Goodbye Jesus

Confused Christians Place Ten Commandments On Church Property In Bungled Attempt To Anger Atheists

DrNo

No, not an Onion headline. Thanks to the Friendly Atheist for the link.

• Like 1

I never understood why Christians would want to promote Judaism, anyway. That 4th commandment, about not doing anything on Saturday, really would mess up their weekends!

• Like 1

Considering that the Sabbath starts on Friday evening it would completely screw high school football (the only real religion.)

• Like 2

I am deeply offended.  How dare they push their religion on us by using church property to promote their religion.  It's un-American.

That story had me laughing all night.   They truly don't get it.

Well from their warped perspective it's logical. Atheism = The Enemy™ (well actually everything not of their particular cult = the enemy), putting up their bullshit = against the enemy = good. They don't care about anything else.

Could that big engraved stone be considered a graven image? Just wonderin'.

• Like 4

You mean, like the golden bull they gathered around on Wall Street a few years ago to pray for higher stock values?

Just asking...

• Like 1

Well I'm more of a deist with a slant towards Buddhism but since they made the bother...um rage, rage, rage? Wendyshrug.gif 

Hmm, can't be bothered to care

• Like 1

Well from their warped perspective it's logical. Atheism = The Enemy (well actually everything not of their particular cult = the enemy), putting up their bullshit = against the enemy = good. They don't care about anything else.

You don't see them as your enemy?

If a lot of them could they would make you believe and force you into a system of governenment that made choices for you that you would not want them making ever.

If you don't see them as this and the apathy of ignorance that most religious people are actually displaying what do you see them as?

It's probably debatable whether they are the enemy or "just" the enemy's tools (is the ideology the danger, or those who adhere to it?)... but that's rather philosophical. Anyway, I just tried to understand how that action mentioned in the OP-linked article is so absurd yet seems sufficiently logical to them so they do it. ;)

"This monument is the free speech zone."

So you're free to go there and maybe preach on how other god's are much better and should be worshiped instead of their god and/or take their lord's name in vain and they won't have any problems with it since it is a "free speech zone" (their words)???

mwc

• Like 1

They completely messed it  up those are the wrong ten commandments any Christian worth their salt knows these are the true  ten commandments.

And the LORD said unto Moses, "Hew thee two tablets of stone like unto the first, and I will write upon these tablets the words that were in the first tablets which thou brokest.
 11Observe thou that which I command thee this day. Behold, I drive out before thee the Amorite and the Canaanite, and the Hittite and the Perizzite, and the Hivite and the Jebusite.   
 12Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee.  
 13But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their Asherah poles.
  14For thou shalt worship no other god; for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God,
   15lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and one call thee and thou eat of his sacrifice,
  16and thou take their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go a whoring after their gods, and make thy sons go a whoring after their gods.
   7"Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.
  18"The Feast of Unleavened Bread shalt thou keep. Seven days thou shalt eat unleavened bread, as I commanded thee, in the time of the month of Abib; for in the month of Abib thou camest out from Egypt.
  19"All that openeth the womb is Mine, and every firstling among thy cattle, whether ox or sheep, that is male.
  20But the firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb; and if thou redeem him not, then shalt thou break his neck. All the firstborn of thy sons thou shalt redeem. And none shall appear before Me empty.
  21"Six days thou shalt work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest; in plowing time and in harvest thou shalt rest.
  22And thou shalt observe the Feast of Weeks of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the Feast of Ingathering at the year's end.
  23Thrice in the year shall all your menchildren appear before the Lord GOD, the God of Israel.
 24For I will cast out the nations before thee and enlarge thy borders; neither shall any man desire thy land when thou shalt go up to appear before the LORD thy God thrice in the year.

25"Thou shalt not offer the blood of My sacrifice with leaven, neither shall the sacrifice of the Feast of the Passover be left until the morning.
 26The first of the firstfruits of thy land thou shalt bring unto the house of the LORD thy God. Thou shalt not boil a kid in his mother's milk."

That makes a hell  of a lot more sense to me right?!!?!?

• Like 1

It's probably debatable whether they are the enemy or "just" the enemy's tools (is the ideology the danger, or those who adhere to it?)... but that's rather philosophical. Anyway, I just tried to understand how that action mentioned in the OP-linked article is so absurd yet seems sufficiently logical to them so they do it. wink.png

Now we are moving toward "War on Terror" territory. The trouble with a war on an idea or methodology is that you can't kill it.  You can only discredit it by degrees, and it could come back on you like a zombie. But I see what you mean.  Bad ideas can be our enemy, and religion is a bad idea...rather it is a set of ideas, some good, some bad, but since the good ideas can stand independently of the religion that embraces them, I generally consider religion a bad idea, because the good of it can be had without swallowing the whole burrito. 

• Like 2