Goodbye Jesus

Cookie-Cutter Music... Gah! *gags*

Thurisaz

So yeah, it's been Summer technically. Well even actually, over here in Northern Germany, for a while. Fine with me.

And just like every fucking year you get the commercial "music" crap by the same pattern. Cobble together some nonsensical babbling that sounds kind of like a "Southern" language - Italian, Spanish, you get the idea - let some "artist" gibber the lyrics while grinning into the camera like a certified moron or maybe a shaved chimp, and throw in some unnamed girl in the background doing some ass-shaking, voila!, a new Summer "hit".

Groundhog day anyone? :vent:

*off soapbox*

Thanks for listening... now I can be content with having vented and quietly go get drunk :P

Weird, I'm watching Groundhog Day right now.

Was I the only one who expected this topic to be about praise and worship music?

• Like 2

I thought it was going to be a video of Thurisaz banging out a mean ass tempo on his kitchen table.

With his cookie cutters.

Hehe :fdevil:

Seriously, sometimes it so pisses me off... maybe I'm just a fossil in this regard but I always thought music is a form of art and art should be... you know... creative. As in something new every now and then.

Was I the only one who expected this topic to be about praise and worship music?

No. I was too. LOL I can't stand the Cheesy 1-4-5 praise and worship, chanting, Michael W. Smith, style of music. But I hate new secular music too. Im a musician and I think that music now is just computer generated non-sense.

• Like 3

verse

chorus

verse

chorus

bridge ( which realy makes no sense because all it does is loop back to....)

Chorus

Chorus

Chorus

fade out......

If athletes can be sent to jail for performance enhancing drug use, then singers who use auto tune ought to be sent to jail as well.

• Like 2

The trend I notice lately is either a scantily clad teen girl dancing and chanting irrelevant words or a standard four piece band playing two chords really fast and chanting some angst-ridden irrelevant words.

If athletes can be sent to jail for performance enhancing drug use, then singers who use auto tune ought to be sent to jail as well.

Auto-tune was cool when it first came out... now it's extremely painful and annoying to listen to.

Guest Babylonian Dream

I thought this was going to be about country music, but I forget, you're from the mutterlaand.

Just drown it out with Rammstein.

• Like 1

I thought this was going to be about country music, but I forget, you're from the mutterlaand.

Just drown it out with Rammstein.

I want to have Rammstein's babies.

No. If I'm riding with Mom, I get to listen to Selah's inspirational garbage. It's a shame they're Xian--musically, they are pretty good. I used to like them.

As for "cookie-cutter music", do you mean "Call Me Maybe" and the like? Or does that only show up in America and the UK?

Yeah, every time Americans complain about the downfall of the music industry they can at least think to themselves, at least I'm not in Germany. :)

The trend I notice lately is either a scantily clad teen girl dancing and chanting irrelevant words or a standard four piece band playing two chords really fast and chanting some angst-ridden irrelevant words.

Sometimes it can be fun just because it's so cheesy though:

• Like 1

Well, even though this topic wasn't about Christian music, it still fits to complain about how all xtian music sounds the same.

I was on my way to work one day and pulled up next to a car at a light and heard someone playing music loudly. Not blasting it, mind you, just enough that you could barely hear the instruments playing. I didn't listen for five seconds before I KNEW it was xtian music. I didn't even have to hear what the singer was saying. I just KNEW.

!

Omg I can't believe that is a real song. I'm getting old.

As for "cookie-cutter music", do you mean "Call Me Maybe" and the like? Or does that only show up in America and the UK?

Actually i do find that song rather cute (still makes me grin listening to it, especially when I think about the "shocking" end of the video :fdevil: ), though I'm sure they'll eventually play it to death to the point I start hating it... :)

But yeah there's load of crap in that particular style too. To me though the seasonal commerce crap is worse. You know, for Summer time, just think up some Mediterranean-sounding syllables which probably are from no real language this side of R'lyeh and make no sense at all, but the drones out there are tuned to "IF Summer AND SoundsLike(South) THEN BuyIt". It's pretty much the same with pre-Yuletide-times each year, just the details vary slightly (then the crap's usually in English so that I can at least understand it, but the carpet-bombing is even more massive which pisses me off again much more).

And it gets still worse when (as usual) the actual weather outside is anything but like the season should be. I understand the psychological mechanisms at work there but when I look out of my window and see storm and rain, in August, then turn on the TV or radio and get the standard dose of "Summer sunshine sex" babblings at once... GAH!

Actually i do find that song rather cute (still makes me grin listening to it, especially when I think about the "shocking" end of the video firedevil.gif )

sadly call me maybe is one of my guilty pleasures. I have a few songs that I have to turn down when cars pull up just so I don't scare any other drivers.

!

Omg I can't believe that is a real song. I'm getting old.

It's German I think, but oddly intoxicating. Hard to look away. :)

Yeah its a shame that one of the best forms of human expression has been replaced with mass produced garbage. Complex music takes a lot more coginitive faculties to interpret , so it actually is harder for average people to pick up and buy a complex song and appreciate it. Music now is background noise that you listen to when you're doing something else. People don't sit around the record player at night anymore, so what sells is cheap simple songs with hooks and beat and little else.

As for Xian music , I'd agree that its mostly garbage. , but early Queen had some heavily Xian songs , and Trevor Hall is a great Xian singer songwriter. I always throw people when I tell them I'm listening to Xian music.

Queen was great in that they could ( and did) make a great song about almost everything. Even jesus

There will probably never be another band as ecclectic and innovative as Queen. Like it or not , they were anything but cookie cutter. ( except for maybe their 80s stuff)

I didn't listen for five seconds before I KNEW it was xtian music. I didn't even have to hear what the singer was saying. I just KNEW.

Christian guitar players over-use the sustained chord, they all imagine they are the Edge of u2.

Rose-colored glasses?