Goodbye Jesus

Anticipation

Legion

Heys guys... listen, I'm aware that some of you find me distasteful. And that's okay. It really is. I believe it was Mark Twain who first effectively said, "I don't want to be a part of any group which would have me as a member." I am aware that I can be almost intolerably arrogant at times, but I ask for your forbearance as I hope to convey what a growing number of people believe is key concept in biology.

----------------------------------------

Just this morning I spoke on the phone with a refreshingly honest and delightfully intelligent person who is also a member here at ex-C. To protect them from guilt by association with me, I will here name them God of the Machine, GM for short. GM inspired me to begin this thread on the subject of anticipation. And the inmost content of it is mostly due to the work of the theoretical biologist Robert Rosen.

As Rosen originally developed this in his work "Anticipatory Systems", he decribed this as a form of system control. More specifically, anticipation was said to be model guided control. There seems to be a great deal of equivocation these days associated with the term "model", but I heuristically think of it as an understanding. In short then, anticipation as I currently think of it, is self-control guided by understanding.

I suppose I could now venture off into a rather more detailed and lengthy exposition here, but I don't wish to strain the patience of this audience if there is little interest in this subject. So I will let this stand for the moment, and see if there are questions or comments on it. I'm not an expert on this subject, but I will do what I can because I believe there is great potential in it.

Totally off topic...but I read the title of this thread in Tim Curry's voice from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

• Like 2

Totally off topic...but I read the title of this thread in Tim Curry's voice from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Zephie, you may have just done me a great favor. I suppose I will soon see.

It may be "Talk Like a Pirate Day" but you can talk like Tim Curry ANY day!

Although he was a pirate in Muppet Treasure Island...

• Like 1