Goodbye Jesus

Imagine

Guest end3

Imagine if this were your last day on earth.  Not sure it matters tha the diesel trucks get loaded or the GNP keeps moving.  All I can see is the value of a sunshine lit bright flower and the love we have for others.  All the rest seems rather meaningless atm. 

End,

You sound disenchanted.

Welcome to life as it is.

You do not have to listen to a word I about to say.

If you pay no attention to what I say, at least pay attention to that sense of  'meaninglessness" I sense in your words and what it says about your sense of self worth and efficacy.

IMO life is an amalgam of thought, emotion and behavior; an existential mode of being in one's own skin and in a material world.

I'm not Buddhist yet that does not prevent me from "hearing in my gut" what Siddhartha Gautama was saying when I read the following:

"He who experiences the unity of life sees his own self in all beings and all beings in his own self and looks on everything with an impartial eye."

— Siddhartha Gautama

Whether live is an illusion or not I still suffer my on acts of sabotage.  That fact I cannot deny.

At some point I have to allow myself the permission to drop the drama regardless of how others feel or think about how it is that I find what already exists within my person hood.

Who I am is not up for grabs any longer. I've had enough of the sweet talk from both sides of the aisle, believer or unbeliever not withstanding.

The time for my living is at hand. My path is the path I must peruse,  My obligation is to verify and supplement any information I have concerning my living and action for it's authenticity and relevance.

I have no excuse any longer not to trust my own judgment or discernment or my dissatisfaction or misery.

I must de-side (decide) for myself.

Walk the path.
No one saves us but ourselves.
No one can and no one may.
We ourselves must walk the path.

— Siddhartha Gautama

I'll lay a little of Lao Tzu on you this morning. Again you do not have to listen to a word of it.

When you find the way others will find you.
Passing by on the road they will be drawn to your door.
The way that cannot be heard will be echoed in your voice.
The way that cannot be seen will be reflected in your eyes.

— Lao Tzu

Peace, my friend.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

You're right. They are meaningless until and unless you choose to give them meaning. Real life and real people, real love, that's the thing.

You're right. They are meaningless until and unless you choose to give them meaning. Real life and real people, real love, that's the thing.

You see what I mean perfectly, florduh.

Authenticity is hard to ignore!

florduh,

I'm convinced (from experience) that we are the only living species able to reject, sabotage and betray our only means of survival--our minds, our  compassion (heart) and the health and the maturity of those that show up for us.

• Like 1

Imagine if this were your last day on earth.  Not sure it matters tha the diesel trucks get loaded or the GNP keeps moving.  All I can see is the value of a sunshine lit bright flower and the love we have for others.  All the rest seems rather meaningless atm. 

I think I'd have a cup of coffee.

• Like 1

If it is my last day on Earth then I guess my time would be up.  We all have to go sometime, the question is of when and what we have done with our lives. I prefer to live to a ripe old age and then die peacefully in my sleep.  

I'm under no delusion that I'll be remembered throughout the ages, but at least the memory of me will live on in the minds of those I interact with and whatever records people have on me.  My thoughts are recorded on the forums that I post on that may or may not be tracked down to my real life identity. We all leave footprints throughout our lives, how significant they are varies with what one has accomplished. Most people may not have an impact in the larger scheme of things but we do have an effect in the smaller picture. I've already done a post on that, I'll leave it up to whoever cares to track that post down. The point is that we all matter in our own little way, it is the details that help construct the larger picture. Whether we harm or help is up to the individual. 

If my time has come my time has come, I prefer to continue living but I don't desire eternal life. I have too much anxiety to allow myself to fret on something so completely beyond my control.

• Like 1

Life has meaning all by itself!  You don't need religion to have purpose!  There's a broken person out there, a broken family a broken world.  Go fix it!  Be the inspiration for the next generations that are coming, because they're coming.  Do something for them.  Invest in a stranger who doesn't even yet exist.

This is the fault of religion/Christianity.  We focus so much on the next life we miss out on this one.  You don't need to lay up treasures in heaven.  Lay up treasures here on earth for others to enjoy when you're gone. 

There's plenty of reason and plenty of purpose just change your perspective.  :)

• Like 1

Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again Naturally with Lyrics - YouTube

Stop reading my posts and telling my parents. This site is supposed to be confidential and I'm using an alias for a reason!

• Like 2

I think you've pretty much touched on the nature of reality from my perspective, end3. Life has no inherent meaning or purpose. That might sound a bit cold, but the truth usually seems to be that way IMO.

It's up to each of us to find a subjective meaning to give us a sense of purpose. Without that, I don't think any of us will find life worth living.

From a religious point of view, biblegod seems able to find meaning in his life without believing in a higher power, and I have too. Personally, I find the idea that my whole purpose in life is to worship a god to be rather unfillfilling, almost depressing. Thank god I'm an atheist.

Hi end! I am finding out that one 'writes' their own story with the exception of things we cannot control like the death of a loved one. (or like when someone leaves when you don't want them to, but they do it anyway) We can control certain things and others we can't. But the things we can control, we can make our 'storyline' go anyway we want it to. We can choose to smell the flowers or not. Turn the negative to positive.....or not. To love again.....or not. It's your story - go ahead and make up a good one my friend!!

Hi end! I am finding out that one 'writes' their own story with the exception of things we cannot control like the death of a loved one. (or like when someone leaves when you don't want them to, but they do it anyway) We can control certain things and others we can't. But the things we can control, we can make our 'storyline' go anyway we want it to. We can choose to smell the flowers or not. Turn the negative to positive.....or not. To love again.....or not. It's your story - go ahead and make up a good one my friend!!

Writing my story in both directions at the same time M.  My father wrote me a letter as I had told him I'd rather he die.  So after he sent it, I sent it back unopened.  In the another sense, I am struggling to see myself as loving.....even though I have been coaching my son's t-ball team and loving those children.  Today, I am choosing the lesser.  Hope all is well with you. :)

One cannot control the events of life, but can control, to a certain extent, how one reacts.  I think the key is flexibility and cutting down expectations.  Not sure how to accomplish this yet, but working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

End,

You sound disenchanted.

Welcome to life as it is.

You do not have to listen to a word I about to say.

If you pay no attention to what I say, at least pay attention to that sense of  'meaninglessness" I sense in your words and what it says about your sense of self worth and efficacy.

IMO life is an amalgam of thought, emotion and behavior; an existential mode of being in one's own skin and in a material world.

I'm not Buddhist yet that does not prevent me from "hearing in my gut" what Siddhartha Gautama was saying when I read the following:

"He who experiences the unity of life sees his own self in all beings and all beings in his own self and looks on everything with an impartial eye."

— Siddhartha Gautama

Whether live is an illusion or not I still suffer my on acts of sabotage.  That fact I cannot deny.

At some point I have to allow myself the permission to drop the drama regardless of how others feel or think about how it is that I find what already exists within my person hood.

Who I am is not up for grabs any longer. I've had enough of the sweet talk from both sides of the aisle, believer or unbeliever not withstanding.

The time for my living is at hand. My path is the path I must peruse,  My obligation is to verify and supplement any information I have concerning my living and action for it's authenticity and relevance.

I have no excuse any longer not to trust my own judgment or discernment or my dissatisfaction or misery.

I must de-side (decide) for myself.

Walk the path.

No one saves us but ourselves.

No one can and no one may.

We ourselves must walk the path.

— Siddhartha Gautama

I'll lay a little of Lao Tzu on you this morning. Again you do not have to listen to a word of it.

When you find the way others will find you.

Passing by on the road they will be drawn to your door.

The way that cannot be heard will be echoed in your voice.

The way that cannot be seen will be reflected in your eyes.

— Lao Tzu

Peace, my friend.

I read a little book called the Black Swan about abandonment and recovery. Seems to match what you just said and what Keith has said and also Florduh. I asked Keith if he had the time to start a thread to discuss.....or if you would like to please join in. If feels like such a good revelation within simultaneous "death"....divorce in my case. Thank you for the note sir.

Ed

And you too Florduh...

• 2 weeks later...

Would probably skip work, and spend the rest of the day having sex and smoking opium (would try heroin, but i hate needles).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like Douglas Adams to me. If you look at it from a certain distance everything is relative, which is almost the same as seeing that's all kind of funny actually, nothing to worry about. You give meaning to your own life, and to the towels around you. If you feel uncomfortable on this earth with your fellow bags-of-cells, I cannot help that. Close your eyes and think that you are specially crafted by a supernatural manufacturer, if you want. That does not make me feel very special, I have to say. Thinking that this is your last day, can be pretty enlightening indeed. And probably I will do something quite selfish on my last day. :-)