Goodbye Jesus

Rosh Hashanah Dinner

silentknight

I may have mentioned before that my father-in-law is Jewish. We were invited over to my in-laws yesterday to have Rosh Hashanah dinner with them. I hadn't been over there since I deconverted, so I was a little nervous about it coming up. Turns out I didn't need to worry about that, they didn't mention it, but the evening got annoying anyway.

Out of the blue my father-in-law starts discussing politics. Saying he doesn't know who to vote for because they both are horrible - which is fine, I can see that. But then he goes on to say he isn't sure if Obama is a muslim, and said something else derogatory about Arabs. He then says he probably won't vote for either, and will skip that part of the ballot. I keep my mouth shut, because I don't want to get into the discussion.

My mother-in-law (who's almost fundie christian, not jewish) normally votes republican, but she starts complaining about how Mitt is a Mormon and how she doesn't trust mormons, but she doesn't want to vote democrat either, so she doesn't know what to do.

Finally they ask me who I'm voting for, so.. relunctantly I say "Obama". My father-in-law asks me why, in a tone of voice that seems to say "why would you vote for HIM?"... I really didn't want to get into a political argument, so I just said that in my opinion he's the better of the two choices, and left it at that. Ugh.

So... the topic of my deconversion never came up, but they almost ruined the night with politics o_O

Have they not heard of third parties, or are Jill Stein and Gary Johnson not on the ballot in your state?

• Super Moderator

Not everyone is informed enough or smart enough to cast an intelligent ballot. Unfortunately, those are usually the ones who do vote while the intelligent and informed often don't bother or throw away their vote on a third party candidate.

They believe a third party vote is throwing away their vote.

• Super Moderator

They believe a third party vote is throwing away their vote.

Well, to vote for someone who has no chance in hell of winning, it is throwing the vote away. One may consider it a statement or protest, but nobody in the power structure really gives a shit. One or the other of the two-sided R/D party will always win. We only get to decide who gets the privilege of implementing the wishes of corporate America. No president will "fix the economy" and our rights will continue to erode. Strictly social issues may see some different implementation depending on the winner, but Congress and the Supreme Court still always have a say.

Well, to vote for someone who has no chance in hell of winning, it is throwing the vote away. One may consider it a statement or protest, but nobody in the power structure really gives a shit. One or the other of the two-sided R/D party will always win. We only get to decide who gets the privilege of implementing the wishes of corporate America. No president will "fix the economy" and our rights will continue to erode. Strictly social issues may see some different implementation depending on the winner, but Congress and the Supreme Court still always have a say.

Agreed, but might as well write in a third party than not vote at all. At least you're filling something in. They're going to vote, anyway, so they can have their say on other matters. Might as well put something in the presidential field.