Goodbye Jesus

Who Turns You Off Of Religion More, Ordinary Clay Or Thumbelina?

crazyguy123

Ravenstar mentioned this would be an amusing poll and now I am curious to know who would vote for whom. The purpose of this thread isn't to personally attack either OC or Thumbelina, but to satisfy my curiosity.

• Super Moderator

To be fair, they are individuals and neither one can be taken as a reasonable representation of religion. In fact, each probably considers the other to be a bit of a heretic.

Off the record, I do have a soft spot (and a hard one, too) for a good little mud wrestler.

To be fair, they are individuals and neither one can be taken as a reasonable representation of religion. In fact, each probably considers the other to be a bit of a heretic.

Off the record, I do have a soft spot (and a hard one, too) for a good little mud wrestler.

I know they can't be taken as a representation of the whole religion, but there are people who will rely on their impressions of others who defend a certain belief and may make a judgment about the religion based on their behavior. I just hope it was okay to post this.

Neither is open to any kind of reasonable debate, so they both annoy me equally.

Are they the only two christians on ex-c

No, there are others on ex-C, but they don't seem to get anywhere near as many negative reactions as OC and Thumbelina do.

I think we should take away both their posting privileges until they agree to a cage match with one another. We'll keep the one that wins the 'which version of xianity is true' fight.

Should be amusing.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

None of the Christians I've seen around here are open to much debate or discussion. Sometimes end3 makes interesting contributions, and not even always on his religion. Generally, Christians only want to give us the message that we have read the Bible incorrectly, attended the wrong church(es), or never really gave ourselves completely to the Lord. Sometimes they argue doctrines better discussed at Christian forums. Some of them are OrdinarilyObnoxious while others aren't so obviously Thumbinga a nose at us - but I won't mention any names. That wouldn't be proper.

• Super Moderator

Oh, and please keep it nice. Love the Christian, hate the bullshit and all that.

OC can be annoying at times, but he did say not that long along that he is an "Old Earth" Christian. At least he has a couple of brain cells still working. I can't imagine Thumbelina being anything but "Young Earth" given her views on how "God" created Man, etc.

Personally,  I actually kind like Thumb.   She is willing to engage and answer posts.  Even if those answers are with scripture.  She is at least willing to engage and tangle and explain where her logic is coming from, even as screwy as I think it is sometimes. 

OC is a troll.   He never actually engages.  Is not interested in instructing or defining where his views come from.  He always tells you to look it up yourself and then some how we will magically understand the world like him.  All he wants is to stir things up and then sit back and watch the fireworks.  I think his latest post proves that. 

Well, they both belong to a cult.

They both exhibit the same behavior of posting canned propaganda in between long periods of absence.

The goal is to beat ex-Christians into submission through repetition.

The same topics get covered over and over again through the years.

They'll claim anything and then simply epeat it over and over.

This was just recently seen in another thread.

OC:

Anti-Christians practice selection bias because that's all they got to prop up their anti-Christian feelings.
They select the version  of "God" that allows them to create the caricature that justifies their irrational vitriol.
They obsess on this to the point of being blinded to the vast majority of Scripture that demonstrates the true nature of the Lord of Hosts.

This response ignored the original point completely, in favor of posting apologetic gibberish.

The God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob is a trinitarian God.
The "God" caricatured by anti-Christians is a mob sourced construct based on personal and volatile emotions en-mass.

Here OC simply makes yet another claim based on his bias toward the Christian myth about God being a Trinity.

He can't even fathom the idea that his beliefs are based on a mob of Christian clerics who often reinforced their dogma on populations with the use of threats and violence.

OC;
The Christian God gives everlasting love freely.
That's a known Christian truth which is demonstrated by the Bible.

This response illustrates the depth of OC's delusion / dishonesty.

His "known Christian truth" is meaningless because he makes things up as he goes along.

The talking point about "God giving everlasting love freely" is directly contradicted by scripture where God issues threats for failure to comply to his demands.

The talking point will always trump reality, no matter what.

OC:

If a person rejects the offer of salvation from God, they will not experience this love because they willingly reject it.
The love is an unconditional love offered to any human being no matter their race, ethnicity or social status.

As usual, this response is dishonest.

By definition, unconditional means "without conditions".

The Christians God places many conditions on salvation and damnation occurs when a person fails to comply with the demands.

OC:
The issue of the Canaanites is not that Christians ignore Scripture. On the contrary, Christians are demonstrably the only ones who read all of scripture and take the entire volume of scripture into account. Anti-Christians trot out their one trick ponies by focusing on a select set of verses and ignoring the rest of the Bible.

The one trick pony is Christian apologetics, where it claims to read all of scripture and then ignores anything that conflcits with the talking point.

Both OC and Thumbelina do this over and over again.

The Christian talking point trumps scripture every time.

Religion of this type is a festival of excuse making, mealy mouthed rationalizations, and rancid dogma.

• Super Moderator

They're just flip sides of the same coin.

Personally,  I actually kind like Thumb.   She is willing to engage and answer posts.  Even if those answers are with scripture.  She is at least willing to engage and tangle and explain where her logic is coming from, even as screwy as I think it is sometimes. 

OC is a troll.   He never actually engages.  Is not interested in instructing or defining where his views come from.  He always tells you to look it up yourself and then some how we will magically understand the world like him.  All he wants is to stir things up and then sit back and watch the fireworks.  I think his latest post proves that. 

I have noticed that this seems to be the case. To add to what you have just said, it seems that Thumbelina actually tries to be friendly.

• Like 1

Neither of them inspire me nor turn me off to religion. 

That is a response I was not expecting. Perhaps it should be an option in the poll?

• Super Moderator

I agree.   On good days, they're cheap entertainment.  On bad days, they're just plain ol' annoying.    GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif     

• Like 1

I agree.   On good days, they're cheap entertainment.  On bad days, they're just plain ol' annoying.    GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif     

I added some new options for you.

Would one you volunteer to give each of them a crash course in logic? bill

Do you think it would work if someone tried?

• Super Moderator

I would rather try to teach a fish to juggle.

florduh: Well, you'd have a better chance of success with the fish.

Ordinary Clay or Thumbelina.

Friend them on Facebook; follow them on Twitter.