Goodbye Jesus

Oklahoma Tornadoes: I'm Trying To Be Nice But...

LifeCycle

Guest r3alchild

If only the religious nut cases gave 10% of their money to science than god, problems like this would be dealt with better and maybe in many cases would be solved.

• Like 1

He talked with the governor of Oklahoma, who stated that Oklahoma had the best people and was a "God-fearing" state full of churches and the highest morals for helping others, along with a great economy.

In other words, "we're the best".

I spent last summer in Oklahoma, and while it is highly religious, what I saw where I was at was a lot of poverty and a crappy economy.

He talked with the governor of Oklahoma, who stated that Oklahoma had the best people and was a "God-fearing" state full of churches and the highest morals for helping others, along with a great economy.

In other words, "we're the best".

I spent last summer in Oklahoma, and while it is highly religious, what I saw where I was at was a lot of poverty and a crappy economy.

Well, the governor was probably reciting the talking points her superiors gave her.

You know, the standard Chamber of Commerce stuff where politicians speak glowing praises of prosperity.

I noticed that Toby Keith has gotten involved in Oklahoma now and he's the singer of the wonderful lyrics, "we'll put a boot in your ass, it's the American way".

It's just more of the "we're the best" cave man mentality on display.

I've been on the outside looking in with Christianity for so long that all I see are people who are too afraid to acknowledge that there is little they can do to stop nature. Prayers like this seem like a denial of their weakness, a refusal to accept the fact that we are alone because even if their is a God he quite clearly gives zero fucks.

• Like 2

This makes my blood boil. I love how you can't have someone on the news simply stating that he or she is an an atheist without it being some kind of liberal conspiracy and/or spiritual attack. I'm usually willing to ignore Glenn Beck's bullshit, but this is too much. What a slimeball. 

EDIT; I mean, even if it's true and this was set up, who the fuck cares? We can't exist and be open about our atheism? 

Sorta like when Ben Franklin invented the lightning rod. Everyone started using them except for churches that wanted to trust in "God" to protect them. After a while it was only churches that were being struck. Dumb shits.

Even before he invented the lightning rod, churches were being struck more than other buildings. Brothels don’t have steeples. (I wonder how that cognitive dissonance played out.)

• Like 1

This makes my blood boil. I love how you can't have someone on the news simply stating that he or she is an an atheist without it being some kind of liberal conspiracy and/or spiritual attack. I'm usually willing to ignore Glenn Beck's bullshit, but this is too much. What a slimeball. 

EDIT; I mean, even if it's true and this was set up, who the fuck cares? We can't exist and be open about our atheism? 

yelrotflmao.gif 

Glen Beck is like watching The Onion.

• Like 1

I know, right? I guess I shouldn't get angry, but there are people out there who actually take this shit seriously. XD

I know, right? I guess I shouldn't get angry, but there are people out there who actually take this shit seriously. XD

I wouldn't put it past one of Wolf Blitzer's researchers to pull a prank on him by misdirecting him to ask such a question.  It's just funny that Beck thinks that it's a scandal and acts so upset about it.

You can always remind them that God sent the tornadoes because he loves us.

SheepFucker.gifSheepFucker.gifSheepFucker.gif

• Like 1

NyxPeregrine: I don't think your point could be phrased any better. It really hits the mark. bill

• Like 1

I'm surprised I haven't (yet) heard some wackjob blame the tornado on the gays, atheists, and abortion providers.

I'm surprised I haven't (yet) heard some wackjob blame the tornado on the gays, atheists, and abortion providers.

Early days, early days...

This is Oklahoma. Gays, atheists, and abortion providers aren’t exactly making policy there.

… Well, they do tolerate the existence of Rebecca Vitsmun (who just lost her home and still did a mental backflip to save Wolf Blitzer in his embarrassment) and Seth Andrews (who is unfailingly polite when he rips theism to shreds). But they probably can’t hold these people up for blame without putting a human face on atheism and making themselves look like total jerks at the same time. Oh, the dilemma.

Dear god, please provide comfort to the families whose children you have just killed. [...] We lift up in prayer all those who you have caused to feel unbearable grief and suffering.

Amen.

I read your prayer to my husband yesterday as we were enjoying some time together watching our daughter swim in our pool. He listened quietly, and when I said "Amen," he chuckled and blurted out, "Good Lord!" To which I replied, "Or not so good, which is the point!" We then had a bittersweet laugh about the absurdity of it all. Thank you, NyxPeregrine, for putting this into a perspective that I as a new de-convert can truly appreciate. You hit the nail on the head.

• Like 1

Glad you guys got a kick out of it. If anyone's ever asked how you can still be atheists in times of tragedy without running to god, feel free to adjust the prayer to your liking and share it around wink.png

This is appropriate for a god that allows 7 children to drown in a basement during the storms so others will grovel and thank him for sparing their lives.  Fuck you, Jesus.

• Like 1

Glad you guys got a kick out of it. If anyone's ever asked how you can still be atheists in times of tragedy without running to god, feel free to adjust the prayer to your liking and share it around wink.png

I'm glad to know you wouldn't mind! In my head I ran through a list of my Christian friends who might benefit from such an awakening, but I decided it might be just a tad too confrontational at a time when they are not ready for it. I'm not yet at a point in my de-conversion where I am ready to debate/fight about it with them. (To their credit, the ones I still care about have been respectful and are giving me my space -- probably assuming I will come back to God sooner or later. NOT) But believe me, the moment one of them comes to me to broach the topic, I'll be doing some quick copy-and-paste action. Consider yourself the ace up my sleeve.  wicked.gif

I'm in Australia so I didn't know who Glenn Beck was, but now I know. He's a fucking moron, that's who he is. 

Fuck.

• Like 1

Glenn Beck is evil on a stick, dipped in evil, with evil sprinkles.

• Like 2

I am sooooo going to steal this analogy, and apply it to a few others as well. Thanks for the laugh!

I wonder what it would taste like to dip apples and strawberries in evil...

The stick's evil too. ;)