Goodbye Jesus

Two people I know just died

Poonis

If you follow; my dad's fiance's daughter's husband's mom Sandy died saturday morning at 3am from rare cancer. She was 56. Next, this morning (monday) at 6am, we just got the call that my dad's fiance's mother June died from effects of dementia at age 86.

I'm not certain how I should feel; I guess it all depends on how close I feel with those who died. After Sandy died, my dad brought up a 'god quote' (as I call it), and stated, "Now she (Sandy) knows for sure there is a god, wouldn't you agree?" Keep in mind my dad does not know I'm an atheist.

I hesitated; I knew this is not the time to get into a theological debate. So I answered, "I would agree that she is in a position to know whether or not there is a god". Although my answer is not what I really think, I do think that it shed light on one layer less of the foundation he argued from. He paused for a second, and then we went on with what we were doing before.

Even when people I know die, it doesn't make me want to return to Christianity. It is easier for me to understand death in the absence of myths, legends, hopes, and prayers. Whether or not there is an afterlife, it matters not that I believe in it, for if one exists, my belief or lack thereof does not effect its existence, otherwise my belief holds power over the afterlife.

*Sends hugs*

I am very sorry to hear that. You have my sympathy.

""Now she (Sandy) knows for sure there is a god, wouldn't you agree?"

Why would he say something like that?....

""Now she (Sandy) knows for sure there is a god, wouldn't you agree?"

Why would he say something like that?....

This is how people act when they feel hopeless and desire what they believe to be true. When someone dies, christians play the god-game of "at least he/she has gone to heaven."

Poonis,

Sorry for your family's loss, we're here for ya.

My best friend was a closet atheist, and his mom was a HUGE fundy. He unexpectedly passed away, and when I arrived at the funeral home, him mom was there with a whole troop of fundies. Instead of trying to console his mom, they were debating as to whether he went to heaven or not. Unbeknownst to me, my friend had told his mom that he was going to church with me, which was a blatant lie to get his mom off his back. Before I knew it, I was standing next to my friend's body and they were grilling me about who our pastor was, what was the name of the church, what was our core beliefs, how active was he in the church, did I think he went to heaven, was he saved, was I saved, ... and on, and on, and on ...

That was the beginning of a VERY long day! I hate to say it, but I lied my ass off. :Doh:

Welp, just had funeral #1 today.

I didn't pray. I thought the chaplain's spiel about jesus calling his flock was a load of crap; it had everyone else fooled tho. I don't mean to sound cold or cruel or viscious, but I am, so that's the way it comes out. I went, not for the deceased, but for those who needed a pat on the back and an "I'm sorry". Lots of sniffles and crying.

I don't know; I think people cry for their loss more so than for the person who died. I've already accepted that *everyone* will die, and I'm sure some of them will die unexpectedly. Maybe that is why I was void of the need to cry.

Either I am an asshole, or I am being honest; or both.