agreement with the following quote of yours as reworded only slightly: "The Bible is so full of problems that it's not the slightest bit of evidence convincing for the existence of God."

Hi. I agree that it's not convincing. For what it really is, though, it's not even evidence of God. It's evidence of people's belief in God, but that's a different subject. I guess if you mean "evidence" only in the sense that there are people who (erroneously) use the Bible as "evidence," then it is (and I would agree that it's semantics). All I'm saying is that when the Bible is taken for what it actually is (as opposed to what Christians want it to be), then it's not really evidence for God.

In the end, though, I guess this hair-splitting doesn't matter much, since we both agree that the Bible isn't the slightest bit convincing about God. ;)

• Like 1

I dont think you were a jerk. I am a little mad just reading that. Im beginning to think that the best way to reach them is not to engage in dialouge but to send them on a mission. simply ask them to spend a few minutes and give you 3 GOOD reasons why their rellgion is superior to Muslim, Buddist, Hindu, etc. then come back to you with the findings.

ps let me know if you post that and what the response is...

Interesting points of view. I'll re-read and digest before I respond to anything posted.

One thing I want to clarify about the "have a blessed day" thing though because that seemed to generate some confusion - I'm not out spoiling for a fight, but if someone says that, the conversation usually goes like this,

"Have a blessed day!"

"I'm sorry, what do you mean?"

"What? You know, just have a nice day."

"You too!"

My dislike of being told to have a blessed day is more about my intolerance of misusing the language than anything religious. The word "bless" is not a synonym for "good" or "nice."