Goodbye Jesus

So It Seems To Me...

Zephie

...that Christians are the only one who are Christians. I mean members of other congregations, doctrines, etc are not Christian. People who do things that they (the said Christian) disagree with are not Christian. I mean Hitler was a Catholic (wasn't he) so that means he is a Christian. There is this mentality, at least in my state, that Catholics are not Christians ( so says all the Evangelicals). Or there is the murderer, rapist, etc who goes to church every Sunday and fervently believes in God yet does unspeakable crimes against people, that person is a Christian because they consider themselves so. I was thinking about how I used to think that homosexuals could never be Christians, however, on this side of things, I see that they are. Their faith is real to them...therefore they are Christians. It is incredibly frustrating to hear my parents or see posts from people on FaceSpace that assume based on their personal thoughts about who and what a Christian is or isn't to tell someone else that their belief is invalid. Just something I was thinking.

oh yes... when we first started going to the baptist church, I remember people talking about who was saved and who wasn't. They all had the "Saved Radar". That's why the first pastor was kicked out -- he was a "wolf in sheep's clothing".

As a baptist I remember not being too sure about those catholics. Methodists and church of christ are fine, pentecostals too (even though they're kinda weird). Mormons and jehovah's witness are definitely on a highway to hell.

Such a crock of shit.

oh yes... when we first started going to the baptist church, I remember people talking about who was saved and who wasn't. They all had the "Saved Radar". That's why the first pastor was kicked out -- he was a "wolf in sheep's clothing".

...Savedar?

Back during the period of time I was forced to listen to American Family Radio on the way home from work (because dad had control of the radio in his car) someone went and on the "Through the Bible" program called in and basically ranted about how stupid the idea of saints are and that Catholics are polytheists and aren't real Christians, etc. Well, what do you know, about two calls later came an enraged Catholic who told the hosts that she thought this was a "Christian" program and went on about how Catholics are people too, then proceeded to try (and fail) to explain how the whole saint thing works and how it's not against the Bible. She eventually hung up but not before huffing and puffing about how she would no longer be supporting that radio station and how they should be ASHAMED for not cutting that man off or stopping and correcting him.

The hosts were speechless for a minute before stuttering and mumbling fake apologies. You KNEW that they agreed with the other guy but that they HAD to apologize, lest they lose their Catholic listeners who give them money.

I was doing everything I could not to burst out laughing in the car in front of my dad (who pretty much agrees with the other guy). There's nothing better than a denominational spat over the radio!

In Alabama, the Southern Baptist line about Catholics was definitely ERMAGHERD PERGAN MARY WERSHIPURS! And Pentecostals were just possessed by demons and/or crazy.

Methodists were "meh, whatever" but not really guaranteed salvation. Only Baptists can do that, I mean, duh.

In Alabama, the Southern Baptist line about Catholics was definitely ERMAGHERD PERGAN MARY WERSHIPURS! And Pentecostals were just possessed by demons and/or crazy.

Methodists were "meh, whatever" but not really guaranteed salvation. Only Baptists can do that, I mean, duh.

Sames here in Louisiana. Crazies.

Catholics were idoltarers and obviously not real Christian according to the Pente church I was in. They needed to be converted in order to avoid hell. My grandma was a Catholic and died as a Catholic and I remember when my father converted and became the member of this Pente church how worried he was for the salvation of his mother.

Other protestants were more okay, but of course they all were in the wrong in some way or another, according to my church. The reformed and the Calvinists and the Baptists etc. lacked the Holy Spook.

After my deconversion it was funny to read papers and articles about how other Christians, including Catholics, thought of Pentes. Of course, to them, they were in the wrong. I have to say they have a point when they question whether all the Charismatic "gifts" are really biblical (most are not.)

Other protestants were more okay, but of course they all were in the wrong in some way or another, according to my church. The reformed and the Calvinists and the Baptists etc. lacked the Holy Spook.

And all that time I thought you guys were fine...traitor.

After my deconversion it was funny to read papers and articles about how other Christians, including Catholics, thought of Pentes. Of course, to them, they were in the wrong. I have to say they have a point when they question whether all the Charismatic "gifts" are really biblical (most are not.)

I remember the Baptist church that I went to when I was engaged...they were against the Charismatic gifst as well. It just didn't make sense that God would speak to them in a language other than their own.

With a book as open to interpretation as the Bible it makes sense that there are as many "right" interpretations as there are people willing to think they know what the Bible means. This naturally leads to "denominations" that believe all the other ones are deluded or misled. How much disdain they have for the others is dependent on how "hardcore" their interpretation is.