Goodbye Jesus

Finally Untangled Myself

Mling

I left Christianity several years ago but retained one last "little" habit. I was an active member at Christianforums, and kept going. At first, it was because I enjoyed the "social" connection with the liberal crowd there, who were still people I would enjoy spending time with. More and more, though, I was drawn to the ethics and morality section, and would be infuriated by the inane, offensive things people babble out their rectums there.

For the past year or two...maybe more? ... I was spending huge chunks of my free time arguing there. Appalled by things too hurtful or too damaging to society for me to be able to let go, I would stick around, checking repeatedly to see if people had responded, constructing enormous essays to try to make sure that things like that didn't go unanswered, if only so that other people lurking would see the arguments against what had been said.

I went to bed angry at the world, woke up frightened to see what I'd "have" to answer next.

And then it went too far. I was in an argument about personal relationships, and I'd been using my own as an example. Whig meant that the long, argumentative essays we were exchanging weren't hypothetical. It was somebody telling me that *my* girlfriend was exploiting me. That my life would leave me cold and lonely. I got to the point where I was putting off going because I didn't have the energy to read what new condescending shit he was babbling at me. Then, I put it off because I was feeling happy without it, and didn't want to drag myself down.

It's been a few weeks now...maybe several. I went back once when I was bored, but didn't respond to anything.

In the past few weeks I've been happier. Healthier. I've come up with a 10-year plan for my life, and i've been excitedly designing the house I want to build for my girlfriend and myself. I've been crafting, and I'm not so angry over such ridiculous shit anymore.

But....I still think a lot about the ignorance....the people who are *wrong on the internet!* I still argue with them in my head, in the car. When I'm bored in front of the computer, my fingers still type out "chris..." Before I delete it.

I hope I manage to stay away, and to keep channeling my energy into positive things.

• Like 2

Good and instructive story. I'm happy for the life that you and your girlfriend have, and are putting together! Just one question: are you personally building the house with your own hands, or designing it to be built by a contractor?

Hope to see you more on here (but not to the point of crowding out real life, heh heh!).

christianforums is proof there's no holyspirit living inside christians

Good and instructive story. I'm happy for the life that you and your girlfriend have, and are putting together! Just one question: are you personally building the house with your own hands, or designing it to be built by a contractor?

Hope to see you more on here (but not to the point of crowding out real life, heh heh!).

Barring injury or illness, I'll be building with my hands (and, hopefully, the hands of friends and other people trying to learn building techniques). I've been looking into straw bale and cob construction:

http://www.ironstraw.org/benefits.htm

http://www.celebratebig.com/whidbey-island/solar-tour-whidbey-island-2008/clinton-straw-bale-photovoltaic-passive-home-whidbey-island-solar-tour.jpg

The second picture is a whole lot bigger than anything I'd want to build or live in, but it has a lot of elements I'd like.

christianforums is proof there's no holyspirit living inside christians

It's a wonderful microcosm of Christianity as a whole. Fractally nested sub-forums, as everybody complains that they're allowed in our space and groups split off; lots of places filled with meaningless tripe; some places with genuine discussion, but often the most helpful things that could be said aren't allowed to be said; and in places where the most serious topics are allowed, every conversation devolves into a pissing contest about who's the rightest and holiest.

• Like 1

on my fb account my favorite quote is "Never ague with an idiot. He will bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience." It seems very appropriate here.

I'm a fan of the Southernism "Don't wrestle with a pig. You just get muddy, and the pig likes it."

Here's to having an awesome house and a wonderful life! Living well really is the very best revenge. At the end of the day, wasting time thinking and re-thinking about idiots like that just takes valuable time away from living well. Don't let turkeys like that take up residence in your head :)

My husband wants an Earthship type of house and I'm hoping we get to make one, one day. It'd be cool to be off-grid when the zombie apocalypse hits.