Goodbye Jesus

N.A.S.A's

Fweethawt

This link was sent to me the other day by another one of our forum members. I thought that I would give it a nice home right here. :D

N.A.S.A's Astronomy Picture of the Day Archive

They add pictures to it daily, which is probably a damn fine reason for calling it a 'Picture of the Day Archive'. :lol:

Take a look! If you're into this sort of thing, you'll love it. ;)

This stuff is just too awesome!

Here is my favorite one so far. Could you imagine doing something like that? :o

I turned that pic into a wallpaper for my desktop.

Here's a 1024x768 image in case anyone else wants it.

VERY nice link Fwee, thanks much,

Merlin

It made me feel smaller than a pin but equally as important.

That is just too cool... If that was me, I'd be really glad they've got "collection pouches" in those suits!

:unsure:

That is just too cool... If that was me, I'd be really glad they've got "collection pouches" in those suits!

:unsure:

We should add captions to that....

"oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!"

aaaah...I just love photoshop...

gesundheit!!

gesundheit.jpg

This is a great link, Fwee! Thanks!

The second one on the list makes a great deaktop background.

Challenger would love this thread. Where are you, Challenger?

TAP

I just LOVE the Water on Mars Pic... Go check it out!

TAP

Mine's better....

Guest Challenger

TAP

Right here, TAP. Thank you for thinking about me.

By the way, the astronaut in that shot, piloting the Manned Maneuvering Unit (MMU), was named Bruce McCandless, and he was being photographed from the Space Shuttle. . .Challenger.

We should add captions to that....

"oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!"

How 'bout, "Where will you be the next time your diarrhea flares up?" icon11.gif

:lmao:

Right here, TAP.  Thank you for thinking about me.

By the way, the astronaut in that shot, piloting the Manned Maneuvering Unit (MMU), was named Bruce McCandless, and he was being photographed from the Space Shuttle. . .Challenger.

Yeah, the article that goes with that picture says this:
Explanation: At about 100 meters from the cargo bay of the space shuttle Challenger, Bruce McCandless II was further out than anyone had ever been before. Guided by a Manned Maneuvering Unit (MMU), astronaut McCandless, pictured above, was floating free in space. McCandless and fellow NASA astronaut Robert Stewart were the first to experience such an "untethered space walk" during Space Shuttle mission 41-B in 1984. The MMU works by shooting jets of nitrogen and has since been used to help deploy and retrieve satellites. With a mass over 140 kilograms, an MMU is heavy on Earth, but, like everything, is weightless when drifting in orbit. The MMU was replaced with the SAFER backpack propulsion unit.

"further out than anyone had ever been before"??? That dude has nads of steel.

This stuff just blows me away. :phew:

double post...

Oh c'mon! No bright pink floaties coming from his hand? :grin:

Oh c'mon! No bright pink floaties coming from his hand?  :grin:

hahaha! I was assuming that he was caught with it...and wasn't prepared.

hahaha!  I was assuming that he was caught with it...and wasn't prepared.
Okay then... where's the brown floaties coming from his visor? :lmao:

fuck!!!

here we go...try again!

That's just wrong.

I imagined myself in his position for a few seconds and it gave me the willies. What's the opposite of claustrophobia? Fear of wide open spaces? That's about the worst I could imagine. I don't think I have it, but damn that's just scary.

I also imagine him flying up to the shuttle and reaching out for the door handle, and the shuttle pilot scooting away from him. Then going 'hahaha just kidding, get in' and doing it again and again. So there he is, 100 meters away from the shuttle, going 'cmon guys this isn't funny anymore'

Guest Challenger
I imagined myself in his position for a few seconds and it gave me the willies.  What's the opposite of claustrophobia?  Fear of wide open spaces?  That's about the worst I could imagine.  I don't think I have it, but damn that's just scary.

I also imagine him flying up to the shuttle and reaching out for the door handle, and the shuttle pilot scooting away from him.  Then going 'hahaha just kidding, get in' and doing it again and again.  So there he is, 100 meters away from the shuttle, going 'cmon guys this isn't funny anymore'

I've met some of our astronauts, including one who flew the MMU. Our spacewalkers have said they really don't have a sense of height, or or motion, travleing around the earth at 5 miles per second.

Or imagine what it was like to walk on the moon. On the later Apollo missions the astronauts were equipped with a rover, similar to a dune buggy, and they were able to travel miles away from the Lunar module, at times losing sight of it completely.

Good thing they left tracks everywhere they went. . .

I better stay away from that site.

It keeps making me regret that I didn't get into

this type of stuff back in my younger days. :HappyCry:

Lunation

Credit & Copyright: António Cidadão

Explanation: Our Moon's appearance changes nightly. This time-lapse sequence shows what our Moon looks like during a lunation, a complete lunar cycle. As the Moon orbits the Earth, the half illuminated by the Sun first becomes increasingly visible, then decreasingly visible. The Moon always keeps the same face toward the Earth. The Moon's apparent size changes slightly, though, and a slight wobble called a libration is discernable as it progresses along its elliptical orbit. During the cycle, sunlight reflects from the Moon at different angles, and so illuminates different features differently. A full lunation takes about 29.5 days, just under a month (moon-th).

lunation_ajc.gif

That time-lapse stuff is just too cool. :twitch:

This is one of my favorite web sites! I almost always have one of their pics as my desktop background. You can also learn a lot from going there (at least, more than you'd learn sitting in your cube at work otherwise).

I imagined myself in his position for a few seconds and it gave me the willies.  What's the opposite of claustrophobia?  Fear of wide open spaces? 

Fear of open spaces is agoraphobia.

Excellent site. I'm glad NASA is into web publishing.