Goodbye Jesus

How Do You Deal With Still-Christians Offering To Pray For You?

ExXex

Today I got a bit distressed by something (fairly crappy but not life or death crappy) which the outcome of was pretty much out of my hands, and my Christian friend was all 'I'll pray lots and lots and hopefully God will sort it'

Which. hmm what am I meant to say about that? I mean it's nice she'll be thinking of me and hoping the best but it's not going to fucking change anything D: I remember the days when it did feel like I could exert some control over things and that God was looking out for me and it was so reassuring but now it just makes me feel empty and even more useless.

So I was all 'er... thanks' and now I don't know how to make the useless feelings go away. Why can't people just stick with 'you'll survive mate'? Man, how do you deal with people smushing in your face the realisation there's probably not someone up there looking out for your best interests after all? She might as well have said she was praying to the patron saint of 'couldn't give a shit if you lived or died'.

So yeah, now I feel bad her kind words have only made me feel more crappy, and that I couldn't tell her that.

• Like 2

If your friend is anything like i'm picturing, she probably said that stuff to make herself feel better about whatever it is you're dealing with. In a xtian mindset, they think they're helping and being thoughtful, but in all actuality, they're not. It's kind of a slap in the face when you think about it. The scary part is that they don't understand how careless and cold that sounds to us outsiders. Some probably don't care, but regardless of intent, it's no less upsetting.

The xtian friends i thought i made are long gone from my life, so i'm afraid i'm not much help when it comes to friends saying that kind of thing. If it were coming from a stranger or someone i didn't know all that well, i'd probably tell them not to bother.

Whatever you're dealing with, you'll get through it. smile.png

I try to ignore them. Some pause as if they think I will suddenly burst into a prayer meeting with them. I gave up explaining my feelings to them because the religious are so dead in the head and have doe-eyed smiles that are totally blank. No one's home to explain to. If someone wants to pray for my continued good health, so be it. But is that person makes a comment about saving my soul or leading me into repentance, then they get the brunt of my nice adorable self.

• Like 2

I find it hard to resist the urge to say "oh so you really dont care about my problem then?" I just let them go ahead. Truth abut them is they are too  pisisweak to care about my problems anyway.

Since it's an utterly meaningless practice, I ignore it. If there is something they can actually DO, I may ask them to do that.

I mostly just nod my head and consider it the equivalent to saying, "I wish you luck" or "I hope things improve." Empty words, perhaps, but if they don't mean any harm than best to let it go and accept the gesture.

Whatever you are going through, stand strong you'll pull though it :)

• Like 4

I ignore it, or maybe give it a noncommittal grunt. It helps them feel like they’re helping me, and it doesn’t hurt me. (Besides, the person who throws it in my face most often is my mom, so what can I do?)

Today I got a bit distressed by something (fairly crappy but not life or death crappy) which the outcome of was pretty much out of my hands, and my Christian friend was all 'I'll pray lots and lots and hopefully God will sort it'

Which. hmm what am I meant to say about that? I mean it's nice she'll be thinking of me and hoping the best but it's not going to fucking change anything D: I remember the days when it did feel like I could exert some control over things and that God was looking out for me and it was so reassuring but now it just makes me feel empty and even more useless.

So I was all 'er... thanks' and now I don't know how to make the useless feelings go away. Why can't people just stick with 'you'll survive mate'? Man, how do you deal with people smushing in your face the realisation there's probably not someone up there looking out for your best interests after all? She might as well have said she was praying to the patron saint of 'couldn't give a shit if you lived or died'.

So yeah, now I feel bad her kind words have only made me feel more crappy, and that I couldn't tell her that.

You're gonna 'pray' for me? I was really hoping for some cash!

• Like 3

A simple "Thank you" should solve the problem.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I usually try to ignore them or maybe give a noncommittal shrug or "hmmmm.." and a nod of my head to acknowledge that I heard them.  I don't usually thank them.   I saw this picture the other day so from now on, this is what I will think to myself:

whatmakesyouthink.jpg

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

You're gonna 'pray' for me? I was really hoping for some cash!

That cracked me up.....  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

• Super Moderator
'I'll pray lots and lots and hopefully God will sort it'

I agree with Seeker. I just interpret that as saying "I wish you the best and hope everything works out for you."

The proper response is, "Thank you."

If a person knows that you are not a Christian and still says something like that, they may be trying to send a message on behalf of God, but they still mean well.  It's just how a lot of people offer condolences and think that they are helping.  I just say, "thanks."  I may even jokingly ask for a specific prayer.

"Well, if you think magic's the answer I appreciate the effort."

mwc

• Like 2

I think a good response would be, "I'd rather you not, thanks."

And take it from there.

'I'll pray lots and lots and hopefully God will sort it'

I agree with Seeker. I just interpret that as saying "I wish you the best and hope everything works out for you."

The proper response is, "Thank you."

Agreed. It's like "have a blessed day." Smile and press on.

Still-Christians....is that like still-birth?

"Thank you" is all I say. They mean well...so that's good enough for me.

I read where someone's response was: "Thank you. I'll think for you."    bill

You can just say "thanks" with a smile if possible.  It makes them happy and less confrontational.  You don't have to believe it.  

I just say thanks! Otherwise, you might get pulled into a great debate or they might realize you're soul is in need of saving. 

• Like 1

Still-Christians....is that like still-birth?

Hahaa, nah it's still in a sea of calm knowing god loves them.

I wouldn't not thank them as it's a nice gesture if you're into all that, it's just the inner gut reaction of 'everything is meaningless and I'm all alone D:' that I have trouble with when it happens.

Try diverting their attention.  Tell them instead of praying for what you're going through, you'll trade places with the several hundred?, thousand? children that died of starvation during the course of the conversation.  Maybe their god can help them instead.

There are still a handful of Christians who only offer to pray for me AFTER having a conversation and/or trying to helm me find a solution to whats troubling me.  Its merely and afterthought and not their primary course of action.  Those that only offer prayer are BSing me even in their own deluded reality because I found it to be the case that most believers don't even bother to pray for you anyways.  Most of the "pray only" Christians already ditched me after they realized I wasn't returning back to the cult anyways.