Goodbye Jesus

Question What They Sell You

FloridaGirl

Guest r3alchild

... Save yourself some mental anguish and find a way to break the lease. If I were in this position and had no other option, I'd go so far as to take out a loan to pay them a year's worth of rent, and live alone. But maybe I'm a bit extreme that way.

I'm a bit extreme that way, too. I think living in a Campus Crusade house with fundigelicals would be hell.

Fundyman up up and away!

... Save yourself some mental anguish and find a way to break the lease.  If I were in this position and had no other option, I'd go so far as to take out a loan to pay them a year's worth of rent, and live alone.  But maybe I'm a bit extreme that way.

I'm a bit extreme that way, too. I think living in a Campus Crusade house with fundigelicals would be hell.

Yep! I agree with my husband when he says that Christians don't need to bother believing in a real hell after death, because they have already created one here on earth.

• Like 1

P.S. OK, you might be wondering how I could have been a Christian and had all that sex. Well... It was my release, my rebellion, my naughty adventure, my search for acceptance and attention (yeah, I know).

I always imagined that if I were God, I would be offended when the "saving my hoo-hoo for Jesus" types arrive in heaven. "I gave you the greatest physical gift ever... For emotional connection, physical release, and pure enjoyment -- and you ignored and demonized this gift? Are you crazy?!"

Hey, we all had to rationalize science with creationism and all kinds of other stuff, so why not sex too?

Hahaha :) these posts are way too funny. You just made my day.

... Save yourself some mental anguish and find a way to break the lease.  If I were in this position and had no other option, I'd go so far as to take out a loan to pay them a year's worth of rent, and live alone.  But maybe I'm a bit extreme that way.

Yep! I agree with my husband when he says that Christians don't need to bother believing in a real hell after death, because they have already created one here on earth.

This option is getting really tempting. I am not sure how I would pay for two leases though. My mom pays for all my college and rent and thinks I should just stay in the Crusade house since I already signed the lease. I could care less about people's religious beliefs. I just do not like the feeling of being judged in my own house. I have already been looking up single bedroom apartments openings in my area online, as a daydream. Whether it is this year or next year ( the lease in the Crusade house is one year) I am definitely getting my own apartment. I guess I could talk further with my mom.

Thank you so much for all your helpful replies, everyone :)

Guest r3alchild

P.S. OK, you might be wondering how I could have been a Christian and had all that sex. Well... It was my release, my rebellion, my naughty adventure, my search for acceptance and attention (yeah, I know).

I always imagined that if I were God, I would be offended when the "saving my hoo-hoo for Jesus" types arrive in heaven. "I gave you the greatest physical gift ever... For emotional connection, physical release, and pure enjoyment -- and you ignored and demonized this gift? Are you crazy?!"

Hey, we all had to rationalize science with creationism and all kinds of other stuff, so why not sex too?

Hahaha :) these posts are way too funny. You just made my day.

They sure do.

HMM. While I agree that imposing this lifestyle and demonising the opposite for others is harmful, I think people's bodies are theirs to do (or not do in this case) whatever they want with, I think church life often provides some sort of refuge for those with a low sex drive when in wider society that's seen as a bit odd. I mean all they have to do is turn on some music video channel and it's all 'wargh I don't want to shake my booty at people I'm a freak D:' for them.

It's not the case for everyone, but I think many Christians 'save their hoo-hoo' because that's what they actually want or feel comfortable doing, and a few passages in the bible certainly read to me like they've been written by either an asexual or an uncomfortable homosexual.

Like, when I was younger I wasn't particularly interested in sex, so having a few friends in the church who weren't going on about it 24/7 was pretty refreshing. Obv. for me it was just a question of meeting the right person and my sex drive levelled up to 100%, but I still wouldn't say the abstinent lifestyle was offensive on an individual level! It's just sad when it all gets tied up with religion

Points well taken, ExXex! Thanks for that perspective.

While we're on the subject, can I ask a dumb question? I assume when a young woman says she's saving it for Jesus, that means she's waiting until marriage, right? It just seems like an odd thing to say. Why not, "saving it for my future husband"?

On another note... I recently read a comment from an atheist Bible scholar who said that back in the days when sins were atoned for with money or other such offerings, focusing in on sins that are so inherent (and irresistible) to human nature (i.e. sex) was a way to keep the guilt mounting and the money flowing. (You know, like tell people not to eat pork on Friday for example, and unless they are starving and have no other option, they can probably live up to that. But no sex? Not gonna happen. Voila -- perpetual guilt!)

Just wondering if you guys have an opinion on that hypothesis. It does seem like religion's focus on the eeeeevils of sex is disproportionate to its importance in the Bible. (I might be wrong there, just my gut feeling. And some churches and denominations are more obsessed with it than others.) I guess there is probably a certain amount of self-preserving advice there (stds, unwanted pregnancies, etc.), just like warning against eating pork before the days of refrigeration was probably sound advice. But I'm cynical enough to believe that condemning something natural and desirable is a good source for guilt, fear, mind control, and ultimately... money. Just wondering.

P.S. Sorry FloridaGirl, if I'm hijacking your thread toward another topic. Maybe I should start another thread of my own. (Nah, I'm about done with this topic for now.) I promise to behave on your thread from now on!  thanks.gif

Aha, I dunno, I've never heard someone use that term in person but I've always assumed it's for marriage and they're doing because of Jesus. More of that impenetrable (pun not intended hehe) Christian jargon everyone uses because everyone else does maybe?

I'd agree with that, dunno whether that's because I'm cynical too! It felt a bit towards the end of my deconversion that the church quite literally wanted to have people by the balls, and that's where they'd squeeze in case they stepped out of line. Sex is a part of one of the most strong bonds we can form with other people, it makes sense for the church to try to exploit/monopolise that. I always thought it a bit weird the emphasis churches often place on the eeevils of sex and let it eclipse other things the bible mentions just as much like avarice and envy, almost like they were scared of it.

Sorry for helping derail the thread! It bugs me a lot that the abstinence movement gets tied up with religion when it could just as easily be something like the gay pride movement where the focus is on accepting your own sexual preferences rather than telling others what to do with theirs. I guess it's easy to get it involved with religion (for young people especially) though when there's this group saying your uncertainties and reservations about sex aren't just okay, but they're the best option for everyone.