Goodbye Jesus

Coming Out To My Mentor

Mudisco

Hello Guys,

So I came out to my mentor today and said that I refuse to worship the God of the bible that says we should love our neighbours and do good to our enemies yet he approved rape and genocides of the israelites neighbours and other contradictions in the Bible. He said a good point though that God CAN change his mind but not change himself and he said I am seeing it as a black and white thing. I told him then does that mean God is good and evil at the same time.

Anyway, he said I have been trying to do the right thing and the little things [from the bible?), implying I was trying too hard for God to communicate with me directly when all I needed was Grace O_O. What is that? and he said I have been on my own and reading the bible superficially and that I should be in a community and fellowship with those that have experience reading the Bible.

I said that I am learning how to THINK for myself and seeing the Bible for what it is, instead of being repeatedly told by people who twist and interpret it for their own purposes. And he called me proud and I am just like him in an older brother caring kind of way and that I should be in a church (his church) community.

We talked more than that though but that is the concise summary of the whole thing.

Conclusion, it is not worth having a logical or adult discussion with Christians anymore. Ranting over.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator
Conclusion, it is not worth having a logical or adult discussion with Christians anymore.

Yep, that's the conclusion of all of us who have tried.

Conclusion, it is not worth having a logical or adult discussion with Christians anymore.

Seconded.

Seconded.

I concur.

God can change his mind but he cannot change who he is?  So he can't learn from his mistakes?  He can't mature?  He just kills the whole planet in a flood and then repents over and over again like some idiot?  He's the never ending sexting Anthony Weiner of gods and we're his poor wife?  No thanks.

mwc

• Like 1

Hello Guys,

So I came out to my mentor today and said that I refuse to worship the God of the bible that says we should love our neighbours and do good to our enemies yet he approved rape and genocides of the israelites neighbours and other contradictions in the Bible. He said a good point though that God CAN change his mind but not change himself and he said I am seeing it as a black and white thing. I told him then does that mean God is good and evil at the same time.

Anyway, he said I have been trying to do the right thing and the little things [from the bible?), implying I was trying too hard for God to communicate with me directly when all I needed was Grace O_O. What is that? and he said I have been on my own and reading the bible superficially and that I should be in a community and fellowship with those that have experience reading the Bible.

I said that I am learning how to THINK for myself and seeing the Bible for what it is, instead of being repeatedly told by people who twist and interpret it for their own purposes. And he called me proud and I am just like him in an older brother caring kind of way and that I should be in a church (his church) community.

We talked more than that though but that is the concise summary of the whole thing.

Conclusion, it is not worth having a logical or adult discussion with Christians anymore. Ranting over.

Ditch him. If these are his views he only mentored you with a lie. You cannot trust him.

His views are miopic and tiny. You sound like you are smart and don't need him. You have it right now just put down the idea that any god has ever existed and those views christians try to spread on you like butter will just seem like dull back ground noise.

Hello Guys,

Why read the bible at all if it can be interpreted to mean anything you want it to mean? Why not just throw your bible away and come up with your own baloney and say "it's based on the bible" to give it some authority. :-)

"Community and fellowship" = cult brainwashing.

"Experienced bible readers" = brainwashed members.

He's the never ending sexting Anthony Weiner of gods and we're his poor wife?  No thanks.

mwc

You are today's winner of the metaphor tournament! :-)

You are today's winner of the metaphor tournament! :-)

After so many years I never thought this day would come.  You don't know how close I came to making a simile but I'm so glad I stayed the course.  Thank you all.

mwc

Calling you proud is kinda cheap. An under-the-belt blow. As a christian you are likely to know the doctrine about pride, and are conditioned to be ashamed for being proud. Now, if pride is something that can sometimes be healthy, attacking it always with shame cannot be healthy. Nor fair.

So, assuming pride can be alright, if he feels you are being proud about something you shouldn't be proud about, should he want to humble you, he'd best show you how you are wrong, not attack the pride itself. That is just too easy and cheap, and can be employed even when he is in the wrong and you have every reason to be proud about your conviction.

Not that there's really much reason or hope to argue this with him, as it's quite likely he isn't going to entertain the required, blasphemic, presupposition that pride could be good. Who knows, he might even know that, but for you to realize it too might go against his interests, so there's no chance he'd allow anything such for the sake of a good discussion. Perhaps it's never gonna be about anything but trying to get you to submit. Not directly to him, maybe, if he's smart, but to a doctrine that in the end serves him.

Christians are always telling you to read your Bible, but then if you do and come to another conclusion, you need to stop reading the Bible and listen to them instead. Damned if you don't read it, damned if you do.

The Bible says "God is not the author of confusion." I've heard many times that the Bible is the true, clear, inerrant word of God. If so, any normal person should be able to read the Bible and understand it -- no lack of clarity, no confusion. If so, there should not be 30,000 different Christian denominations all claiming their interpretation is correct and everyone else is going to hell. The Bible is a jumbled up mess.

I agree with the post above... calling out your "pride" is a low blow. I would add that calling out your apparent illiteracy when reading the Bible is also a low blow. You are not proud, and you are not illiterate. Your mentor should see that you would not make for a good little brainwashed member. You're too smart for them.

Congrats, Mudisco! You have advanced beyond your mentor, and no longer need his guidance. My, how you have grown! I, for one, am proud of you.

• Like 1

Didn't a wise man once say that teaching fish to juggle was easier than having a logical discussion with Christians?

Hi Mudisco, the pride thing is pretty common, and very easy.  My mentor called me proud when I left his church.  I forget what I said, but either I said or merely thought (think I said it) that by the same reasoning, Luther and Calvin were guilty of pride when they left the church of Rome.  Who isn't proud, after all, at some point?

I'd be ditching that so-called "mentor."

Good luck in your journey.

Hello Guys,

I am expecting a similar conversation with my preacher when he finally figures out that I've not been coming to church for awhile and it isn't just work related. I've known him all my life and considered him a mentor but I think after the conversation we won't have much more to say to each other. Sad to say but I think your conclusion is on the money. 

Hello Guys,

Basically, "Stop thinking, and submit to the hive mind."

What a prick.

"Prideful" Christians have been burned at the stake....by each other.

Telling you that your pride is leading you astray is like a burglar telling you that your alarm system is making you less safe.

Hello Guys,

Your mentor is simply using standard apologetics and brainwashing techniques common to his particular religious cult.  Notice his assumption in all of this that his sky fairies actually exist in the first place.  Stand your ground on this premise.  Indeed, a statement to him such as, "You base your assertions on a false premise" would be a good way to cut him off at the knees.

Christians are always telling you to read your Bible, but then if you do and come to another conclusion, you need to stop reading the Bible and listen to them instead. Damned if you don't read it, damned if you do.

The Bible says "God is not the author of confusion." I've heard many times that the Bible is the true, clear, inerrant word of God. If so, any normal person should be able to read the Bible and understand it -- no lack of clarity, no confusion. If so, there should not be 30,000 different Christian denominations all claiming their interpretation is correct and everyone else is going to hell. The Bible is a jumbled up mess.

I agree with the post above... calling out your "pride" is a low blow. I would add that calling out your apparent illiteracy when reading the Bible is also a low blow. You are not proud, and you are not illiterate. Your mentor should see that you would not make for a good little brainwashed member. You're too smart for them.

Congrats, Mudisco! You have advanced beyond your mentor, and no longer need his guidance. My, how you have grown! I, for one, am proud of you.

Thank you! The thing is I actually love him. He thinks that I have been alone for most of the time and trying to do things by myself so I don't think those jobs came from a bad place. They were still insults though *sigh*. Thanks you all for the added perspective. The thing is even if God, Jesus and the Christianity stuff is real, I won't still go back. I don't see the point in having a non-existent relationship with God yet doing all those religious stuff.