Goodbye Jesus

Sometimes Science Must Give Way To Religion

RintrahRoars

A friend posted this interesting article written by an atheist. I figure a good number of you are already raging at the title, but give it a read and tell me what you think.

http://www.nature.com/news/sometimes-science-must-give-way-to-religion-1.11244

(sorry if it's already been posted)

Guest Babylonian Dream

The title doesn't make sense with the article. As for the idea that we won't have a practical use for the knowledge of th higgs. Thats like saying I have no use for the idea that matter can't travel faster than the speed of light. But many things I rely upon depend upon that very fact! I know this, and am glad I do!

To be honest though, I do think there is a place for religion in some form in some sense, but as long as its not lying to people about the nature of reality. See, religion tends to be more about false certainty than mystery and the unknown.

A friend posted this interesting article written by an atheist. I figure a good number of you are already raging at the title, but give it a read and tell me what you think.

I was amused at the title rather than raging. I thought perhaps we had another Christian witness.

http://www.nature.co...eligion-1.11244

(sorry if it's already been posted)

I disagree with that author's take on science and faith. He mixes and confuses them in ways that are not proper.

As for the idea that we won't have a practical use for the knowledge of th higgs.

I don't think he says that. Or are you referring to "the Higgs discovery gives me no access to insight about the mystery of existence"?

First, the author is confusing spirituality and religion. They are two entirely different things.

Secondly, there is no meaning to life - other than what we give it. Nature makes that very clear - life simply exists. Religion may claim to give meaning to life, but since religion is man-made, it is still us as humans giving meaning to life - a person is simply choosing to allow another person to do it for them, rather than figuring out something for themselves.

• Like 2

I think there is a confusion in this article. He could substitute the word "aesthetics" for religion and make as much sense.

There is ultimately no conflict between the kind of awe he feels in looking at the temple and scientific endeavor.

Guest Babylonian Dream

As for the idea that we won't have a practical use for the knowledge of th higgs.

I don't think he says that. Or are you referring to "the Higgs discovery gives me no access to insight about the mystery of existence"?

It's how I read it. Even still, the "mystery of existence" is overly vague and poetic, and doesn't help much in describing what he's talking about. That being said, I think the author needs to find out what is really behind his general notions before he posts an article of what he thinks.

I'll agree with Eugene39 and Deva on this one though, what he wants isn't religion of aesthetics, spirituality, and is confusing those with religion. Science need not give way to either, the three actually compliment eachother. Religion is false certainty, which science is mutually incompatable with, and simply needs not give way to it under any circumstances.

So a feeling of awe is synonymous with religion? A feeling of awe connects me to the mystery of existence? I've been to the Grand Canyon. It was awe inspiring but I didn't immediately fall to my knees to thank god for this wonderful thing he made. Sometimes I listen to awesome music (brought to me by science) that blows me away. It isnt necessarily a religious experience...

I think religion and science can and will co-exist.

• Super Moderator

Nonsense.

One of the comments refuted it well. Excerpt:

Does religion give us an insight into the "unknowable and the inexplicable", as the author concludes? Of course not. It provides no knowledge; it obtains no evidence. It can only pontificate and seek to emotionally impress. Religious faith provides comfort, control, and social reinforcement for animals that are cursed (or blessed) by the knowledge that they will die.

• Like 1