Goodbye Jesus

My dad, the asshole

scitsofreaky

My family are all xians, besides me of course. But my little sister has recently had questions and doubt about what she believes, which is perfectly natural if you ask me. Who does she come to for support? That's right, her heathen brother. Why is this? Because apparently I am the only one who is actually capable of real support and not just preaching at her. She has recently developed an interest in philsophy, which is something that I have started to study so I could actually give her some help. So I give her some books to read that I think would benefit her.

So what does my SOB dad do? He in effect tells her not to read the books I have given her. Now this may seem obvious since I am not a christian, but they don't know I'm not. Instead of showing support for her interests, he attacks them. The attack is probably out of fear, or multiple fears, including the fear of my sister burning in hell. But I think that he is also afraid that she will actually find a good reason not to believe, thereby showing what he believes is wrong.

I was raised with the belief that xianity was all about love and support, yet the very people that are preaching this are totally incapable of support and showing love. I know, I know, hypocracy in xianity is anything but new, but it hasn't hit this close to home like this before.

*Sigh* Thanks for liste-er-reading.

Sorry to hear that.

For a long time I was concerned that shaking my mother's faith was the wrong thing to do.

She's old, she's going to die sooner, rather than later, and if faith is what brings her comfort, more power to her.

But for the last few weeks, I've been evaluating that position and I don't think it's right anymore. My mom is a smart lady. Thinking people deserve freedom... and more importantly, thinking people can handle freedom, so I've been trying to get her to come here and just read.

Not post, not argue, just read.

Would this work for your dad, do you think?

I doubt that would work for my dad. He would just see all the "evil" here and all the foul language. Apparently he has read my blog where I have a somewhat lengthy piece on what I think of religion (which I have on my blog here as well if you want to read it) but somehow missed what I was saying when it seems pretty damn obvious to me.

Oh, and I guess I should have said that my little sister does know I'm not a xian any more, but she is the only one that knows for sure, but she tells me that the rest of the family has started asking about my "spiritual" life or whatever.

I feel for you man, I'm in a similar situation with my younger sister.