Goodbye Jesus

Unitarian Church

asdf99

I was just curious if anyone out there attends a Unitarian Church? The one thing I miss about my Christian life is the social aspects of the church. I have considered attending a Unitarian church and was just curious if someone could compare it to regular Christian churches. Is it set up the same way with preachers, elders, etc. Do you sing songs? I have no idea what its about which is why I’m posting this.

Nope. One of my greatest fears is becoming brainwashed again.

cincyunixguy~

From what I understand, it is a all-inclusive church that focuses on the love of Christ and His teachings. I believe there is worship music and prayer and sermons just like other churches, but the heavy emphasis is on grace and loving people, no matter what path they have chosen.

Amanda may be able to shed more light on this.

Sofi

This may answer your questions.

http://www.uua.org/aboutuu/uufaq.html

Not necessarily, SN. Go to the link I posted. I think I may be wrong about the focus being Christianity.

If you look around, you can find a bar where they sing songs....

:68:

You Fools (joking of course)

A unitarian church is not a christian church. The Unitarian Church is an organization where many people of different beliefs get together and share ideas and listen to the pastor guy talk. There is no way to become brainwashed by a unitarian church because it is a combination of all beliefs. Yes I have attended Spindletop Unitarian Church for about a year and it is one of the most joyous experiences I have had. It contains as much christian thought as it does Buddhist, Hindu, Islam, Pagan, whatever. Whenever you sing you sing to the spirits of love and Kindness, Basically it just people a reason to stand up share ideas and enjoy singing with one another. Repeat, Unitarians can be christians, But the majority are other faiths and even Unitarianism itself can be the faith for them (believing in everything). Their Philosophy is quite grand actually. They get along while we and the christians constantly bicker. So yes I would check it out

cincyunix guy. Its an interesting experience

There is no way to become brainwashed by a unitarian church because it is a combination of all beliefs. Yes I have attended Spindletop Unitarian Church for about a year and it is one of the most joyous experiences I have had. It contains as much christian thought as it does Buddhist, Hindu, Islam, Pagan, whatever.

That actually sounds kind of like the best of both worlds in a way. Religion without doctrine. I'll keep that in the back of my mind for a "maybe check it out if I feel like it sometime" kind of day.

Of course we should check with our pal Daniel first whether he approves of it or not. If he doesn't, then the bus leaves at 3:00!!

Yeah i definitely don't want to attend one that is jesus focused. I might as well go back to a Christian church if that was the case. In a way, the members of this group are sort of like our own church. Its great we can all talk like this but to bad we can’t all beam to one location and actually sit and talk that way. Wouldn’t that be a cool technology of the future! Yes I am a trekie so shut up please :D !

A couple of years ago I attended some function at a Unitarian church. My SiL was singing so I got roped in. They don't deify jesus or anything, but all the talk of spirituality and teachings of christ/Buddha/et al was just too much for me. They aren't dogmatic, but they still take a similar leap of faith at the expense of logic that other xtian churches do.

Not for me.

Personally i can't stand anything that feels remotely religious or even structurally organized in a way that feels like church to me. I met a communist at a war protest rally in DC and went along to one of their meetings just for the hell of it. Even there, there was pressure to join up and throw your allegiances along with them.

Again, not for me.

I'm so touchy about this stuff now that when I was invited to a humanitarian meeting a few years back I bowed out because the agenda for the meeting was too much like a church bulletin.

Hmmm... Maybe I have issues stemming from 18 years of forced church attendance.

No I definatly agree with you Vigile. Thats why I've been sort of hesitant to go to one. I imagine thats how they are. Mythra's probably got the best advice on this topic!

Although I haven't attended any UU services recently, I have a few times in the past, and although it leaned towards "deism" it wasn't dependent on those ideas. My oldest brother is very active in his UU church, and he is a gay atheist.

I guess I'm just not really all that social myself, I really think its a valid place to go if you want that social setting, but without any of the crap of the regular church. We have a UU here in dallas that caters mostly to earth religions. The one I went to years back in Denton had a lot of buddhist & atheists in its ranks. I certainly never felt any brainwashing or indoctrination. I went to a methodist church with a girl I was dating quite some time ago, and when the (young unmarried) youth director delivered his sermon on how parents should spend more time with his children, I lost my ability to enter the doors of an X-ian church, even to humor a friend. The UU church a couple years later was a breath of fresh air.

I think you should abandon the thought of church completely and play roleplaying games. Gamers don't judge you based on anything except how well your play the game.

Embrace your inner geek!

Sitting in the back room of a game shop with your friends arguing over fictional characters is a lot more fun if no one around the table actually believes the characters were real.

Churches of any kind give me the heebie-jeebies. I can't stand to be around that much concentrated willful ignorance. I mean, Unitarian churches are a little different, but the fact that they call themselves a "church" and embrace spiritualism (in whatever form) really creeps me out.

There's one not too far from my house and I went there once. It seemed like the same old bullshit I used to get at Mass during the homily except diluted, whitewashed, and sugar-coated enough to not offend any particular faith.

I couldn't stand it and walked out about thirty minutes into it.

I stopped going to church long before I abandoned christianity. You must have had some nice "fuzzy" fellowship experiences......but then......if there is any indication looking at your avatar.....you are a guy.

Guys experience something different from Church fellowship than women. First of all, the chicks are practically throwing themselves at you (could be good or bad depending how you feel about the girls in question).

This is NOT what women usually experience particularly when they outnumber the guys (often the case). Especially the ladies who look decent AND took their education seriously. Even if the lady weren't interested in the men on offer at church, can you say "shunned" or "ostrasized"? The women see you only as a competitor for the available males instead of friendship material.

If I ever want to experience anything like that again, I'll head for Africa and hang with real lionesses (oddly, they would likely be more tolerant of me).

Until I lose my marbles as do something silly like that, I will enjoy the comradeship I find here just fine.

Funny, but I went to a Unitarian church the first time last Sunday. I got the idea from another thread on this site. It was nice, but the minister was preaching on the verse from Micah that goes, "do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with thy god." I thought there was a lot of general blather and God-talk and not much specific. I didn't feel I need general exhortations to do the stuff I try to do every day; I have internalized the generalizations way too much for my own good, probably, anyway. Then I was denied entrance into the 30s-40s group because I'm 52! (yes, I admit it.)

So I didn't go back but I might try another Unitarian church in town. I do miss affiliation with a "tribe," so to speak.

WhiteRaven:

I assume you were responding to my post.

I stopped going to church long before I abandoned christianity. You must have had some nice "fuzzy" fellowship experiences......but then......if there is any indication looking at your avatar.....you are a guy.

Ummm... no "warm fuzzies," just a HUGE improvement over X-ian. "recently" for me is over 10 years ago... and I stopped the church thing long before ditching x-ianity as well, except for a few times in a 10-yr period I can count on one hand.

Guys experience something different from Church fellowship than women. First of all, the chicks are practically throwing themselves at you (could be good or bad depending how you feel about the girls in question).

LOL!!! I wish!!! Maybe I would have gone more than twice had that been the case! I met my wife 9 years ago online (in the internet dark ages), and have always kinda kept to myself. I have a small circle of friends, and am very happy with that. A big social thing holds no appeal to me, I grew up with that crap and have no need of it in adulthood.

Until I lose my marbles as do something silly like that, I will enjoy the comradeship I find here just fine.

100% agreement here. My wife thinks I spent TOO much time on the computer...

I have a very bad reaction whenever I come within 50 yards of any church, kinda like Damien in the movie the Omen. Personally I would rather be beaten, robbed, starved and left out in the snow to die than have to go back to church. When I am in church I feel like I am in hell :Hmm:

WhiteRaven:

I assume you were responding to my post.

Technically I was just responding to the thread in a general sort of way......because of the experience I had, and watched a few other girls go through, it made me strongly question why anyone would seek that sort of humiliating sadistic treatment.....and I figured it had to be likely that others had a different experience than myself.

So when someone speaks of missing fellowship....I still have to fight the urge to recoil and scream:

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR EVER-LOVING MIND!!?

Which would truly confuse people who had the warm "fuzzy" church experience outweigh the calculating coldness that I and some others experienced (no way I'm alone on this! I went to three different churches and found mate-driven lunatic pirahnas in all three!).

I was just curious if anyone out there attends a Unitarian Church? The one thing I miss about my Christian life is the social aspects of the church. I have considered attending a Unitarian church and was just curious if someone could compare it to regular Christian churches. Is it set up the same way with preachers, elders, etc. Do you sing songs? I have no idea what its about which is why I’m posting this.

:)Hi Cincyunixguy!

I've recently attended a church called the Center for Spiritual Living. It embaraces all spiritual teachings, AND incorporates science/reasoning too. The problem I've found, is it stays rather superficial to accommodate such diverse attendees.

If you are single, you might like a nation wide club called Outdoor and Active. They offer different activities from movies, bowling, dinner, to canoeing and skiing. Also, another club for any marital status, that is more intellectually oriented, is for public speaking and called Toastmasters. I think any organized group with similar interests will provide you with at least some of the socializing you miss.

At the Unitarian church I have attended, we have a big stone pentagram in the back for Wiccans, a Meditation area for Buddhists, and many other attractions that peak most peoples spiritual interest. A few Months back, they were giving away tickets to see the Dalai Lama in Houston. And also the only christian anything I saw there was when the Pastor Compared Noahs flood to a similiar story by some natives on a small pacific Island. All it appears to be to me is talking about different faiths. Theres not really any indoctrination. It's a place to learn. Oh and Vigile, no matter what group it is they usually believe they are right and want others to join. Religion or not, there will always be some form of attemting indoctrination.

Peace,

BC

I think you should abandon the thought of church completely and play roleplaying games. Gamers don't judge you based on anything except how well your play the game.

Heh...I did that in college. I miss it now. I'm 30 and it's hard to find a gaming group that isn't comprised of teens and college kids. Would be nice to find one in RL again.

If you are single, you might like a nation wide club called Outdoor and Active.

What if you're a geek, not very active, and the most you do outside is a walk from time to time?

I joined a Star Trek club in college and still am part of one, but there aren't any eligible single members (except for a mentally disabled guy in his 50's who doesn't shower).

I also joined a writer's group, but most of the people there are over 50. Because I write a lot, I don't have a lot of time to join another club. Maybe if it met once a month on a Saturday or Sunday that the Trek club didn't meet.

I joined a Star Trek club in college and still am part of one, but there aren't any eligible single members (except for a mentally disabled guy in his 50's who doesn't shower).

I also joined a writer's group, but most of the people there are over 50. Because I write a lot, I don't have a lot of time to join another club. Maybe if it met once a month on a Saturday or Sunday that the Trek club didn't meet.

I have considered joining a star trek club but i have not. i'm sort of a newbie trekkie. i started watching in 1998. i've seen all of TOS, 3/4 of TNG, 1/8 of VYG, 1/100 of DS9 and 1/100 of ENT. SO I wouldn't be worthy to step into a meeting like that. But I'll tell you what, I sure have fun watching them by myself. I can't seem to get any of my female friends to watch with me and they actually enjoy it. oh well.

I have considered joining a star trek club but i have not. i'm sort of a newbie trekkie. i started watching in 1998. i've seen all of TOS, 3/4 of TNG, 1/8 of VYG, 1/100 of DS9 and 1/100 of ENT. SO I wouldn't be worthy to step into a meeting like that. But I'll tell you what, I sure have fun watching them by myself. I can't seem to get any of my female friends to watch with me and they actually enjoy it. oh well.

Trek isn't like church, you don't have to be "worthy" to join. In fact, most of my friends in fleet actually have lives. :D

We don't memorize every single episode or quote from them on a regular basis, nor do we wear pointy ears and uniforms to work (well, maybe on Halloween).

And hey, I'm female and a geek. Many of my friends are also. We are not that uncommon. We just tend to be the quiet one sitting in the corner with our noses in a book (or laptop).

If you are really interested in joining a Trek club, I recommend Starfleet. It's a worldwide organization. I'm in one of the MN chapters. Most Starfleet clubs also do some charity. It's a great way to channel "fannish" energy into helping out the community.

www.sfi.org