Goodbye Jesus

Prying Christians

Guest r3alchild

Guest r3alchild

Since I have left christianity I have noticed that christians are the most prying people. I know as humans we all do it, but christians seem to pry on autopilot. So how do we deal with over prying people, who want to know all our faults and problems and why do people pry in the first place.

• Super Moderator

HA.. my eyes read that as Preying Christians.... yeah--that too!  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

• Like 1

I try not to generalize, but they probably pry because they are deeming how worthy you are as a person, or as a christian, or as a person to gossip about.  If they genuinely want to know more about you so that they can understand you better and feel close to you, then hey that's great.  If that were always the case.

• Like 1

Since I have left christianity I have noticed that christians are the most prying people. I know as humans we all do it, but christians seem to pry on autopilot. So how do we deal with over prying people, who want to know all our faults and problems and why do people pry in the first place.

Because Jesus can solve all our problems it is a lead in to see if you are saved or not. If not they must pull out the sales pitch.

I think one way to deal with these types is to give them the politician deflection. They ask you a question, you answer another question. Try to make your answer into the length of a short essay and digress a lot. Like a religious apologist, the idea is to bring up several different topics to try to make your questioner forget what they originally asked you and pray to god that you shut the fuck up pretty soon. :-) 

You can gear your answer towards another emotionally charged topic. Example: (USA version)

Q: So, Midnight, do you know Jesus?

A:  Praise God, yes, I'm a believer! But you know the way Obama is destroying our country I fear for the future of our Christian brothers and sisters. That and look at how Obama wants you and me to pay for abortions with taxpayer dollars. Make sure you slip in gay marriage and gun control and now they are lost in passionate anger. The heat is off of you and on the President. :-) Talk about Fox News some and you're done.

• Super Moderator

They're looking for a concrete reason to demonstrate how you need Jesus.

I try not to generalize, but they probably pry because they are deeming how worthy you are as a person, or as a christian, or as a person to gossip about.  If they genuinely want to know more about you so that they can understand you better and feel close to you, then hey that's great.  If that were always the case.

You hit the nail on the head. Based on my experience, genuinely wanting to know more about someone else so they can understand and feel close was never the case. It was so they could have more gossip to spread around, flaunt their superiority or so they could get off on others' pain and suffering.

There's a huge difference between wanting to know more about someone else and prying into their lives.

I don't know how comfortable you are in your level of dickishness, but these phrases have served me well.

These are the tools I pull out of my box most often to deal with prying, 

"How is that any of your business?"

"Are you serious?"

"Why would I tell you that?"

"Are you some kind of amateur psychoanalyst?"

And my all-time favorite, said with a smile and a hearty laugh, 

"Hahahaha! Go fuck yourself! Hahahaha!"

Guest r3alchild

I don't know how comfortable you are in your level of dickishness, but these phrases have served me well.

"Are you serious?"

All good come backs, but what do you say when these prying people are your old christian friends.

"Are you serious?"

All good come backs, but what do you say when these prying people are your old christian friends.

Maybe something like "that isn't on the table for discussion" when they start their shit. They disrespected you the second they made the choice to pry into your life, they need to know that it's unacceptable with you and with anyone else.

"I'm finally at peace. How are you?"

• Like 1

My mother is a well known prying Christian. You know how I got rid of that? I stopped giving a shit. 

I use media training strategies at hand. Have 3 key messages for those who pry.

1. I'm finally at peace.

2. I'm not mad at God.

3. Tell me about your life/walk with the lard.

Cycle through as needed, even if non sequitur. Broken record approach works great!

"Are you serious?"

Old christian friends? No such animal in my life. I alienated all of them during my deconversion. 

Prying Christian (aka New Boss at the new job I started today) asked me over lunch, "How do you lean politically?"

My answer?  "Oh, I'm all over the place... I think they are all incompetent."

She continues to pry.   What I initially thought was a professionalism test turned into an obvious case of above mentioned Christian prying.   Fuck that.  Keep religion, politics, and sex out of work please... it makes it easier for all of us.  Sometimes a little mystery is a good thing.

"Are you serious?"

Stupid, cliched courtesies seem to work really well in most cases.

One of the best, most universal ones is "excuse me."  Taking authority.  

Start asking them questions about themselves that they're uncomfortable with, humorously if possible.  Brits seem to be pretty good at doing that.  It works.

Old christian friends? No such animal in my life. I alienated all of them during my deconversion. 

Same here, Jose. The xtian friends i thought i had were gone before i walked out of the last church i went to, never to return. They were some of the worst "friends" i ever had in my life. Good fucking riddance.

I like ambiguity, coupled with a line drawn in the sand that says to a prying personality, "Don't cross this line."  I like to try and be mysterious, if I can get away with it.  I like leaving certain people who intrude without clarity.  I've not been tested extensively with my ready-to-go response, but I've had one occasion to use it with a friend.  I told him, "It's between me and God, no humans allowed anymore."  I've not been put in a position where this has been challenged, so I don't know how well it will work beyond a certain point.

Maybe it's because Xtians want to find the fault or evil in you that causes you to not believe in Jesus.

Therefore you deserve to go to hell. bill

Because they want to save you. Its like when your sick and your friend asks you a million questions about it to try and figure out how he can help you.

You can always say in a deep voice: I am possessed by the devil and then scream loudly and watch them run way in fear zDuivel2.gif