Goodbye Jesus

Everything Is Wonderful- Even When It's Not

blackpudd1n

Anyone else ever noticed how everything is wonderful for christians?

So, your mother-in-law died following an operation for bowel cancer. In a hospital bed, with every major organ on support. But she died in her glory? Oh, okay, praise da lawd! You have hope in jesus, you're going to see her again, that's so incredibly awesome, I really appreciate you taking this time to witness to be about how much comfort jesus gives you when I can clearly see that YOU WANNA FUCKING SCREAM AND CRY!

Fuck. I'll head on over to the neighbour's tomorrow, and see if she'd like to have a cuppa, because I do actually give a shit about the fact that she's in pain.

• Like 5

I'm still on my former church's email list. I just got an email yesterday about someone being diagnosed with cancer, and to pray for them. That's the third person in the 4 years I was there. The prayer list they have is pretty damned long and full of bad things. However, they're praising the lord for all they have.

• Super Moderator

Focusing on the positive is a good thing, but religion is a dishonest way to do it. To them, every event demonstrates they made the right decision to trust in their deity.

• Like 1

Focusing on the positive is a good thing, but religion is a dishonest way to do it. To them, every event demonstrates they made the right decision to trust in their deity.

It's not just that that bothers me; it's the fact that it does not allow them to express the emotions as they really feel them, and are forced on put on a front in order to continue bearing witness. It makes me so sad :(

I'm still on my former church's email list. I just got an email yesterday about someone being diagnosed with cancer, and to pray for them. That's the third person in the 4 years I was there. The prayer list they have is pretty damned long and full of bad things. However, they're praising the lord for all they have.

Sad, isn't it :(

I had culture shock my senior year of high school (private christian school the whole time) when someone asked how my weekend was, I said it was bad, and he said "yeah, mine too" and made no attempt to cheer me up. I was shocked that anyone was ok allowing me to feel that way and be honest about it and not see it as a moral failure on my part, and developed a huge crush on the guy.

• Like 1

I had culture shock my senior year of high school (private christian school the whole time) when someone asked how my weekend was, I said it was bad, and he said "yeah, mine too" and made no attempt to cheer me up. I was shocked that anyone was ok allowing me to feel that way and be honest about it and not see it as a moral failure on my part, and developed a huge crush on the guy.

Yeah a cup of tea and chocolate is more comforting than anything christianity offers.

I sometimes try to help people look on the bright side when they have a bad day. But i don't do so with religion.

• Like 1

My SIL is like this. Even worse, beyond the denial, is her belief about "speaking things into being" by being honest negative. Her life sucks right now, but she'll say, "But God is good" even though clearly he doesn't give a damn about her.

I stopped getting the 'pray for Mr or Mrs so and so. I merely wanted a prayer request to grow the limbs of a guy who lost them in the war. They can and usually will quit pretty quick if you just say something. It makes as much sense to me to pray for a new leg as it does to pray for cancer.

People pray because it is their comfort. I was afraid to face reality for many years, I am sure many of you were, too. To me, prayer is kind of like worrying, you can take it or leave it but the results will still be the same.

Just had a friend's wife have a good result from breast cancer surgery. And I am very happy for them. And thankful.

However from the Facebook post you would never know that a team of great doctors and probably thousands of dollars went into the results. It was all thank you for all your prayers and thank you God. blah, blah, blah, the classic.

I say - Thank you doctors for all your great surgery skills!! And I say sorry to the doctors for the many Christians that ignore their wonderful skills and efforts and then give credit to something - not there.

• Like 2

My SIL is like this. Even worse, beyond the denial, is her belief about "speaking things into being" by being honest negative. Her life sucks right now, but she'll say, "But God is good" even though clearly he doesn't give a damn about her.

It's so fear-based, all of it. I think I might see if I can rustle up some cookies to take over later on. I think I'll just be upfront with her and say, "look, I'm an atheist, so I don't have anything religious I can say to offer you comfort, but I do have cookies and an ear to listen if you need someone to talk to."

I might not have been close to my biological father, but I do understand the feeling of all the things left unsaid, all the things unresolved and left undone by a sudden death.

Just had a friend's wife have a good result from breast cancer surgery. And I am very happy for them. And thankful.

However from the Facebook post you would never know that a team of great doctors and probably thousands of dollars went into the results. It was all thank you for all your prayers and thank you God. blah, blah, blah, the classic.

I say - Thank you doctors for all your great surgery skills!! And I say sorry to the doctors for the many Christians that ignore their wonderful skills and efforts and then give credit to something - not there.

Yeah, I wonder how many doctors get the shits about that, hey. Forget about all the years of training they did, forget about all study, forget about the scientists who researched and investigated and found drugs to ensure a medical condition became something you just lived with, not something that killed you- yeah, none of that matters, because someone's invisible sky-daddy had more to do with their healing than anything else the doctor or scientists did for them Wendybanghead.gif

• Like 1

I stopped getting the 'pray for Mr or Mrs so and so. I merely wanted a prayer request to grow the limbs of a guy who lost them in the war. They can and usually will quit pretty quick if you just say something. It makes as much sense to me to pray for a new leg as it does to pray for cancer.

People pray because it is their comfort. I was afraid to face reality for many years, I am sure many of you were, too. To me, prayer is kind of like worrying, you can take it or leave it but the results will still be the same.

I think this situation may be worse than that- going by how the lady was talking, I'm thinking she's a pentecostal, and you know what pentecostal funerals can be like- lots of praising gawd that the loved one is with them now, no reason to cry!! *shakes head sadly*