Goodbye Jesus

I'm going to church today

asdf99

What do you think I should do? Today I am going to church to see my daughter who is 6 years old sing in her church Christmas program. I want to be there to support her and cheer her on. I would like to stay for the entire service and congradulate her at the end for a job well done. etc. My significant other says we should just show up, watch her sing, and the immediatly leave. The problem is, my ex and my ex-mother in law have been known to rush out of events and not let us congradulat my daugher. But those events are usually school related. This will be the first time we show up at her church so its highly unlikely she'd rush out of the event. So we have a debate in our house this morning as what we should do. SO it is up to you all. If most of you think we should stay for the entire thing, we will. If the majority of you think we should stay for only the kids christmas program and leave immediatly after that. We'll do that. This is our compromise to solve this problem. So what do you think?

I would stay for the whole thing in order to properly acknowledge the child's performance. As parents, we show our love through personal sacrifice from time to time.

Just yesterday, I endured an hour at the church of Chuck E. Cheese to make my little daughter happy. I hope your experience is not as hellish. If the sermon sucks, just draw on the offering envelopes or write a letter or something.

My $.02

You're already going, so I recommend you stay for the entire thing so you can speak to her afterwards. It will likely mean a lot to her and you might get the added bonus of pissing off your ex and ex-MIL (if that's something you'd find pleasing :wicked: ).

I voted before I read the post no. but if I could change my answer I would say stay because it might hurt her feelings if you leave.

STAY! This is a "no-brainer". This entire affair is about your DAUGHTER, not the stinking church. Filter out and ignore all the dumb stuff. Jockey and manuever and GET to see and congratulate your child. Let no one impede you in this. Anyone who would interfere with you seeing your child is a stupid person who should be beaten soundly about the head and shoulders.

Guest Tehuti Nefer

I have to agree that staying will probably be the best thing.

During her performance she might not even see you in the audience. Rushing out will give the in-laws an opportunity to make some snide remark.

If you are firm in your (un)belief the service may be uncomfortale and boring but it won't kill you. However, if this is a Baptist church where the services are four hours long all bets are off and you can leave.

I say Stay. I'm sure she will sing her little heart out to make you proud. You're going to support your child, bring her flowers to give to her after to show how proud you are of her. :) It will mean a lot.

It's a little late, but I voted to stay. If this kind of thing comes up again, I still think you should go and stay for the entire event. Like it was said before, it's about your daughter, not the church service. Stay and congratulate her.

I would stay for the whole thing in order to properly acknowledge the child's performance. As parents, we show our love through personal sacrifice from time to time.

Just yesterday, I endured an hour at the church of Chuck E. Cheese to make my little daughter happy. I hope your experience is not as hellish. If the sermon sucks, just draw on the offering envelopes or write a letter or something.

My $.02

Only an hour, how did you get away with that? Remember when they thought they won if they got a "ticket" then they figured out that you need tons of tickets to get prizes?

Oh, and it's late for a vote, but I voted stay. Let us know what you decided and how it went.

Fugg'um buds.. Stay, kick back, watch and enjoy the little one sing and perform.

Don't let the occidental spooks and hoiliday ghosts and the room fulla of adherants spook ya.

kL

Hey guys thanks for your support on this issue. We ended up staying for the entire service. It was easy for me because I've sat through a thousand services like this growing up and most of my adult life. So whats one more going to hurt? It was my significant other that had the issue because she's not beein in church her entire life. So for her it is really difficult. The reactions she has would be similar to a christian entering a satanic church. They too would be appauled. It all turned out good. Most of the service was about the kids program followed by a 20 minute typical salvation type of message. After that I went and contradulated my daughter and she seemed happy to see me. Then went to Buffulo Wings and Rings and enjoyed a nice cold beer and watched the Cincinnati Bengals game. Who Dey!!!!!!!!

For what it's worth, I think you did the right thing by staying throughout the entire program. I think the choice you made was the most loving response and the most respectful of your daughter. It is crucial to her mental health that she knows her father generally approves of her activities and validates her choices.

Kudos to your partner and her bravery!