Goodbye Jesus

Skepticism

greylee

I don't consider myself an atheist, and yet whenever I try to be more spiritual, I just feel silly. Like I've become one of those new age weirdos. Plus, I'm not sure what I believe in, so whatever I do, I feel like I'm playing pretend. I guess part of it is that it's all so foreign to me.

But I do want to explore the more spiritual beliefs that I have. I'm just not sure how.

I just wanted to add that I think for the most part, I just want to connect with something. Yet when I try, I feel silly because i'm just one small person in the world and I think my actions don't really matter, and silly for trying to connect with something that is probably not out there.

• Super Moderator

I don't see how one can be skeptical yet take things on faith. Some brains need to demand a higher level of evidence than others. If you're wired for skepticism, it will be a bit difficult to buy into concepts that have no hard evidence. If you're not wired as a skeptic, go with what seems logical (in context) and seems helpful to you. I am a skeptic, yet I find many Buddhist practices and views to be useful; I don't have to believe in literal souls, karma, gods, etc. to benefit from some of the ideas found within the religion.

I think Floriduh hit the nail on the head. You don't have to subscribe to anyone culture or belief system if spirituality seems strange to  you  but you cant shake that feeling why not just try incorporating some of their philosophies?

By connecting with us here and other mon believers on the outside, you just might be able to find that fellowship you need and the ability to discuss your disbelief.

Perhaps define what 'spirituality' is for you, now you no longer subscribe to christianity, and see if your logic and reason can accept the definition as possible. I have kind of been in a similar position since deconverting. Since I was a child (not indoctrinated into any religion either) I naturally 'felt' spiritual and was interested in ancient mysteries, ghosts, NDE ect and was actually a buddhist when I converted to christianity at 21. Thing is, I am also a very logical and rational person so once I discovered christianity to be a farce, and felt the humiliation of being duped, I now cannot just simply believe things on faith so I am questioning everything. When I look at my beliefs I realized I am pretty much an atheist now...BUT...I am no less spiritual int the way I experience the world as it still holds great wonder and awe - a deep connectedness to every atom in the universe.

As has been mentioned some eastern religions can offer great centering practices, such as meditation, that help build this sense of connection, awe and peace. I am still open to the possibility of phenomena such as ghosts, premonition etc but I think once we discover the cause of some of these phenomena we will not find anything supernatural actually occurring eg. ghosts could be something weird going on in the magnetic field that stores 'prints' of the energy from a past human presence (I am totally making that up btw) unsolved mysteries of all kinds have always facinated me, and probably always will. I just don't believe without evidence anymore.

I don't think its at all silly to want to feel a part of something bigger. I also recommend looking into the Eastern religions. As Florduh says, you don't have to believe all of it and you can decide for yourself how much you want to participate, since these religions don't insist you buy the whole package, like Christianity does.

I don't consider myself an atheist, and yet whenever I try to be more spiritual, I just feel silly. Like I've become one of those new age weirdos. Plus, I'm not sure what I believe in, so whatever I do, I feel like I'm playing pretend. I guess part of it is that it's all so foreign to me.

But I do want to explore the more spiritual beliefs that I have. I'm just not sure how.

You can start with the statement to yourself, "I don't know."

I just wanted to add that I think for the most part, I just want to connect with something. Yet when I try, I feel silly because i'm just one small person in the world and I think my actions don't really matter, and silly for trying to connect with something that is probably not out there.

Out there? 

Maybe that's the problem. Spirituality in a literalist Christian view is addressed to some foreign deity out there. And that's a corruption of true Spirituality in the opinion of some.

What you're actually trying to connect with is within you. It's about what's always been there inside of you and coming to terms with and realizing that. The mystical realization is about an inward journey and that's the hub of what some would call true spirituality.

And it's not a question of whether it's there or not.

Are you here?

If yes, then it's there...