Goodbye Jesus

i cant help but notice this and wonder why?

willybilly30

I can’t help but notice all the questions I ask Christians they cant answer.

However, atheists can answer, pagans can answer, Buddhists can answer.

I mean damn you would think Christians would know about their religion.

Why is it all us on here who are anti Christian or exchristian are smarter than the Christians about their religion?

Why is it all us on here who are anti Christian or exchristian are smarter than the Christians about their religion?

Because we rely upon Evidence and Facts and not faith. The two aren't even in the same reality.

Faith wouldn't be faith if it had Facts, and vice versa. There are those of us who blindly follow, and those of us who want and need answers to hard questions, and REFUSE to follow blindly. The Reality is, following with out thinking requires little to no responsibility for actions. They are told what's acceptable and what's not. It's also why I believe that Fundys and a large majority of Church goers are just plain nasty and mean, and they are never accountable for how they treat others, Their beliefs force them to be that way. It's all lame ass finger pointing IMO but it never the less is a 'reality' in their minds.

Oh theres plenty of answers "God did it", "The Bible says its so and the bible is never wrong", "You'll never understand cos the holy spirit doesn't reside in you", "The truth can only be found through prayer and the study of the bible" or any of the other unhelpful non-answers you can get.

Alternatively you can choose your own definitions of almost any word or term, define any school/science/idea in a freaky way (think Chick Tracts) or simply make up new science to fill in the gaps.

Now, now, if the fundies actually understood what

they believed, they might start asking questions, and if they

started asking questions, they might start doubting what they

believed.....and then how would the Pat Robertsons of this

world make a living?

:HaHa:

The word blindly explains it.

It’s like Christians are blind and im trying to ask them about what they can’t see.

Because we rely upon Evidence and Facts and not faith. The two aren't even in the same reality.

Faith wouldn't be faith if it had Facts, and vice versa. There are those of us who blindly follow, and those of us who want and need answers to hard questions, and REFUSE to follow blindly. The Reality is, following with out thinking requires little to no responsibility for actions. They are told what's acceptable and what's not. It's also why I believe that Fundys and a large majority of Church goers are just plain nasty and mean, and they are never accountable for how they treat others, Their beliefs force them to be that way. It's all lame ass finger pointing IMO but it never the less is a 'reality' in their minds.

I do not understand how Christians can read their bible and believe in it.

They probably secretly doubt it but do not want to admit it.

I get it now their avoiding questions because it makes them doubt winch they think is wrong.

Oh theres plenty of answers "God did it", "The Bible says its so and the bible is never wrong", "You'll never understand cos the holy spirit doesn't reside in you", "The truth can only be found through prayer and the study of the bible" or any of the other unhelpful non-answers you can get.

Alternatively you can choose your own definitions of almost any word or term, define any school/science/idea in a freaky way (think Chick Tracts) or simply make up new science to fill in the gaps.

yea and thats why they avoid the questions and just spew out non sense. i am glad i never avoided questions and trying to find the answers. thinking leads to freedom

Now, now, if the fundies actually understood what

they believed, they might start asking questions, and if they

started asking questions, they might start doubting what they

believed.....and then how would the Pat Robertsons of this

world make a living?

:HaHa:

The word blindly explains it.

It’s like Christians are blind and im trying to ask them about what they can’t see.

I do not understand how Christians can read their bible and believe in it.

They probably secretly doubt it but do not want to admit it.

I get it now their avoiding questions because it makes them doubt winch they think is wrong.

One Reason, and one Only, Fear.

They fear doubting God, even questioning him could put their soul in extreme jeopardy. Hence they blindly follow because they are afraid to look anywhere else or even question what they believe might not be true. A loss of a loved one, or fear of death could cause one to blindly believe also. The Churches have capitalized on fear mongering with hell fire and brimstone. The Church is also very clever in telling the sheep not to look into any other religions, that it's a sign of weakness et al. The People refuse to look at history and damn well wont study pagan religions so they don't have the foggiest idea the very fundamentals of their beliefs were practiced by the evil pagans they love to damn to hell. It's all very ironic and sad really. Fear is the one emotion that doesn't need a reason to exist. It causes people to change and become so afraid that they are willing to disown family members. Look at Margaret Parrin (sp?) from that trading spouses episode. She wasn't a "God Warrior" she's was a terrified women, Fear causes fundys to behave like that, not belief.

aruggg.. Quotes aren't working, I color blocked it.. :shrug:

Because most churches embrace ignorance. Keep the sheep ignorant, and they will believe. This is why doing research on church history or on other religions is considered a sin in many, many churches. You aren't supposed to gain knowledge of outside beliefs, because it might threaten your own and "lead you astray." Gee, I wonder if that's because Christianity isn't the One True Religion after all? After all, a One True Religion shouldn't be threatened by other belief systems. But it is.

Not only are they thought WHAT to think, they're also taught NOT to think, NOT to question. They're taught what answers to answer when questioned and if responses are given, they're just handwaved and ignored. They're warned, aren't they? Not to question, This is the Answer, That OTHER answer is Wrong because they're told it's wrong. If they're told it's wrong, most will not bother to investigate any further.

Those that do, end up here :)

It sounds like cult behavior to me.

Funny how Christians call other religions cults

They should be looking at their own religion

I figure we all look smarter because we've actually thought about it.

It amazes me how many people here, too, came to reject Xianity once they actually started reading the bible and taking a closer look. Maybe a lot of Xians realize that they might fall away, too, if they took a closer look.

If you've got the threat of hellfire hanging over your head, that's a pretty threatening prospect. Devout Xians don't like doubt. Doubt, I think, can lead to a strengthening of a faith, but it's equally likely to lead to a rejecting of faith entirely.

I also don't think that people really like to know what truth or reality is. I can remember how easy it was to figure out, for instance, what the purpose of my life was when I was Xian: it was to do the work of the lord. End of story. Truth is, though, that my life may well not have any purpose at all. I'm just alive. That's kind of scary, in a way. I've realized that I have to construct my own purpose, and that terrifies me sometimes. I can do what I want - but what do I want to do?

How many people are really prepared to realize that?

Think of what you give up when you reject Xianity. You give up a purpose for your existence, you give up doing what someone else tells you to do, you give up rules and structure and all kinds of things. You give up community, a lot of the time. Sometimes you give up family and friends. I'd rather give up all those things than live in a fantasy fairy world with a big pissy skydaddy - but therein lies some security, nonetheless.

I dunno. Just some late-night, sleep-med influenced thoughts. Thanks for readin' my ramble.

And of course, there are those strange "faithful" persons (take the crazy Asatruar who currently writes this posting as an example) who basically hold ideas which are irrational... but know that, and thus don't run around and bother anybody else. ;)

Because most churches embrace ignorance. Keep the sheep ignorant, and they will believe. This is why doing research on church history or on other religions is considered a sin in many, many churches. You aren't supposed to gain knowledge of outside beliefs, because it might threaten your own and "lead you astray." Gee, I wonder if that's because Christianity isn't the One True Religion™ after all? After all, a One True Religion ™ shouldn't be threatened by other belief systems. But it is.

Funny, ain't it? Basically, what the fundies do is demand special rights for their cult. Everything else, if they have their way, is subject to extreme scepticism and scrutiny... except for their own dogma. Gee, makes me wonder... could fundies be hypocrites? :fdevil:

It sounds like cult behavior to me.

Funny how Christians call other religions cults

They should be looking at their own religion

You don't really expect that they actually read more of the book of lies than their führer tells them to, do you? :vent:

(Edit: Just in case that's not clear already, I refer to that "mote and housebeam" verse...)

most christians i know just read the bible on sunday i doubt many have read it from front to back.

its all preacher worship really bro. so in so says this bro so in so says that.

i have tried to read it just to see what it all says but its just not that interesting.

I think another reason is that thinking outside the box is not encouraged in Xtianity.

• 4 weeks later...

Because we thought long and hard about it before coming to a decision. Those who are not monotheistic can accept other gods (or no gods) just fine. So they learn.

Christians can be raised Christian, grow Christian, and die Christian without ever really questioning anything or trying to find answers themselves.