Goodbye Jesus

Christians Reposting Fb Hoaxes

midniterider

Someone linked a good article on why Xians should fact check before blindly reposting stupid stuff:

http://reasonforchange.wordpress.com/2013/07/29/4-reasons-christians-need-to-quit-sharing-hoaxes/

Good article, but it ignores the primary hoax that Christians deal with which is Christianity itself.

Some good points in the article. I think one of the primary motivators (along with their needing religion in the first place) is how it makes them feel. See a story posted about some Christian being put down or oppressed? Less important is the did it happen than the validation of emotions and feelings. 

I know. I'm so sick of all the damn stories. I almost want to turn facebook off because of that alone.  I feel like I gotta unsubscribe to every single FRIEND to get rid of those and what's the point in facebook if I'm just stuck with feed from pages I once "liked?" 

Some good points in the article. I think one of the primary motivators (along with their needing religion in the first place) is how it makes them feel. See a story posted about some Christian being put down or oppressed? Less important is the did it happen than the validation of emotions and feelings.

This. Plus, if they didn't find the story themselves but saw it linked to from another morontheist the usual "it only matters who tells me the thing, not whether it's true" kicks in. Posted by a zealot of just the right type? Then it's automatically true.

Wendybanghead.gif

I know. I'm so sick of all the damn stories. I almost want to turn facebook off because of that alone.  I feel like I gotta unsubscribe to every single FRIEND to get rid of those and what's the point in facebook if I'm just stuck with feed from pages I once "liked?" 

You don't have to unsubscribe, you can just block updates from their feed.

• Super Moderator

Hardcore Christians are not in the habit of checking to see if what they are told matches up with reality and the facts. Doing that would ruin their day.

I was a victim of one of these stupid-ass email/ Facebook hoaxes, and it took me years to get over it. I was convinced that since the information came from a Christian ( they never lie!!) the information had to be true. I swear that I have PSTD from stuff of this nature.

Heh whenever I read about what morontheists uncritically spread the idiocy of the supposed sura 9:11 of the koran comes to mind for me... that thing alone is a nice example already of how fucked-up people can get.

This. Plus, if they didn't find the story themselves but saw it linked to from another morontheist the usual "it only matters who tells me the thing, not whether it's true" kicks in. Posted by a zealot of just the right type? Then it's automatically true.

Wendybanghead.gif

I called a friend out once on one of these stories by posting the Snopes link so a while down the road someone else reposts some other story with the qualifier, "I don't care if this story is real or not, it is just so emotionally moving...." lol.

Well that's fair enough if at least they make it clear while reposting that they can't guarantee that the story is true... not that anyone of them would ever do that.

Hardcore Christians are not in the habit of checking to see if what they are told matches up with reality and the facts. Doing that would ruin their day.

Recently a Christian FB friend told me how they had 'fact checked' something they posted. Well, that's nice. Now fact check your religion. :-)

Well that's fair enough if at least they make it clear while reposting that they can't guarantee that the story is true... not that anyone of them would ever do that.

Well, some stories are obvious stories and we can figure that out. Others are just specially engineered fabrications designed for emotional reaction. I think what bugs me is rarely does anyone question these fabrications.

What I found interesting was that the crux of the article listed in the OP was a "pet peeve" of this Christian. Even the author of the article said something like, "Us Christians already believe some guy died on a cross and was resurrected, we don't want people thinking we're completely gullible by reposting false stories." Hmmm, too late. :-) 

I felt like commenting on FB that I don't really expect Christians to post anything factual since they are in a state of delusion anyway  but decided to play nice. :-)