Goodbye Jesus

The Problem Of Evil

roadrunner

Sorry for the rant but my wife and I just got into a heated discussion regarding the problem of evil. Every sunday she slides me some article in the paper about some subjective experience that some person far away had to show me god is real 

There is no way around the problem of evil. People do all the work and when no one is there to do the work you get the fallen world bs to justify the fact that god didn't show up....nevermind that he only shows up when a human is there to do all the work for him and attribute the success to him. People invoke that as a cover up to hide from the logic of admitting that it looks like god is not there. 

If we live in a fallen world, why did god flood the world and kill everybody. That's a shoddy extermination if you ask me. I can understand the adam story. it makes no sense and it demonstrably false but lets say that it was the point sin entered the world. Btw it was according to Paul. Then why flood the world to get rid of evil and why the drop in life spans after the flood if sin was in the world long before the flood.

If I'm not mistaken, the old testament says nothing about sin entering the world. That is a new testament phenomenon to justify death, shorter lives, gods absence, disease, no chrisitan can justify the problem of evil. It shows that people are doing all the work and god is imaginary.

I do not think there is evil per se. If there were, it would not be distributed disproportionately amongst the poor.

When I was an Xer this bothered me. Why is it that those with money have protection from evil and those who do not, based on just where they live etc....do not? 

People are pretty bad across the board and they  take drugs and are prescribed poison and have metals and plastics in their brains.....and then they make decisions. Occum's razor Shit happens. Keep the dopamin down and stay away from woo woo. 

God's ways are higher than ours, God is just, you should not question His ways, the duty of your time on earth is to evangelize and help the poor, blah blah blah....

I never got any satisfying explanations either.

Mistreating animals is evil.

Driving a car too ast on the freeway is evil.

Telling your mom that you don't want to help with the dishes is evil.

Parking your car in front of your neighbors house is evil.

There are many evils out there. What we consider evil or not has to do with consensus.

Slavery wasn't evil in the Bible times (except when "God's people" were enslaved). Raping wasn't too bad, just pay the fines and marry the victim, and all is fine. Killing children for minor things wasn't evil either.

Things change. Our views change. Mores, values, morals, ethics, all change. Evil exist... but only in our minds.

When the human race was nothing but "animals" we'd kill each other and did terrible things. Things we don't approve of today. No one argued back then how wrong it was.

In the future, more things we be "evil". Things we haven't considered today to be such.

Aren't there certain activities we all concede are evil? I am talking about killing someone else and taking pleasure from it, not out of revenge or anything but a total strangers, including children, a la the BTK serial killer, -people like that?

Evil is still real in my book.

At the same time, I don't believe in the whole "fallen world" idea.  There was plainly never a perfect world or a paradise like Eden except as a metaphor for perhaps a time before our realization developed to the point where, probably unlike most other sentient beings, we realized we had a limited lifespan.

I never understood it either, but God doesn't create evil, people do.  Humanity is not so humane.

Aren't there certain activities we all concede are evil? I am talking about killing someone else and taking pleasure from it, not out of revenge or anything but a total strangers, including children, a la the BTK serial killer, -people like that?

Today, yes. In the past, I'm not so sure.

If we just use the Bible as a social reference to study how culture has changed, Psalm 137:9 suggests that the attitude was very different back in those days. "Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks."

I called this the problem of evil because that it how it's categorized by the xian community. I would call it the problem of the apparent absence of god in the world.

The Problem of Evil is the name of a logical proof in philosophy.  It demonstrates that the multi-omni God described by certain Christians cannot exist in our universe.  It is iron clad, rock solid.  It cannot be defeated.

If there is a God then this God must be either evil, weak, ignorant or some combination thereof.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/evil/

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"   -   Epicurus

• Like 1

I called this the problem of evil because that it how it's categorized by the xian community. I would call it the problem of the apparent absence of god in the world.

At least the apparent absence of a good god. If evil exist, and God is good, the God is allowing evil for some good reasons, which would make the evil a means to an end. Usually we don't consider that very good either. The end doesn't justify the means, as we say. So God is really in a tough spot. He could, if he existed, show himself to everyone, everyday, in every situation, in a very clear and obvious way. But he doesn't simply because that kind of God doesn't exist.