Goodbye Jesus

Here's An Update - Higgs Boson

BrotherJosh

Well, I just got done reading, "Value Of The Christian" thread and got bored. Arguing over something tangible, to me, is way more interesting. So here's something interesting. We are now at Sigma 5.9 that the particle observed is the Higgs Boson.

Well, I just got done reading, "Value Of The Christian" thread and got bored. Arguing over something tangible, to me, is way more interesting. So here's something interesting. We are now at Sigma 5.9 that the particle observed is the Higgs Boson.

What would the discovery of the Higgs-Boson particle mean, what impact would it have on everything? I wish I understood more :/

What would the discovery of the Higgs-Boson particle mean, what impact would it have on everything? I wish I understood more :/

It would bring us a step closer to completing the Standard Model of physics. CERN, the Large Hadron Collider, is going to be doing testing on Supersymmetry. As far as a practical application this research, and past research, has lead to a lot, if not all, of the technologies we enjoy today!

It would bring us a step closer to completing the Standard Model of physics. CERN, the Large Hadron Collider, is going to be doing testing on Supersymmetry. As far as a practical application this research, and past research, has lead to a lot, if not all, of the technologies we enjoy today!

I understand it's a big deal. I know it's really important. But those wiki pages... I might as well have been reading Chinese :/ Except that, because I have done some studies in Chinese, I would probably understand more in Chinese than in Science Speak :/

I thought the Higgs-Boson had something to do with understanding how the universe came into being?

I understand it's a big deal. I know it's really important. But those wiki pages... I might as well have been reading Chinese :/ Except that, because I have done some studies in Chinese, I would probably understand more in Chinese than in Science Speak :/

Try this one: http://www.howstuffworks.com/higgs-boson.htm

Try this one: http://www.howstuffw...higgs-boson.htm

How appropriate, your initials match up with The Finder :) Thanks a lot for that, I just read it :)

How long have they been searching for the Higgs-Boson? And how long have they been trying to fit gravity into the Standard Model for? The Standard Model seems like it is very much a work in progress that belongs to no one scientist, really. The scientific community's joint collaboration :)

• Like 1

How long have they been searching for the Higgs-Boson? And how long have they been trying to fit gravity into the Standard Model for? The Standard Model seems like it is very much a work in progress that belongs to no one scientist, really. The scientific community's joint collaboration smile.png

They've predicted for a long time. The model requires it. They've only recently had the technology to detect it.

Or this:

Or this:

Awesome, will check it out in a bit- got some uni work to do first. Got to be a good girl lol. We're up to Week 3 now, and I've managed to pretty much knock over Week 1's work tonight, just need to finish up the exercises. Hoping to be back on track by the end of this week :)

Or this:

Oh, I think I get it now- the Higgs-Boson determines how heavy different particles (?) are. It explains differences in mass- is that correct?

As far as I understand it, yes.

As far as I understand it, yes.

WOOT!! Sucess!! :D