Goodbye Jesus

God And The Eternal Multiverse.

BlackCat

Does your current level of belief in Jesus cause you discomfort?

I feel annoyance and frustration.  The anguish I felt when I first left Christianity, has faded mostly, so it's more a kind of emptiness, a missing part of me. 

I hope all turns out well BC. 

You may be right. At times of having to face our own mortality the thought of Jesus can sound appealing. 

But what about this, what about getting to a place where you're ok with the possibility that when we die consciousness ceases to exist?

Forget about OBE and NDE testimony and everything else for a moment. Suppose it's all delusional hype. What's wrong with coming into consciousness after conception and fading out of consciousness after death?

There may be more, but what if there isn't? 

That doesn't scare me at all. It doesn't give me the urge to try and run back to Jesus or theism. Because I know that's not the only possibility and in fact is probably one of the least probable options for any potential afterlife... 

I don't know if I would have run back to Jesus because of this.  I've never really left Him, and so it's hard to know.  The idea of consciousness ceasing doesn't really scare me.  I've not had any sleepless nights worrying about it.  It may be to do with the hope you have in seeing the loved ones who have gone on ahead of you.  My dad died two years ago and so I still haven't accepted that I will never see him again.  I know I probably won't but I hold out hope that I will.  It's that hope that I see no problem in having. :)

That's a strange hope to have when you really think about it. Why in the world would we see our dead relatives again? How much time have you spent critically examining this issue? 

I feel annoyance and frustration.  The anguish I felt when I first left Christianity, has faded mostly, so it's more a kind of emptiness, a missing part of me. 

I'm glad the anguish has passed. Hopefully with time so will the annoyance and frustration.

I'm glad the anguish has passed. Hopefully with time so will the annoyance and frustration.

Thanks.  :) 

That's a strange hope to have when you really think about it. Why in the world would we see our dead relatives again? How much time have you spent critically examining this issue? 

I agree it is a strange hope.  It defies all logic and it defies science.  It is a very defiant idea.  It seems to have a life of its own.....wink.png