Goodbye Jesus

A Short Parable

Tzarza

I wrote this sometime after my deconversion, before I'd embraced Atheism. I had this impulse to demonize still-xians, and I also feared that I might be demonized for no longer believing. This was my way of trying to straighten those thoughts out. I was hoping that it could be read fairly from both a believing and non-believing perspective. A rabbit-duck illusion.

Two friends are walking through a field on their way from one place to another. All of the sudden, a large purple bunny with a crown on its head jumps out of the ground in front of them. It says, "Hey pal, this is my field. You can't be here unless you're wearing this special bunny pin on your right lapel" as he pulls out a fancy bunny pin for each of them. "It's just a sign of respect, no big deal. But you will be part of a special club now. I call it: BunnyGoodTimes Club."

One of the friends is a long-time believer in purple bunnies, and says, "Bunny, I've been hoping to see you for so long! I have to get that bunny pin on my lapel right now. Thank you, purple, talking bunny! See you around this field sometime, maybe we'll play badminton."

The other doesn't believe in purple bunnies. As the believer tells him to take the pin so that they can get a move on, he says "Purple bunny, who put that crown on your head. Is there a recorder in there? Are you electronic? Why are you talking? Why are you purple?" 

The believer in purple bunnies says, "Friend, you really gotta just look at what's in front of you, and listen to the talking bunny. He's not all that demanding, and what he's saying is sensible. It's his field!" 

The non-believer says, "Forget what the bunny says, help me find where he's being controlled from. You think he has an antenna under that crown?" 

The friends argue in the field for three days. The first one insisting that they listen to the bunny and accept the pin, the second one arguing that this must be a practical joke. No one owns the field, and bunnies can't talk. 

The believing friend says, "Look, I can see the bunny talking right in front of both of us. Why can't you just do what it says?" And the non-believing friend says, "I don't care what the bunny says, it's just a really convincing puppet. Someone's taking advantage of your gullibility. I'm not going to make decisions based on what a strange puppet in a field tells me."

When the believer of the purple bunnies goes home to his family of other bunny-believers, they all congratulate him for finally running into the bunny. They ask him how it went, and he shows off his lapel pin. All of the believers are sad that the non-believing friend couldn't appreciate the bunny, and understand how awesome it was to be in his field. They all wish that one day, the non-believer will one day realize that the bunny is real. They shake their heads and say, "Some people.." 

When the non-believer goes home to his family of non-bunny-believers, he tells his story incredulously. He talks about how his bunny-believing friend was unwilling to note all of the incredibly suspicious aspects of the bunny's location, speech patterns, and outfit. His non-believer friends roll their eyes, and wish that one day the believer friend will pull his head out of the sand and admit that he'd been duped. They shake their heads and say, "Some people.."
  • Like 4

Awesome. Very thought-provoking.