Goodbye Jesus

Faux documentaries

saxyroze

http://www.framestore-cfc.com/television/the_last_dragon/

Why in the world do people make faux documentaries? What’s the purpose? I’ve run into a few people who had also seen this documentary and they actually thought it was real! Ok, yeah, that would be fucking awesome if it was real and they really had found evidence of a fire breathing dragon and such, but it’s not real! Documentaries, to me, are for learning…not to live out and document a bogus fantasy. It really frustrates me, I don’t know why, I really don’t. It was fun to watch but if you’re going to make a faux documentary at least be considerate and say at the end in the credits “Oh, by the way folks, this was made up, we have no evidence of fire breathing dragons, sorry!” I know it's a petty thing to be annoyed at but I can't help it. Ok, I’m done ranting.

I loved that show.

Good stuff.

They basically took the premise that if a dragon were found frozen in ice, how would science explain it?

It was not only a visual masterpiece (the dragon mating flight was super badass), but they basically took the mythical aspect out of draconic legends.

How are they able to breathe fire? They eat a certain mineral.

How can they fly? Digestive gases from the same mineral.

How can they digest this mineral? And so forth...

It was really good if you were looking for a neat diversion, but if you were expecting a documentary, I can see where you'd get a little upset.

http://www.framestore-cfc.com/television/the_last_dragon/

Why in the world do people make faux documentaries? What’s the purpose? I’ve run into a few people who had also seen this documentary and they actually thought it was real! Ok, yeah, that would be fucking awesome if it was real and they really had found evidence of a fire breathing dragon and such, but it’s not real! Documentaries, to me, are for learning…not to live out and document a bogus fantasy. It really frustrates me, I don’t know why, I really don’t. It was fun to watch but if you’re going to make a faux documentary at least be considerate and say at the end in the credits “Oh, by the way folks, this was made up, we have no evidence of fire breathing dragons, sorry!” I know it's a petty thing to be annoyed at but I can't help it. Ok, I’m done ranting.

It isn't presented as 'real' at all on the Animal Planet's web site.........tres cool preview though!

Dragons

Anne Macaffery hired some biologist to consult for her Pern novels, IIRC. That was how they were semi-realistic dragons. I find that sort of thing interesting as a "what-if." But I wish they wouldn't label it a documentary.

Reminds me of the massive conspiracy theory raised by the Fox documentry about how the moon landings were faked. The stupid documentry failed to look for answers for the questions they poised, and failed to ask the questions that the conspiracy theorists can't answer.

The old story that sensationism sells while facts are dull.