Goodbye Jesus

Eternal Return

Dio

I didn't want to hijack the abiogenesis thread, but I have a question...

Given the issues discussed in these posts (and others):

Godless Wonder

I think part of the problem is that the human idea of what is likely and unlikely is very bad when it comes to extremes. An extremely low probability event, which only needs to happen once, given enough time, and enough trials, so long as that probability is not exactly zero, will eventually happen. The universe is freakin' huge.

Wertbag

The events required happen in parallel (eg lightning strikes many places at the same time world wide) and in great numbers over long periods of time. All it takes is the right combination... this is the main arguement against, that the odds are too small to make it believeable. Of course small odds happen all the time (eg lotto), and if you remember parallel tries its not as bad (eg buy 1 lotto ticket and you have a 1 in 7,000,0000 chance, buy a million lotto tickets and suddenly its 1 in 7000, repeat at those odds for several years and its only a matter of time).

Does this mean that at some point, maybe in billions or trillions of years, after a few more collapses and expansions of the universe, or in some parallel universe or multiverse (I'm getting into physics and metaphysics here that is way over my head), this will all come back around and we'll be back here again on this website together? :scratch:

I could be possible that we've been doing this for millions of iterations.

But that's so speculative, it's practically religion.

Does this mean that at some point, maybe in billions or trillions of years, after a few more collapses and expansions of the universe, or in some parallel universe or multiverse (I'm getting into physics and metaphysics here that is way over my head), this will all come back around and we'll be back here again on this website together? :scratch:

Ugh... the thought of having to deal with Daniel again... :twitch:

I find this whole topic incredibly fascinating. Too me, it's much more mind-blowing to think that there may be multiple universes existing alongside ours, or that time is cyclical and on a never-ending loop, than to think some musty old desert god created everything.

The other idea that trips me out is the holographic universe concept - the idea that (if I understand it correctly) that our universe is made of holographic information and that it creates the illusion of dimensionality. Matrix, anyone? ;)

Heavy stuff , man. :eek:

Its one of those impossible to know kind of questions. Doesn't matter if you are religious or atheist, no body knows how big the universe is. If it has a size then what is it contained in? Will there ever be an end to it, is it circular, would there ever be a way to tell?

• 2 weeks later...

If the universe is eternal and cyclic then this has happened an infinity of times before! It's pretty mind-gobbling and my gut tells me its false.. but we can't know really until the curvature of the universe has been established.