Goodbye Jesus

Here's A Thinker: Do Twins Share A Soul?

jensjam

Next time you have a person ranting about how life begins at conception and this is why we need to ban ALL abortion ask them this: If you believe a soul enters the potential body at the moment of conception than what happens with idential twins?

You might have to explain to them that Idential twins start from one egg and one sperm and during the process split and become two individuals.

Does that mean a soul is split between the two bodies? Does that mean two souls are sent? If that's the case what happens to that soul IF one of the twins is stillborn OR ends up disappearing into the other twin?

(It does happen more than you think. I was born the same time my mother had a daughter. 13 years later she was having very bad pains in her lower stomach. They did exploratory sugery and discovered the remains of her twin in her.)

There are non-Christian people who think that a person's life begins at conception. So, it would be more accurate to direct your ire toward people who actually believe in souls.

Also: gross!

I'm one of those who believe life begins at conception. Never the less, I am pro-abortion. I find a mother has the absolute right to terminate pregnancy, though I would encourage mothers to do so as early as possible if they are going to abort. A first trimester abortion is better for everyone compared to later term abortions. As for souls that is just a myth. If you want to use soul to mean "mind" that is fine. We have bodies. We also have the program-like activity caused by brain activity. There is no evidence of soul.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

The "soul" concept raises a lot of practical questions. There are a lot of guesses that people will swear are correct, but of course, no evidence of any real answers. At what point in evolution did the highest animal form start receiving a soul? Do any other animals have souls? What about conjoined twins? Stillbirths? Babies born without a brain? Test tube babies? Clones? And don't even start me on how reincarnation could work!

The idea of a soul must be accepted on faith, but if one bothers to think about it, it becomes a very problematic concept. It almost seems simpler to believe and justify the Noah's Ark story.

If there is a split then each gets half (or a third) making them someone less of a person in the eyes of "god."

If, for some reason, one of these later "go away" that partial soul will search out a new body somewhere and "possess" it. It is now an evil fraction.

mwc

If zygotes have souls, then your average abortion doctor has wracked up more guaranteed saves than your average evangelist.

Next time you have a person ranting about how life begins at conception and this is why we need to ban ALL abortion ask them this: If you believe a soul enters the potential body at the moment of conception than what happens with idential twins?

You might have to explain to them that Idential twins start from one egg and one sperm and during the process split and become two individuals.

Does that mean a soul is split between the two bodies? Does that mean two souls are sent? If that's the case what happens to that soul IF one of the twins is stillborn OR ends up disappearing into the other twin?

(It does happen more than you think. I was born the same time my mother had a daughter. 13 years later she was having very bad pains in her lower stomach. They did exploratory sugery and discovered the remains of her twin in her.)

.... have you asked Thumbelina? ... she will know the truth! GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

• Like 2

If zygotes have souls, then your average abortion doctor has wracked up more guaranteed saves than your average evangelist.

WOOOOOOOOOW

I don't think the soul-split is necessarily 50/50.

My theory is that when I split off from my Clone, there were 5 cells. Three cells on the left side grew into the magnificent specimen who trolls before you, whereas the two cells on the right grew into my somewhat lesser but still formidable Clone. As such, I received 60% of that original soul and my Clone received 40%.

the soul doesnt enter the body until the heart is completely formed. How can you let jesus into your heart if you dont have a heart. or better yet how can you let yourself into yourself......my brain hurts.

"Phantom" twins run in my family. My father had the remains of his twin taken out of his back when he was in his 20's.

I was supposed to be twins. There was double the afterbirth when I was born, but I was the only one. So, I ate my twin in the womb. So far they haven't found her.

This means that I AM the evil twin. zDuivel7.gif

That would be a FUN one to screw with Pro-Liars with. Mua ha ha ha!

Also, life begins before conception. Sperm and eggs are alive. I'm far more concerned about suffering than I am about souls or the fact of life. Most abortions happen in the first trimester when an embryo has no awareness whatsoever and is unable to suffer. Abortions that happen after awareness and sensory perception have developed in the fetus are rare and only performed if something has direly gone wrong and saving it is hopeless. Then I believe in prevention of suffering and euthanasia. So I do not consider abortion to be an ethical issue.

Pro-liars really couldn't care less about the unborn anyway. They only use the unborn as a platform to spread their filth and oppression.

Maybe you're a chimaera eek.gif

The idea of a soul must be accepted on faith, but if one bothers to think about it, it becomes a very problematic concept.

I think this touches upon the central debate of our time. The concept of souls which animate all living beings is an ancient idea. In contemporary times the only viable alternative would seem to be the idea that organisms are machines. Thus there is a deep argument over our own nature as living beings. But in my studies over the years, I've increassingly become convinced that both sides of this argument are mistaken.

I think there is a paradigm shift which may be about to occur in biology which may have impacts on all the other sciences. And at the root of this shift is are notions of complexity, and how we go about understanding natural organized systems. There are a variety of candidate meanings of complexity at the moment, but the one I find the most intriguing and compelling is nearly synonymous with paradox.

Maybe you're a chimaera eek.gif

That would be SO COOL. TWO SOULS!! lol

I have identical twin daughters and I firmly believe neither of them have a soul.. or a conscience, or anything resembling empathy. Here is what they look like:

grady_twins.jpg

Btw, if you thought that scene in the movie was creepy, I suggest you don't sleep over at our house; it is just a normal 3am in our hallway.

As for souls, nah I don't believe in them anymore. just an ancient society's attempt to explain consciousness.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What about Abby and Brittany? My question would be would they be resurrected as is? (one soul) or separate? (two)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail_and_Brittany_Hensel