Goodbye Jesus

It's A Free Gift! Glory!

Brother Jeff

The price of the "free gift" is a lifetime of slavery.

• Like 4

couldn't agree more. whenever I hear the free gift of god I cant help but think "cough Bullshit cough".  It costs you everything from your mind to your sex life and everything in between. You must enslave yourself to YHWH to get salvation. which makes a lot of sense considering in  the beginning god created us as slaves to work the fields so Massa El Elyon could kick back and relax

• Like 4

Fantastic essay, Jeff!  To accept this "gift" is to neuter and even negate one's own humanity.

• Like 1

Indeed, it's the old free gift fraud, like the cheap trinket you get for "free" when you buy a box of children's cereal.

A truly free gift requires nothing in return.

Added to the conditions of belief, servitude and worship are the requirements to be water baptized, to confess before men, to repent, and to maintain faith.

It's not a free gift but a barter arrangement.

The only way the gift is free is if predestination is in effect (a doctrine which most Christians loath), in which case the whole matter was settled by God before the person was born.

The Bible teaches predestination/election.  "Accepting Jesus as your saviour", "Giving your heart to God", "Making a commitment to Christ", etc, are all phrases not found in scripture.  Personally I believe they are all BS - an appeal to the "free will" of man and contradictory to the New Testament.

According to my "Christian belief", if God wants you he will have you.  If he doesn't, no effort on your part will make any difference. However, since nobody knows who is ultimately one of the chosen ones, nobody can say they will always be an atheist, an agnostic or a non-Christian.  

Which is kind of comforting, even if you, like me, are not sure whether Christianity is true or not.

• Like 1

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but shall have everlasting life." *

*Unless you quit (because then according to Hebrews you can't come back), or you're gay, or you don't want to be obsessed with Jeezuz and love him more than your own mother, or you don't sacrifice your life for him, or if you're being tortured for believing and in panic you renounce your belief.

• Like 2

The Bible teaches predestination/election.  "Accepting Jesus as your saviour", "Giving your heart to God", "Making a commitment to Christ", etc, are all phrases not found in scripture.  Personally I believe they are all BS - an appeal to the "free will" of man and contradictory to the New Testament.

According to my "Christian belief", if God wants you he will have you.  If he doesn't, no effort on your part will make any difference. However, since nobody knows who is ultimately one of the chosen ones, nobody can say they will always be an atheist, an agnostic or a non-Christian.  

Which is kind of comforting, even if you, like me, are not sure whether Christianity is true or not.

The Bible is so contradictory and inconsistent that many people believe it teaches many different things. I know for a fact that Christianity is not true, and you can know that too if you do the research.

• Super Moderator

Outstanding post, Brother Jeff!

I cannot see this topic without thinking about my programming. When I see "free gift" I automatically think of, in my former life, automatically assuming that the person using the term was trying to say that baptism is not required for the remission of sins. Oh, and I had the perfect response, too: I would talk about having won a pair of concert tickets from a radio station, but having to go pick them up. They wouldn't mail the tickets, but just because I had to do some work (fight Houston Galleria area traffic!) did not mean that the tickets weren't free.

Therefore, just because mythical being required you to get dunked, didn't mean the gift wasn't free! I never thought about the fact that what the religion was asking in return for telling you you had a free gift was that you had to give it something too: your brain. And the fear: Talk about a price to pay!

So glad, so so relieved to be awake now. I'm really starting to see what a cult it was, even if my branch of the cult wasn't overly demanding.

Right on! 

I was a member of an extremely legalistic group (cult), so when I became aware of Ephesians 2:8-10 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Those verses changed my life, at least for a short period of time. Unfortunately, the Bible is filled with other verses that nullify those Ephesians verses. When those other verses were pointed out to me; I believe that was the catalyst that opened the door for my eventual exit from Christianity. That dichotomy proved to be irreconcilable. I soon realized the Bible was teaching diametrically opposite doctrines that created a no win catch 22 scenario. Christianity is a shell game. The search for the illusive pea goes on for a lifetime with no real hope of ever obtaining it.

• Like 1