Goodbye Jesus

What I Learned At Church Today....

Ramen666

This is a follow up to the other question that was answered regarding the alleged precise distances required between sun and earth. I've also heard from even non theistic astronomers (Smoot's 'Ripples in Time' as an example) that the big bang had to occur exactly at the point in time (even though the concept of time didn't exist), perhaps what they call 'plank' time, to create our universe. One nano-second before or one after the occurance would have created something drastically different from what we see now including no life forms per se. Is this correct?

This is a follow up to the other question that was answered regarding the alleged precise distances required between sun and earth. I've also heard from even non theistic astronomers (Smoot's 'Ripples in Time' as an example) that the big bang had to occur exactly at the point in time (even though the concept of time didn't exist), perhaps what they call 'plank' time, to create our universe. One nano-second before or one after the occurance would have created something drastically different from what we see now including no life forms per se. Is this correct?

Probably not. However, if one follows the idea that we live in just one universe among an infinite number of universes within a multiverse, then this becomes irrelevant even if it is correct. In an infinite number of universes over infinite time, sooner or later at least one of those universes will develop in a way that will allow our physics, and life, to occur.

You can read more about that by reading bornagainatheist's posts (and some of the links that he provides), which go into a lot more detail about these things. The ideas are pretty deep and far-reaching, and would be too much to type here.

There are few things worse than when a pastor gets hold of some random scientific tidbit, because then he thinks he knows science better than geologists, paleontologists, archaeologists, physicists, and cosmologists. That, and even the limited bits of science they allow into their heads is usually wrong, and is just a misquote from some Christian apologist's book. And then, all of the clueless parishioners get all wide-eyed and think to themselves, "Our pastor is amazing! He's a great man of God, and he can science, too. Praise the Lord!"

Probably not. However, if one follows the idea that we live in just one universe among an infinite number of universes within a multiverse, then this becomes irrelevant even if it is correct. In an infinite number of universes over infinite time, sooner or later at least one of those universes will develop in a way that will allow our physics, and life, to occur.

You can read more about that by reading bornagainatheist's posts, which go into a lot more detail about these things.

I was kinda thinking that (law of probabilities among other theories) when I wrote the other comment. In other words, so many even infinite number of universes would eventually turn out one we're in now. And thanks but no thanks regarding BAA's postings. He claims to be just a mere laymen in these matters but geez, the way he writes the stuff in such technical terms - he probably doesn't even realize how difficult some of the concepts are to grasp. It's a sure sign of a genius but don't tell him that okay? He might think I like him or something. Okay, I DO like him but that's besides the point. LOL Thanks for the quick answer! I've told my wife repeatedly that one doesn't need to go to college for any education. They only have to come over here, post questions, and bingo - answers show up. Gawd, it's a miracle ain't it? LOL

I was kinda thinking that (law of probabilities among other theories) when I wrote the other comment. In other words, so many even infinite number of universes would eventually turn out one we're in now. And thanks but no thanks regarding BAA's postings. He claims to be just a mere laymen in these matters but geez, the way he writes the stuff in such technical terms - he probably doesn't even realize how difficult some of the concepts are to grasp. It's a sure sign of a genius but don't tell him that okay? He might think I like him or something. Okay, I DO like him but that's besides the point. LOL Thanks for the quick answer! I've told my wife repeatedly that one doesn't need to go to college for any education. They only have to come over here, post questions, and bingo - answers show up. Gawd, it's a miracle ain't it? LOL

BAA goes over my head a lot, too (he's awful nice in how he manages to do so, though smile.png ), but I'm a little more of a layman in such matters than he is. I can handle some of the more general concepts involved, but get a bit lost when it comes to the details.

Ditto. It was very funny the other day when he was demonstrating something related to the 'singular' aspect of the cosmos. He was describing in like a kid would have been describing his day at elementary school. Only problem was that even though he took great pains and effort to make it understandable, I fell asleep after the 2nd or 3rd word. ROFL Okay, I'm exaggerating but you get my drift right? I think I'm envious in a nice way how some people, like him, can grasp some very difficult things almost immediately after studying them. I, on the other hand, have to read the same thing over and over until I can easily convey what the author is saying. Example - Smith's classic 'Case against god' which I feel ought to be the textbook primer for any new atheist. In a part where he excoriates the first cause argument they love using on us - he offered 3 arguments against it. It took me about 4 or 5 readings and much pondering over what was posited, before it penetrated. Happily, once I absorbed it I can now cite those 3 arguments in very simple terms in very short sentences. I've actually used it twice already in heated battles with the cultists.

BAA goes over my head a lot, too (he's awful nice in how he manages to do so, though smile.png ), but I'm a little more of a layman in such matters than he is. I can handle some of the more general concepts involved, but get a bit lost when it comes to the details.

That Xers are insane, the whole lot. How could they NOT be if they are forced to believe anti-science (#1: People rise from the dead). Um............

Feeling frisky? Here's some articles to put that "margin of error" thing about Earth's orbit being "perfect" for life in perspective:

Not so perfect after all. It's a very close thing.

Dang, that's a huge range of estimates.

(Besides, I feel compelled to point out that of course, due to our piddling tiny sample size of exactly one habitable planet (Earth, duh) so far, our figures are heavily biased - around the parameters we already know there's life in. There could be some volatile comet-dwelling life, or space dust life around a quasar somewhere we can't even conceive of yet. To say that Earth is just sooo perfect for life is like firing a random shot at a barn, and then drawing a bullseye around the hole. It was a perfect shot! Of course.)

Today's sermon was so full of inconsistencies.  First, he mentioned about some former president on some Christian college he went to, and how this guy was so wonderful at beating arguments against atheist (Christians always think they win, so I wasn't surprised by that).  He then mentioned the guy had to resign and it was such a shame, since he was such a follower of Jeezbus.  I looked up his name on my phone during the sermon, and the guy was forced to resign after having an affair with another woman!  Oh yes, what a great example of Christian leadership.

One good thing now is I believe the pastor knows I think hes full of crap. He completely avoids talking to me unless he absolutely has to. :)

Probably going to have to go today (work isn't until after church which usually it is during, so meh I have to go), anyway I am prepared  to be pissed off a whole bunch. With all the bs that has happened this week in this country, they are going to use that and I hate when they use tragedies for their agenda (I fucking hate that).

Anyone that goes today, please report what the sermon was about.

I don't even want to think about all the morons who are saying or will say "It was God's will" or "God works in mysterious ways" in response to Boston.

Guest Pixie

Today, I'm not going to learn one thing at church because I'm not going to go. I have a small amount of guilt, but I am 'praying' that doesn't last too long. I think I'll bake cookies instead. Surley God will forgive me if I share them with my neighbours! LOL

Boston was not mentioned at all......BUT

I did walk out of church and stayed in the restroom for a good portion because the sermon pissed the hell out of me. Pleasure is essentially bad, doing something that you enjoy is just the devil tempting you of worldy things. So basically doing anything that you enjoy is bad in the end, I was like hell no I am not listening to this bs.

Boston was not mentioned at all......BUT

I did walk out of church and stayed in the restroom for a good portion because the sermon pissed the hell out of me. Pleasure is essentially bad, doing something that you enjoy is just the devil tempting you of worldy things. So basically doing anything that you enjoy is bad in the end, I was like hell no I am not listening to this bs.

So, what if someone actually enjoys going to church? FEEDBACK LOOP DETECTED

• Like 1

Today was probably one of the most bizzare sermons that I have ever heard at my church period because it is like a total backtrack of everything I have ever heard frp, them. The rules/laws in the Bible are basically guidelines not rules to live by, they are meant to be broken basically. The rules (that are given in the Bible and strict church) are NOT the point of it all but caring for one another is all that matters. Then the pastor even bashed fundies. I was like what the fuck is going on?Wendytwitch.gif

* By no means is the church "liberal".