Goodbye Jesus

Histerical Channel Does It Again

stryper

http://youtu.be/a6X_xptubB8?t=6m26s

I KNOW this "hypothesis", though that is way to generous of a term, is bullshit. 

First, there is NO WAY the human body could do that.  We do emit radiation. However, it is in the form of heat.  There is some that happens and can be picked up by a Geiger counter, but my understanding of why is about 20+ years old by now.  However, I have never heard of glowing humans out side of post apocalyptic nuclear wasteland novels.

Second,  the Shroud of Turin did wrap some body.   If it was the body of Jesus and the story of the crucifiction is slightly accurate, then the Romans were in a hurry to bury the body.  It is there for possible that the human was still alive at the time of burial.  If the body was still alive, then it would continue to bleed, sweat and piss.  This releases salts and proteins that would stain the Shroud. 

Third,  Welll I really don't have a third.  

Any other help here would be helpful. 

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

4xfBC.jpg

How is it possible that those sacred historians, who carefully related all the miracles that took place at Christ’s death, should have omitted to mention one so remarkable as the likeness of the body of our Lord remaining on its wrapping sheet? This fact undoubtedly deserved to be recorded. St John, in his Gospel, relates even how St Peter, having entered the sepulcher, saw the linen clothes lying on one side, and the napkin that was about his head on the other; but he does not say that there was a miraculous impression of our Lord’s figure upon these clothes, and it is not to be imagined that he would have omitted to mention such a work of God if there had been any thing of this kind.

Another point to be observed is, that the evangelists do not mention that either of the disciples or the faithful women who came to the sepulcher had removed the clothes in question, but, on the contrary, their account seems to imply that they were left there. Now, the sepulcher was guarded by soldiers, and consequently the dothes were in their power. Is it possible that they would have permitted the disciples to take them away as relics, since these very men had been bribed by the Pharisees to perjure themselves by saying that the disciples had stolen the body of our Lord? I shall conclude with a convincing proof of the audacity of the Papism Wherever the holy sudary is exhibited, they show a large sheet with the full-length likeness of a human body on it. Now, St John’s Gospel, chapter nine-teenth, says that Christ was buried according to the manner of the Jews; and what was their custom?

This may be known by their present custom on such occasions, as well as from their books, which describe the ancient ceremony of interment, which was to wrap the body in a sheet, to the shoulders, and to cover the head with a separate cloth. This is precisely how the evangelist described it, saying, that St Peter saw on one side the clothes with which the body had been wrapped, and on the other the napkin from about his head. In short, either St John is a liar, or all those who boast of possessing the holy sudary are convicted of falsehood and deceit.

- John Calvin, 1543, Treatise on Relics

I love it when you can use one nut to crack another. Of course, Calvin has presented a false dichotomy. It could be that "John" is a liar and all those who boast of possessing the "holy sudary" are frauds.
  • Like 2

Every single other relic the Christian faith has venerated has turned out to be horse puckey. I'm not holding out much hope that this will be the one single relic that turns out to be FOR REALSIES GUYS. Given that no source really mentions Jesus as a venerated person until what, a century or two after his death?, it seems unlikely that his followers--who are just as completely, totally, damningly absent from the historical record of 30ish CE as Jesus himself is--had the wherewithal to grab and keep his shroud safe all these years and not tamper at all with it, as Dark Ages Christians are well-known to have done with a number of Christian sites, relics, and stories.

What many shroud believers fail to see is that there is no distortion in the image.  If it was placed on a 3D object when the image was applied it would be massively distorted, like representing the globe on a 2d map.  Since there is no distortion then the shroud was flat when the image was applied.  Personally, I feel the most likely theory is that the shroud is a medivel attempt at the first photograph.