Goodbye Jesus

Christian Bullshit 101

raoul

The beginning of a series of videos exploring their apologetics or, what I call, pure bullshit. The first one is about their always demanding we have to take the bible 'in context'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6MeFz3CpbY&list=UUUKpV1m_1VZc4JjbxhGwl0A&index=1

• Like 1

"You took the scripture out of context" = "That scripture contradicts the bullshit I am trying to feed you"

• Like 2

I should've let you make the video because what you wrote captures everything I was trying to convey. LOL  Thanks.

"You took the scripture out of context" = "That scripture contradicts the bullshit I am trying to feed you"

I should've let you make the video because what you wrote captures everything I was trying to convey. LOL  Thanks.

Nah, I suck at videos. You're much better.

redundant response deleted. need more coffee.

That is actually why I advocate for biblical literacy among atheists, agonistics, ex-christians. So that not only we know when to call Bullshit but have the critical tools necessary to point to this-and-that and defend the call. Here, proper context is the historical and literary worlds that produced each of the Bible's 70+ texts over a 1,000 year period. Usually when the apologetic cries "context" it is their own context that they are soft-peddling, not the contexts  of these ancient texts' authors.

Proper context is always the historical and literary worlds that produced the ideas and beliefs in these texts, period. There is a war that needs to be raised on this front. And the rhetoric I often use is that I'm defending the authors of these ancient texts by adamantly stating that "meaning" must be sought from their historical and literary contexts. This is much easier said than done. If we're talking about texts written over 1,000 year period and in both the literary matrix of the ancient Near East and the Greco-Roman world --- that's alot of context to know! So get reading !! We, all, need to do our part and educate ourselves on this context so we can call Bullshit, and defend these ancient texts from their misappropriation and abuse by the apologetics. By "defending" I am not advocating following or believing these ancient texts. But their proper understanding on their own terms and in their own contexts. This is impossible even for the apologetic; for we do not live in the context these texts were produced.

Ok. I've finished my rant.

That is actually why I advocate for biblical literacy among atheists, agonistics, ex-christians. So that not only we know when to call Bullshit but have the critical tools necessary to point to this-and-that and defend the call. Here, proper context is the historical and literary worlds that produced each of the Bible's 70+ texts over a 1,000 year period. Usually when the apologetic cries "context" it is their own context that they are soft-peddling, not the contexts  of these ancient texts' authors.

Proper context is always the historical and literary worlds that produced the ideas and beliefs in these texts, period. There is a war that needs to be raised on this front. And the rhetoric I often use is that I'm defending the authors of these ancient texts by adamantly stating that "meaning" must be sought from their historical and literary contexts. This is much easier said than done. If we're talking about texts written over 1,000 year period and in both the literary matrix of the ancient Near East and the Greco-Roman world --- that's alot of context to know! So get reading !! We, all, need to do our part and educate ourselves on this context so we can call Bullshit, and defend these ancient texts from their misappropriation and abuse by the apologetics. By "defending" I am not advocating following or believing these ancient texts. But their proper understanding on their own terms and in their own contexts. This is impossible even for the apologetic; for we do not live in the context these texts were produced.

Ok. I've finished my rant.

Rant away my friend because your insights are always welcome! I read your reply, pondered the different things stated, and then read it once more out loud to my better half. She said your comments reminded her of something I'd been taught while I was taking a 2 year course on the bible decades ago. Ironically, the courses were provided by a very conservative, fundamentalist Baptist school. I say 'ironically' because something they taught actually mirrors, in more simplistic terms, what you've conveyed.

The professor began by saying 'the bible was written to us BUT not ALL of the bible was written FOR us'. He went on to explain this by discussing the proper exegetical applications of various books vs the hermeneutical application if found. As you know, the first deals with why was something written, whom was it addressing, and for what purpose? The second deals with, and this is more important in my view, how can it be applied for a modern day xtian?

Sadly, the bible thumping crowd assumes the entire bible was specifically written for all of us today, believers and non-believers.

So, while those of us on our side of the fence totally agree with the necessity of doing what you've written, the other side couldn't care any less. But that doesn't diminish the fight for truth we're engaged in today - all of us.

Thanks again for your comments.

Yes it is. And the incredibly psychologically damaging abuse it causes is something that has to be addressed by all of us. Even now, over a year out of the cult, I still get the jitters whenever I hear any of them, particularly the clergy (whom I WILL address some day) go on and on as if they really know what they're talking about. They don't and I keep having to remind myself of this..

These one liners that christians pull on you to keep you in line, is sad and pathetic.

Guest r3alchild

Yes it is. And the incredibly psychologically damaging abuse it causes is something that has to be addressed by all of us. Even now, over a year out of the cult, I still get the jitters whenever I hear any of them, particularly the clergy (whom I WILL address some day) go on and on as if they really know what they're talking about. They don't and I keep having to remind myself of this..

These one liners that christians pull on you to keep you in line, is sad and pathetic.

Yes they are very damaging and I am still recovering from all of it.

As we all are brother, as we all are. And not to sound repetitive but, this is why I become so incensed whenever one of 'them' pretends to innocently ask something and then argue that something right out of their bible. It's the most deceitfully dishonest kind of behavior I've ever seen. I mean, they know our backgrounds. They should know many of us can out-quote bible verses back at them. But they still insist on tossing more excess baggage our way.

Guest r3alchild

As we all are brother, as we all are. And not to sound repetitive but, this is why I become so incensed whenever one of 'them' pretends to innocently ask something and then argue that something right out of their bible. It's the most deceitfully dishonest kind of behavior I've ever seen. I mean, they know our backgrounds. They should know many of us can out-quote bible verses back at them. But they still insist on tossing more excess baggage our way.
I have noticed that many of them love to theorise on the scriptures, but they only do that if you show them an unknown element (condradiction) in there scriptures, then they will make up all kinds of shit to get out of it. But if you ever try to theorise as a believer they will dismiss what you say and tell you not to go beyond what is written.

Funny you say that because that is EXACTLY what one of them tried to pull over at YouTube in the message threads. I was checking out a video regarding the god talk stuff and happened to scroll down to comments because I love staying in the background, quietly reading the debate chit chat going back and forth between them and us. Crazy thing though is I can only keep quiet for about a nano second before I jump into the fray (I know some of you aren't surprised about it. LOL).

Anyway, a cultist was trying to show that 'faith' is used alongside of 'reason' to defend the notion. This is what the comedian Bill Maher would call a 'false equivalency' but anyway, I jumped in and reminded the cultist about those famous faith verses in Hebrews. I emphasized the one that actually defined the proper xtian view of faith as being 'the substance of things hoped for and NOT seen'. I emphasized the not seeing as showing there's no use of reason in having a simple, childlike faith as the bible shows. What was the one guy's reaction? He immediately tried to draw me away from that verse by using some nonsense in the gospels where Jesus allegedly showed up in front of Thomas and exclaimed 'blessed are those who haven't seen me yet still believe'

I must be maturing with this stuff because in the old days I would've jumped all over him, etc. But now I merely innocently asked 'where is those verses you just cite in Hebrews?' I know he was referring to a John's gospel but wanted to see more tapdancing which he most graciously supplied. He never really addressed the original comment by me but no surprise there, right? So what you just wrote is more proof of how they theorise and tap dance and everything else that is so damn frustrating at times. I just keep reminding myself that I used to employ many of those tactics myself when I was in the cult. However, in my defense, I think I used to put up more formidible arguments. At least I hope I did - can't remember since it was so long ago.

I have noticed that many of them love to theorise on the scriptures, but they only do that if you show them an unknown element (condradiction) in there scriptures, then they will make up all kinds of shit to get out of it. But if you ever try to theorise as a believer they will dismiss what you say and tell you not to go beyond what is written.

Guest r3alchild

Funny you say that because that is EXACTLY what one of them tried to pull over at YouTube in the message threads. I was checking out a video regarding the god talk stuff and happened to scroll down to comments because I love staying in the background, quietly reading the debate chit chat going back and forth between them and us. Crazy thing though is I can only keep quiet for about a nano second before I jump into the fray (I know some of you aren't surprised about it. LOL).

Anyway, a cultist was trying to show that 'faith' is used alongside of 'reason' to defend the notion. This is what the comedian Bill Maher would call a 'false equivalency' but anyway, I jumped in and reminded the cultist about those famous faith verses in Hebrews. I emphasized the one that actually defined the proper xtian view of faith as being 'the substance of things hoped for and NOT seen'. I emphasized the not seeing as showing there's no use of reason in having a simple, childlike faith as the bible shows. What was the one guy's reaction? He immediately tried to draw me away from that verse by using some nonsense in the gospels where Jesus allegedly showed up in front of Thomas and exclaimed 'blessed are those who haven't seen me yet still believe'

I must be maturing with this stuff because in the old days I would've jumped all over him, etc. But now I merely innocently asked 'where is those verses you just cite in Hebrews?' I know he was referring to a John's gospel but wanted to see more tapdancing which he most graciously supplied. He never really addressed the original comment by me but no surprise there, right? So what you just wrote is more proof of how they theorise and tap dance and everything else that is so damn frustrating at times. I just keep reminding myself that I used to employ many of those tactics myself when I was in the cult. However, in my defense, I think I used to put up more formidible arguments. At least I hope I did - can't remember since it was so long ago.

You know whats sad about this whole thing, when we do get through it means so much more to us. But when we don't we can't get that time back like they believe they will.

And that is exactly why and even proof that the non theist quality of life really is much better. It has to be since we're aware of the brevity of life. If the afterlife was what they say it was, billions of us standing in a crowd singing to a maniacal egoist forever, I would beg to be sent to hell immediately. LOL

Guest r3alchild

And that is exactly why and even proof that the non theist quality of life really is much better. It has to be since we're aware of the brevity of life. If the afterlife was what they say it was, billions of us standing in a crowd singing to a maniacal egoist forever, I would beg to be sent to hell immediately. LOL

:)

The beginning of a series of videos exploring their apologetics or, what I call, pure bullshit. The first one is about their always demanding we have to take the bible 'in context'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6MeFz3CpbY&list=UUUKpV1m_1VZc4JjbxhGwl0A&index=1

Love your work. The words Christian and bullshit go so well together, much like horse and carriage.

How dare you compare a magnificent animal to a christian! LOL  Seriously - thanks much. And, it's more like a labor of love rather than work.

Love your work. The words Christian and bullshit go so well together, much like horse and carriage.

• Like 1

Touche. Perhaps the words Christian and feces are a better mix. Lol.

Sorry Beast but this is a children's network station so I have to censor your feces comment. ROFL  Thanks for the witty reply and touche back at ya!

Touche. Perhaps the words Christian and feces are a better mix. Lol.

"....I still get the jitters when I hear the clergy go on and on as if they really know what they are

talking about. They don't I and I have to keep reminding myself of this."

That is the gospel truth (pun intended). That air of perfect confidence is dishonesty at its worst.

Incredibly arrogant. Its deceitfulness knows no bounds. It is one of the reasons I hate to go to church.

I think that this pretense is the most effective form of fraud there is. Nor is it limited to religion.

bill

Jut a couple of days ago I ran across this quote from Thoreax: "RATHER THAN LOVE , THAN MONEY ,THAN

FAITH, THAN FAME, THAN FAIRNESS, GIVE ME TRUTH."

Now THERE'S a noble goal! bill