Goodbye Jesus

Does Religion cause Evil?

Hero of Hyrule

I'd say western religion created evil in that it portrays a dicotomy that doesn't actually exist in the real world...

I think I see where you're going, but could you be more specific just so I'm sure?

Merlin

I think that the people who do the most harm in religion would do so with or without it. They are just able to enlist more people into their cause and propogate their views onto others with the tool of religion.

I think that the people who do the most harm in religion would do so with or without it. They are just able to enlist more people into their cause and propogate their views onto others with the tool of religion.

Great post, Taph.

Evil is evil. It comes from within and whatever tool is handy will be used to propetuate it.

Great post, Taph.

Evil is evil. It comes from within and whatever tool is handy will be used to propetuate it.

True enough. I agree wholeheartedly with you, Sofi.

The only problem is that Christianity as a whole seems all too accomidating a tool... even given the most positive interpretation, it's all too easy to 'break' the message it sends and twist it around to disasterous harm... and with a critical analasys a lot of ugly things start cropping up.

Even assuming the bible authors had the best of intentions... the result still caused a lot of destruction.

Merlin

It's a magnifer of morals.

Religion is the glass you see through for bad or good.

Religion is power. Power is used to control. Power can be abused.

Therefore, religion can be a tool for good or evil.

But if you control them unjustly, then be prepared for a terrible backlash or degeneration of society...