Goodbye Jesus

I Told My Friend That I Believe In Evolution!

danlinde76

Since it is very new to me and unknown to everyone around me that I now consider myself an atheist, I don’t think it is time for me to come out with that yet. My wife even thinks that I should not talk about me believing in evolution theory and doubting the Bible.

Well, I told a good friend that I believe in evolution theory and that that makes me doubt the inerrancy of the Bible. Before I told him I first asked if he is interested in science, which he was. He then began to explain me about scientists like “Doctor Dino” and that he believed in a young earth and literal interpretation of the Bible, and he knew a book which has proven the bible to be true.

It is just so frustrating that he is so far from real science that it is almost pointless to try to discuss with him. I think that the problem is that he doesn’t really want to find out about real science, but only the “science” which matches his believe in the bible.

Anyway, I am glad I told him.

Dan

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Every day I hear more and more that makes me doubt the efficacy of letting everyone breed indiscriminately.

• Like 2

Danlinde76. I am in the same boat as you. I have not yet come out to my church friends or to my wife. I tried to tell my wife the other day and when I questioned the creation order (it's different from gen 1 to gen 2) the conversation ended.

Science does fuck bible fundamentalism up.

Exactly and clear! - we are - so far - just very few of us who are willing to find out and admit it!

Danlinde76. I am in the same boat as you. I have not yet come out to my church friends or to my wife. I tried to tell my wife the other day and when I questioned the creation order (it's different from gen 1 to gen 2) the conversation ended.

I asked my wife to watch a documentary about evolution, but her reply was that she will rather live in deception than find out!  What to do?

I wish I had an answer for you. I'm just trying to learn ad much as possible right now.

Young earth.  How the hell can anyone say that. Potassium Argon dating says billions of yrs and NO, God did not put the argon into the rocks to test our faith.

Since it is very new to me and unknown to everyone around me that I now consider myself an atheist, I don’t think it is time for me to come out with that yet. My wife even thinks that I should not talk about me believing in evolution theory and doubting the Bible.

Well, I told a good friend that I believe in evolution theory and that that makes me doubt the inerrancy of the Bible. Before I told him I first asked if he is interested in science, which he was. He then began to explain me about scientists like “Doctor Dino” and that he believed in a young earth and literal interpretation of the Bible, and he knew a book which has proven the bible to be true.

It is just so frustrating that he is so far from real science that it is almost pointless to try to discuss with him. I think that the problem is that he doesn’t really want to find out about real science, but only the “science” which matches his believe in the bible.

Anyway, I am glad I told him.

Dan

Just a suggestion:  Instead of saying you "believe" in the biological theory of evolution, you might consider saying something like "the biological theory of evolution is the best explanation of all available evidence."

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums, Dan.

That phrase "I'd rather live in deception" is very telling. Lots of otherwise intelligent xians would rather live in deception than think for themselves. If you can at least get her to ask some questions, it would be a start. Plant a seed, let it grow. :)

• Like 1

I asked my wife to watch a documentary about evolution, but her reply was that she will rather live in deception than find out!  What to do?

That speaks volumes about the personality of the person you married when you had bible blinders on. What a difference it might have made being an atheist when you first met her. I hope she doesn't take this approach about medical practice and teaching kids about how credit works!

• Like 1

Young earth.  How the hell can anyone say that. Potassium Argon dating says billions of yrs and NO, God did not put the argon into the rocks to test our faith.

au contraire

6And so I must tell thee here, in the spirit of candor, that the evidence for evolution is now indeed so overwhelming, so incontrovertible, so beyond the level of mere “theory,” that it can no longer possibly be denied,

7How impressive it is, that I planted it all.

8Because I did.

9I planted it all.

10Every…last…bit of it.

11Zing!

12Canst thou grasp the scope of my hoax, humanity?

13Can thy mortal minds absorb even a drop of the immense ocean constituting the thoroughness of thy punking?

16I molded the fossils; I deposited the dinosaurs; I modified DNA; I mutated the vestigial tails; I arranged the migratory distributions; I specialized the finch beaks; I booked Darwin’s Cruise.

17And I did more than this: I meticulously layered geological strata, I altered the level of carbon-14 in every rock on earth; I redshifted every particle of light in the universe so that it would appear to thy observers that the cosmos was created through some kind of large-scale explosion 13.7 billion years ago.

18Yea; over the eons I have invested more time and energy into falsifying an empirically unassailable case for evolution than any other venture since Creation itself.

-Againesis 3:6-13 & 16-18 The Last Testament: a Memoir by GOD

• Like 3

Saying that one "believes" in evolution is like saying that one "believes" in gravity, "believes" in photons, "believes" in electricity, "believes" in magnets, or "believes" in relativity. It is entirely the wrong language to use to describe it. Just like all of those other things, evolution just is.

• Like 3

I can see a copy of "that book"coming your way VERY soon.  You might to consider getting out a pencil and annotating the margins when it lands in your lap!

Evolution is a fact and the proof is abundant. I would never say "I believe in evolution". Instead "the fossil record, genetics, biology and science in general support evolution as a basic fact."

Having said that, I don't have an answer for persuading someone who doesn't want to crack a book and look at the evidence.

Welcome, Dan!

Subjecting yourself to a challenge of your lifelong beliefs is scary.  The church has carefully crafted a doctrine of fear to make its adherents afraid to even question its basic tenets.  Living in deception is easy and safe, from her perspective.  Ask questions.  Plant seeds.  Try to let her develop doubts in her own way, in her own time.  

But be careful.  If she suspects that you are trying to chip away at her ivory tower, be prepared for all hell to break loose.

Ravenstar: I'm sure your comment was "tongue in check". I would be in favor of it if I could make the

decisions. I think it was Oliver Wendell Holmes who said, "Three generations of idiots are enough".

bill

Not long after I told my wife of my deconversion, I explained to her that if I found evidence in conflict with my faith, I would accept the result of that evidence as leading closer to truth even if it lead me away from my faith.   She replied that she would still side on faith even if it conflicted with evidence.

This approach seems to be a fundamental difference between those of us who break free and those who remain religious.   Is our search for truth?   Or is it  "presupposed" to always be a journey to deeper "faith" no matter what evidence is found to the contrary.   

Saying that one "believes" in evolution is like saying that one "believes" in gravity, "believes" in photons, "believes" in electricity, "believes" in magnets, or "believes" in relativity. It is entirely the wrong language to use to describe it. Just like all of those other things, evolution just is.

Exactly. I also hate it when people say to me, "So you believe in science." I don't "believe" in science any more than I "believe" in cooking. You either cook or you don't. You either use the scientific method or you don't. Science holds no beliefs. It's entire purpose is to investigate beliefs, thoughts, and ideas. 

Ouch. I'm not sure I could look a person who said this to me in the eye again. She just basically said she'd rather be a liar and live in her lies. How do you hold respect for someone like that? I don't know if there is anything you can do. You can lead a human to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ThereIsNoGod

Jesus H Christ........harden up people!.......face the bloody challenge before you! That's what I say to people who are afraid to hear challenges against their fundie beliefs. Jesus, do yourselves a favor people and stop sticking your fingers in your ears and singing "La La La La!" whenever a hint of a challenge comes up. 

Thank you all for your replies and comments. 

An update on my situation with my wife: It has been quite lonely for me the last few weeks after my wife said she would rather live in the delution than find out.

And until yesterday I havnt spoken to her about the subject. She is now willing to see the documentary and she is also talking about her own doubts.

I am much less lonely now :-)