Goodbye Jesus

Psychiatrist Suggested Prayer....

wanderinstar

Wanderinstar, I think your decision to talk is a good solid one, given the help you have received. See Kurari's post. As for the laws in Australia, see Blue Elephant's advice in Post 5. I have in mind Blue Elephant, who is from Australia, is a lawyer.

Did you think I was talking to my psychiatrist next week? Was my post confusing? Sorry. My therapist is not my psychiatrist he is a Phd Social Worker. If he could prescribe me meds all would be well but alas he is not licensed to in Aus (he actually worked in the USA for five years and was able to there but Aus laws are stricter)  Anyway, he should be able to help me make the right decision. I am really tired and stressed at the moment, and in the middle of my first semester at University, so I am not up to a big fight over this. 

Sorry, no intention on my part to fight or disagree with you. I understand you're tired and stressed out. I thought I was merely supporting what you said you wanted to do. I guess there's some confusion and I'm willing to let it go. I do wish you the best.

No, no! The 'big fight' is to be with my psychiatrist, not you. You have not upset me in the slightest with your posts so don't panic. Perhaps it is my fault, being a bit careless with words by not editing before I post. I can see now how you could get a totally annoyed tone out of the above post of mine but it was not intended. My apologies. smile.png

I am aware posts have to be carefully worded to ensure the message is received correctly but I guess today I am pretty overwhelmed so I am a bit sloppy. 

smile.png

Wander, I must have missed your post. I hope you are getting well!!!

I think I did post somewhere about who in the 80's they were all about killing our faith when we had it and now, when it's gone, they are all like "You need it!"

I had a shrink work more on killing my religion than helping me. Very offensive. I did not want his help on that. 

And now, they say we will die sooner and need it back. What a bunch of kooks!. 

Thanks RachelSkates! Yeh, psychiatrists are a funny bunch. My previous psychiatrist was an atheist and at the time I was a christian. He never tried to encourage me to lose my religion but one time we were discussing it (my choice) he exclaimed 'But there is no evidence!' after I had told him I was 1000% convinced god was real and talked to him daily. I think he was worried I might of had schizophrenia. lol

Sadly he was close to retirement so handed me over to my current psych. So now I am practically an atheist I have the christian psych. So much has happened in the last week on top of this my stress levels are beyond maxed out and University is getting busy too. eek.gif  The psych issue has gone on the back burner. I have my meds so he can wait. Surviving, then passing my semester are my current priorities. 

Many of you already know I have PTSD & Major Depression and was in hospital for a week a few weeks back. Anyway, I went to my follow-up appointment today and had the usual discussions. I am going pretty well considering how unwell I was but my doctor still suggested another mood-stabilizer as I seem to have bipolar-like features with my mood, although do not meet the criteria for bipolar.

So I am happy to give the med a try and thought the appointment was going well when he said, 'there is another thing that may help' I nod, interested, 'Prayer' I try to hold in my reaction, 'I have personally seen it help many people but I cannot do this for you as I am only a psychiatrist. I would need to refer you to someone else'

Somehow I managed to politely REMIND him that I have been prayed with thoroughly, by many people, in many different ways, over hundred of hours in fifteen years. He knows I have been deeply wounded by people praying for me, telling me I have demons and sin in my heart. Gosh, I've ranted for many-a-post here about this so I won't go into detail again. I am just shocked he would step over that boundary with me. I know he meant well, and he is a damn good psychiatrist, but it pisses me off no end that he thinks I would be doing better if I had prayer. He is not talking the comfort type of prayer, he meant going into the wounds in my heart kind of prayer. He is my fucking psychiatrist and he knows that along with being seriously traumatized I also have some severe chemical imbalances so going into my issues forever and ever will not fix them. It felt like he was telling me my issues are spiritual - like if I return to god my mental illness will be cured, or at least lessened in severity. 

Am I over-reacting? Anyone else had issues with otherwise great christian doctors that secretly want them to 'return to christ'?

If and if this psychologist seeks answers in religion or spiritually then he is a realy shitty psychologist.

IMO every good psychologist is a atheist, satanist or similar. There is no room for religion withing psychology.

Apart from that you should be able to talk about religion with your psychologist without bumping into resistance (which is something you will definitely get with christians). Because your x-religions might be part of the mental issues.

Secondly you should be able to talk openly with your psychologist without having to watch your words.

Mi advice is to do more fun stuff. And try to be aware of your stress when you are having it. I know stress realy messes with the body and can cause a ton of physical and mental issues. Make some more time for your hobby's, grab youself a beer and chill out in the sun ones a week, do more fun stuff. Doing fun stuff will help your body and mind relax.

p.s. wish you all the best.

Many of you already know I have PTSD & Major Depression and was in hospital for a week a few weeks back. Anyway, I went to my follow-up appointment today and had the usual discussions. I am going pretty well considering how unwell I was but my doctor still suggested another mood-stabilizer as I seem to have bipolar-like features with my mood, although do not meet the criteria for bipolar.

So I am happy to give the med a try and thought the appointment was going well when he said, 'there is another thing that may help' I nod, interested, 'Prayer' I try to hold in my reaction, 'I have personally seen it help many people but I cannot do this for you as I am only a psychiatrist. I would need to refer you to someone else'

Somehow I managed to politely REMIND him that I have been prayed with thoroughly, by many people, in many different ways, over hundred of hours in fifteen years. He knows I have been deeply wounded by people praying for me, telling me I have demons and sin in my heart. Gosh, I've ranted for many-a-post here about this so I won't go into detail again. I am just shocked he would step over that boundary with me. I know he meant well, and he is a damn good psychiatrist, but it pisses me off no end that he thinks I would be doing better if I had prayer. He is not talking the comfort type of prayer, he meant going into the wounds in my heart kind of prayer. He is my fucking psychiatrist and he knows that along with being seriously traumatized I also have some severe chemical imbalances so going into my issues forever and ever will not fix them. It felt like he was telling me my issues are spiritual - like if I return to god my mental illness will be cured, or at least lessened in severity. 

Am I over-reacting? Anyone else had issues with otherwise great christian doctors that secretly want them to 'return to christ'?

If and if this psychologist seeks answers in religion or spiritually then he is a realy shitty psychologist.

IMO every good psychologist is a atheist, satanist or similar. There is no room for religion withing psychology.

Apart from that you should be able to talk about religion with your psychologist without bumping into resistance (which is something you will definitely get with christians). Because your x-religions might be part of the mental issues.

Secondly you should be able to talk openly with your psychologist without having to watch your words.

Mi advice is to do more fun stuff. And try to be aware of your stress when you are having it. I know stress realy messes with the body and can cause a ton of physical and mental issues. Make some more time for your hobby's, grab youself a beer and chill out in the sun ones a week, do more fun stuff. Doing fun stuff will help your body and mind relax.

Thanks Creative. I have been extra nice to myself lately to combat the stress. It does help having fun but it can be difficult even having fun times if I'm very anxious or down. i do enjoy being in nature. It is very centering. :)

Thanks Creative. I have been extra nice to myself lately to combat the stress. It does help having fun but it can be difficult even having fun times if I'm very anxious or down. i do enjoy being in nature. It is very centering. smile.png

One thing which I have been told to do that is quite helpful, I don't know if you've ever come across it so sorry if I'm just repeating the same stuff, is to write an ACE log. This basically means you write down stuff you enjoyed, and then give it marks out of ten for Achievement, Closeness (to others) and Enjoyment. Another idea is just to count 'mini-wins' at the end of the day, I.e., anything that happened in the day that you enjoyed, even though it seems really insignificant. It helps lift your mood when you think about all the good things that have happened!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update everyone; I saw my psychiatrist again today and asked him never to suggest prayer again and explained how it had previously upset me. He was receptive and apologized which was encouraging. I made it clear I was NOT a christian and added it was not because I was hurt but because science basically disproves it (christianity that is - not 'god' in all its forms). He gave me a quizzical look as if he was going to respond but instead chose to let it go. Damn! I would have enjoyed debating him as I know he is confident science and christianity go hand-in-hand. I have decided that since he is doing a great job as a doctor I think I will keep him, at least for now. All doctors come with negatives, I guess, so as long as it doesn't hinder my treatment I can deal with it.

Most of you have suggested I ditch him, and provided good reasons for me to do so. When I wrote this post I didn't think it was a big deal, I just wanted to rant as it had annoyed me. Now I am taking it more seriously. It is quite upsetting because I actually get on with him well and have benefited from the treatment he has provided. He also knows about the religious abuse so I am shocked he would bring this up. Religion certainly makes intelligent people stupid. My head is spinning. I have already had a shit of a week so this is the last thing I need. Thankfully my therapist is not only aware of the religious abuse, he has a great deal of experience working with people damaged by it. I think I will talk to him about it next week. He also understands the health system and what would be involved to change. Now I have to go and try and get some study done...

It would seem that he is reaching out on a personal level not a professional level. I know that psychologists, when they work with someone long enough, will start to feel comfortable. Also, his cultural background is probably influencing this behavior a bit. To be completely professional is a difficult balance in the psychology field and I would try a gentle reminder at first. You obviously value the guy, and though he overstepped a boundary by bringing up prayer (given your history), I don't think he did it out of malicious intent whatsoever. I think he genuinely is trying to come up with additional coping methods and he made a slip.  Maybe, as an alternate to prayer, you two could examine chanting and breathing exercise? Prayer has a lot of the same effect, but this way it would leave the deity factor out of it.  But as one poster said earlier, I would definitely remind him there is no interest in this side of treatment, that while you are sure his intentions are good it is still offensive to you to even have the suggestion made. I am assuming this is the first time he has overstepped his bounds, correct?

EDIT: Just saw your last post. Glad it went well. Make sure you avoid the urge to debate as well. You do not distraction in your care. ;)

Thanks Creative. I have been extra nice to myself lately to combat the stress. It does help having fun but it can be difficult even having fun times if I'm very anxious or down. i do enjoy being in nature. It is very centering. smile.png

You can never be nice enough to yourself. I mean who is the most important person in the universe? You are, well to yourself :) not to me do because im the most important person in the universe to myself.

You only live ones (unless your want to like get reincarnated as a cat and risk getting castrated) and your only job in life is to have fun and enjoy yourself. Sure we do stuff we dont like.. like going to work in the morning when we prefer to sleep longer. But we do that because we need to money to survive or to spend it on fun activity's.

In some cases one is stuck in a hole, like having a job you hate or other situation and it might look like staying in that situation causes less discomfort then getting out of that situation. This actually apply to all humans. Humans without exception always take the path that to them seems most comfortable, causes the least discomfort/pain.

I dont know you well enough to realy say more do.

But i mean like if you have shit going on in your life. Try to realy think about a solution.

For example, if you have like realy shitty neighbors and you barley get any sleep because of them. You will be like well its to much trouble to get a other apartment. Im sure its easier and causes less stress to just put up with the shitty neighbors. And i never know where i will end up.

Well sure.. but what if you do find a nice apartment that is great, maybe even cheaper, and you have nice neighbors there. wouldn't this change your life and make your life much more comfortable? Would it not be worth it?

What im trying to say is, instead of just thinking until the point "its easier and causes less stress to just put up with the shitty neighbors" dont stop there. Because when you think about it some more you can get more motivation from yourself to turn your life around a little and make it better.

P.s. i dont know if you have much sun there...but sunning 1s a weeks is great for depressions... optionally going to a solarium. (not more then 2x a week do, has to do with chemicals your boddy produces.. and you can even get addicted to it)