Goodbye Jesus

The Reason for the Season

Jose

I wrote this last year about this same time and posted it to another board that I was active in.

I find that it rings true, year after year, Christmas after Christmas....

You know, I think the reason that I dislike Christmas so much isn't because I'm a cynical, jaded bastard. It's not because I'm not a Christian and find nothing to celebrate in the usurpation of a pagan tradition by church elders. It isn't even because I'm railing against the flagrant commercialization of a sacred turning point in the year...

I think the real reason I dislike Christmas so much is because people lose sight of what is really important all year long and then claim to advocate "peace on earth" and "good will towards men" from Thanksgiving until December 26th and then go out on December 31st and kill each other in drunken accidents while celebrating the passing of another mediocre year. A year full of answering "not much" and "okay, I guess" to people's inquiries of "what's going on?" and "how are you?" Another year foul with politicking and ass-kissing in the workplace, another year of remembering only the worst that happened and filtering the visions of your future with the pessimism that 2004 has caused to grow within you.

Christmas, to me, means much more than that. It's a new start. It's not the end of the year, trying to go out with a bang... it's the beginning of another chance at life. Another go round with my friends. Another opportunity to curl my toes in the soft, fresh grass of spring. Another series of nights of bliss with my lover. Another chance to redeem those promises I made only to myself. To once more stand and stare laughing at the sun, making my courage known to the world, full of light... full of hope.

Another chance to love someone just for being who they are.

So, you may ask me, what is the real reason for the season if it isn't Jesus or peace or relatives? If Christmas isn't about guilt or sadness or grief or remembering those who came before us, what the heck is it actually about? If I shouldn't be holding a grudge or adding to the chip on my shoulder, what should I be doing? What's it all about, Jose? Why do we celebrate as we do? Why is this time of year so special?

I'll tell you why. It's because Christmas is about one thing... and one thing only.

Christmas is about the ham.

And not just any old ham, either. It's about the spiral cut, honey-baked ham with the burnt crispy bits and the juicy, succulent meat next to the bone.

This is what it's all about, people...

ham.jpg

Heh.... that was pretty good, jose. :D

A year full of answering "not much" and "okay, I guess" to people's inquiries of "what's going on?" and "how are you?"

I love this line. :thanks:

MMMMmmmmmm.....Haaammmm.

homer_drool.gif

Nice post. I like it.

Merlin

I would have liked it if it was turkey.

I think ham is so gross

Christmas is about turkey.

Easter is about ham.

Jeez, get it right people. :vent:

LOL, Cerise.

My Scandinavian grandma still makes lutefisk on Christmas (in addition to turkey or ham or something else). She also makes the best cookies.

I was gonna roast a goose, thus bringing into question The One True Meaning of The Season, but we got invited to friends who'll probably have, you guessed it, HAM! Damn it, Jose, you're right on.

The season IS about The Ham. Not the goose.

My life is finally beginning to come into focus, make sense. The scales are falling from my eyes.

Quick, somebody call that son of Oral Roberts or Benny Hinn. We gotta market this. And why not go to The Real Pros.

(I guess it's been sort of a long day...I'm losing it.)

MMMMmmmmmm.....Haaammmm.

homer_drool.gif

It's still good, it's still good.

Hey Jose, can I steal this, I'll credit you, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Steal away!

My highest aspiration is that one day I will receive that post as a forwarded email from someone I know who thinks I should read it because it's funny.

Steal away!

My highest aspiration is that one day I will receive that post as a forwarded email from someone I know who thinks I should read it because it's funny.

So forwarding is the higest form of flattering?

thanks