Goodbye Jesus

Do You Think Xianity Is Becoming Less Revelant In Culture?

greylight

Do you think that Xianity is becoming less relevant in current generations. What I'm hoping is when all the old white evangelicals die off, we are left with a more liberal version of xianity with the newer generations. And as much as we make fun of the liberal xians, I think they are what will make xianity eventually be so watered down it won't even be a harmful part of society anymore.

• Super Moderator

I do see religion vanishing from popular media, if that's any indicator. The pro religious ranting we hear primarily these days seems to be from the fanatic faction in their death throes.

If Apple can lose its luster in just a couple of short years, then xianity can too.  People are fickle and have a lot more competing ideas than they did during the pre internet era.

I recently saw a study from Pew Forum that showed every Christian denomination in the US shrinking except for Pentecostals.  Catholics were treading water due to hispanic population growth.  Of course the "nones" are rising too.

So it seems like Christianity will become a smaller and more zealous religion.

Guest Babylonian Dream

The growth of moderates in the middle eastern world is strongly correlated with more violent fanatacism. The more isolated these extreme groups get, the louder and angrier they get. Then again, we've been passed that stage ages ago, now only really isolated pockets get like that. But its not just the exchristian world that's seeing a trend. Islamic countries are seeing a rise as well in "nonbelievers", except they try to squash it. The internet causes ideas to spread out more. This has proven really dangerous for religion, as it leaves no hiding places.

Fundamentalists and religious radicals (is there a difference?)will grow exponentially when there is a

crises. Leaders of the fundies manufacture them when there isn't a real one. But real ones come around

with regularity. History has shown this to be a pattern. Remember, in the very early 20th century it was thought by various pundits that religion was in its last days. But it rose from the ashes again. So I

think they will always be with us. Moreover, the mass media has given these fanatics a stage at which to

create a mythical crises or two, if not more. The masses are extremely gullible, as we know.

They buy into all kinds of fantastic stuff. So I think we are always going to have to be on guard for the fundies and other extremists. bill