Goodbye Jesus

Are Christians Like The Borg

Guest r3alchild

Guest r3alchild

post-20843-0-83340200-1369835886_thumb.jpg

Who are the borg? The borg are a technological advanced race of cybernetically evolved humanoids who are hell bent on inslaving the whole universe into their collective. (sound familiar) The borg first appeared on the tv show startrek next generation. I thought it would be interesting for us to discuss the possible parallels between the borg collective from the startrek universe to the christian collective affecting us in real life. (see I am making parallels already)

attachicon.gif574816-borg2.jpg

Who are the borg? The borg are a technological advanced race of cybernetically evolved humans who are hell bent on inslaving the whole universe into their collective. (sound familiar) The borg first appeared on the tv show startrek next generation. I thought it would be interesting for us to discuss the possible parallels between the borg collective from startrek and the christian collective affecting us in real life.

Well, they aren't exactly like the Borg. Christians have too many factions among them. They are just a bunch of separate little collectives, agreeing on at least one thing, with the rest of the collectives, but are not afraid to fight each other. But, the majority of the Christians are determined to assimilate the nonbelievers into their collectives, though they don't use force these days. They just use false advertising. Back when the Christians had the inquisition and the crusades going on, they were very much like the Borg then. 

Guest r3alchild

Who are the borg? The borg are a technological advanced race of cybernetically evolved humans who are hell bent on inslaving the whole universe into their collective. (sound familiar) The borg first appeared on the tv show startrek next generation. I thought it would be interesting for us to discuss the possible parallels between the borg collective from startrek and the christian collective affecting us in real life.

Well, they aren't exactly like the Borg. Christians have too many factions among them. They are just a bunch of separate little collectives, agreeing on at least one thing, with the rest of the collectives, but are not afraid to fight each other. But, the majority of the Christians are determined to assimilate the nonbelievers into their collectives, though they don't use force these days. They just use false advertising. Back when the Christians had the inquisition and the crusades going on, they were very much like the Borg then.

Did you know the borg are also split into many groups, each group with one high hive mind. (the queen) Their main goal is to become perfect through technology.

Did you know the borg are also split into many groups, each group with one high hive mind. (the queen) Their main goal is to become perfect through technology.

I guess I did not know that. I thought they were all part of a massive collective with just one queen.

• Super Moderator

Some are, but there is too much infighting to paint the whole group like that. For example, many Baptists would think that one who converts to Catholicism has been lost to Satan. Some sects are hell bent on bringing everyone into their fold, but many others are more civilized and don't try to drag everyone in reach into their church. Some Christians even make it a priority to get along with all religions, Christian or not.

Guest r3alchild

I guess I did not know that. I thought they were all part of a massive collective with just one queen.

Well hang on I could have jumped the gun, I snipped this from the startrek website

(Information on this being is still very limited. Apparently the Borg Queen has been destroyed on a number of occasions, but another queen always seems to take her place. (It is not clear whether more than one queen exists simultaneously, or if a new queen is created when the old one dies.) The Borg's collective nature makes it likely that each Borg Queen has all her predecessors' (and/or counterparts') qualities and memories. Therefore when she speaks as "I," she is presumably referring to all previous manifestations of the Queen, going back probably thousands of years.)

I will just say for arguments sake, I am wrong and there is most likely one queen.

Guest r3alchild

However while watching the startrek series I noticed how the borg can be disconnected to the collective or create their own mini collective, or even rebel against the collective while keeping their agenda to assimilate.

Personally, I think comparing morontheists to Trek's Borg is an insult...

...to the Borg.

Seriously, to a degree I can understand the fictional Borgs' point of view. I'm unable to do that with hardcore morontheists.

Gee, to think that the Borg are just a copy of another, older concept... one that I totally love... and still I prefer them to morontheism :P

• Like 1

Personally, I think comparing morontheists to Trek's Borg is an insult...

...to the Borg.

Seriously, to a degree I can understand the fictional Borgs' point of view. I'm unable to do that with hardcore morontheists.

Gee, to think that the Borg are just a copy of another, older concept... one that I totally love... and still I prefer them to morontheism tongue.png

Well, the Christians are far too disorganized to compare them to the Borg, is that what you mean, or is it because the majority of Christians are nowhere near as intelligent, as a whole, as the Borg would be?

• Like 1

Televangelists are more Ferengi.

• Like 4

Well, the Christians are far too disorganized to compare them to the Borg, is that what you mean, or is it because the majority of Christians are nowhere near as intelligent, as a whole, as the Borg would be?

What I mean is that the Borgs' stated goals (perfection and improving the standard of living for everyone, at least that's how it's said in the German translations) do make sense in a way, from their point of view. They start from an assumption that not everyone will agree with but that is not illogical. There is strength and comfort in unity and being part of a strong group after all. Especially the Voyager eps shortly after Seven of Nine came aboard and got separated from the collective are quite a fascinating and enlightening watch regarding that.

The morontheists' claims, however, fail even the most basic test of internal consistency and such. The standard Borg drone has no personality of its own, but the morontheist effectively has no mind. Wendycrazy.gif

• Like 1

What I mean is that the Borgs' stated goals (perfection and improving the standard of living for everyone, at least that's how it's said in the German translations) do make sense in a way, from their point of view. They start from an assumption that not everyone will agree with but that is not illogical. There is strength and comfort in unity and being part of a strong group after all. Especially the Voyager eps shortly after Seven of Nine came aboard and got separated from the collective are quite a fascinating and enlightening watch regarding that.

The morontheists' claims, however, fail even the most basic test of internal consistency and such. The standard Borg drone has no personality of its own, but the morontheist effectively has no mind. Wendycrazy.gif

Seven of Nine's life on Voyager from the moment she came aboard sure was interesting!

If Christians are the Borg then facts are Species 8472.

Oh no, da facts are after us . . .

jesus.gif

Run Jesus, run!

• Like 1

Yup Vorlons are badass tongue.png

(referring to how much #8472 seems to me to be a cheap copy of Bab5's Vorlons ^^ )

• Like 1

Yup Vorlons are badass tongue.png

(referring to how much #8472 seems to me to be a cheap copy of Bab5's Vorlons ^^ )

It sure looks like a cheap copy of Vorlons.

One noteable difference... we are all living proof that resistance is NOT futile !  yellow.gif

• Like 2

Guest r3alchild

One noteable difference... we are all living proof that resistance is NOT futile ! yellow.gif

I giggled at that but then thought but so is the federation.

You're all a bunch of nerds...

The Ferengi comment was spot-on though. ;-)

• Like 1

And proud of it.

And proud of it.

I wrote that tongue-in-cheek. Although I wouldn't consider myself a Trekkie, I HAVE watched all episodes and movies (aside from Voyager) pertaining to Star Trek.

Revelation 21 describes the New Jerusalem descending: 21:16 And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.

In other words, it's a giant cube!

(12,000 furlongs = 1500 miles)

In early 2012, with all the hysteria about the end times, my small group leader took upon himself to present the topic for our monthly Bible study, to clear up misconceptions and ease people's minds with all the non-Biblical hoopla swirling around. I thought this would be the perfect time to mention that the new Jerusalem might look a little like a Borg hive, just sayin'. The other group members chuckled a little and visibly squirmed, because the implications -- if you think about it -- are a bit freaky.

All of us living in a giant cube that comes down out of the sky, interconnected in our happy thoughts, all with the same task all day of worshipping god at the center of the cube for all eternity...

Borg.

• Like 3

Guest r3alchild

Revelation 21 describes the New Jerusalem descending: 21:16 And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.

In other words, it's a giant cube!

(12,000 furlongs = 1500 miles)

In early 2012, with all the hysteria about the end times, my small group leader took upon himself to present the topic for our monthly Bible study, to clear up misconceptions and ease people's minds with all the non-Biblical hoopla swirling around. I thought this would be the perfect time to mention that the new Jerusalem might look a little like a Borg hive, just sayin'. The other group members chuckled a little and visibly squirmed, because the implications -- if you think about it -- are a bit freaky.

All of us living in a giant cube that comes down out of the sky, interconnected in our happy thoughts, all with the same task all day of worshipping god at the center of the cube for all eternity...

Borg.

See this is what I was talking about in the op.

Seven of Nine's life on Voyager from the moment she came aboard sure was interesting!

I would replace life with outfits. Trishrazberry.gif

• Like 1

Meh that's exactly the one thing that pissed me off about Seven when I first saw her. One look at her frame and I was "Ah yes, titties so that male geeks keep watching" lmao_99.gif

Guest r3alchild

Meh that's exactly the one thing that pissed me off about Seven when I first saw her. One look at her frame and I was "Ah yes, titties so that male geeks keep watching" :lmao:

She was the geeks perfect girl, naive to all human desires and needing to learn. So who is it that has to teach her the ways of being human... The biggest nerd of all...

post-20843-0-63106900-1370281846_thumb.jpg

• Like 1