Goodbye Jesus

Continuing the Grandmother Saga

Guest Zoe Grace

Guest Zoe Grace

Ok...so I did a stupid thing, I locked myself out of my car. there are two keys...one that unlocks the car and one that starts it. I didn't lock my keys in the car but i'd forgotten that i'd left the unlocking key at home cause i never lock my doors, but did today cause of xmas shopping...that's just basically a really longwinded lead up to the following:

I got stuck in the car with my grandmother again!

And this time it was much worse. See it's a little bit my fault since I accidentally slipped and said "fucking" in front of my grandmother. I apologized...said I didn't mean to say that in front of her.

She said I shouldn't say it anyway. I said: "I don't believe the way you do!"

She said: "Yes you do...deep down you do."

I said. "No I don't, and I don't want to discuss religion."

She said: "I don't want to discuss religion either." At which point she went into a big dialogue about how she's going to heaven and she really wants me to go to heaven too and the other night she led some drunk guy to the lord...he called her up at 10pm and she came over and saw him and his wife and he came to the lord and he was so happy...blah blah blah."

Apparently...when my grandmother says: "I don't want to talk about religion either." What she REALLY means is: "I dont' want you to tell me any of the reasons why my religion is stupid...cause then I might have to think."

I just kept rolling my eyes. I know it's immature but OMG i can't help it. It's so deeply offensive to me that she acts like she has a right to cross boundaries I've set up...I'm a FUCKING ADULT...I love you but SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT JESUS! FUCKING HELL!

We are having an "early" mini-xmas with them wednesday night after church...which I know is a really bad idea but they'll never shut up about it if we don't do it. So we are exchanging presents. And I know it's a bad idea cause they'll be right back from church and be all hyped up from it. Only thing is...I kind of look forward to it...cause Tom won't let them do this crap to me while he's there.

You know what's funny about my grandma? She's 83 and has only become less religious in the last few years. As recently as several years ago she went on about how I need to get baptized, start going to church, etc. She is also a lifelong Republican and considered herself conservative until recently. I know she still considers herself Christian, but it seems she takes religion far less literally. Basically from what I gather from her rants about Bush, Evangelicals, religious leaders, etc. is that she's just sick and tired of the blurring of lines between religion and government. And for the first time in something like 40 years she voted for a Democrat- Kerry for President in 2004. She said she voted for every Democrat on the ballot in fact to make a statement for change. Not note that noone including myself has ever even tried to de-convert my grandma. In fact she doesn't even know I'm not Christian.

She gives me a good deal of hope. If an 83 year old grandmother set in her ways for so long can come around, anyone can.

Wow. I am so lucky in the grandmother department.

My g-ma is 88 and is my last living grandparent. She was born in Australia, raised in New Zealand, and has that sort of detached, polite Anglican thing going on - but really she's a rabid agnostic and doesn't give a rat's ass about religion. In fact she's very no-bullshit in general.

So my holiday wish for everyone is that for this season, your grandmothers will all channel mine, and dispense with the silly religious doody. ;)

Well one of my grandmommas is in AZ and the other one lives a few blocks from my house.

Thank the fuckin lord the annoying one is in AZ. Not that I don't love her, I just can't listen to her non-stop judgement.

A Granny in Florida (she's cool though) and a Grandma and Grandpa in Indiana (Fundy-ville...except Indianapolis).

Either way, 6 or more hours away (by plane) from either of them.

Both of my grandmas are in MN. I visit them for Christmas with my parents every year. I don't mind so much. The fundy relatives aren't usually there at the same time we are.

Wow. I am so lucky in the grandmother department.

My g-ma is 88 and is my last living grandparent. She was born in Australia, raised in New Zealand, and has that sort of detached, polite Anglican thing going on - but really she's a rabid agnostic and doesn't give a rat's ass about religion. In fact she's very no-bullshit in general.

So my holiday wish for everyone is that for this season, your grandmothers will all channel mine, and dispense with the silly religious doody. ;)

Yeah, I'm lucky there to. My grandfather is closing in on 95 but he is still the coolest person I've ever met (and the smartest). He taught himself quantum mechanics even though he was never able to attend the University. He has written two books since he passed 80 yo. Now he is studying Russian from a book I gave him.

He is rabidly atheist (he's the only one in the family who rejects religion besides myself). And he is funny as hell. He goes into breathless laughing fits as he tells us stories of old "Hacksaw Tom" and a few other characters from his youth. He loves to make my ultra religious father uncomfortable by cussing and telling everyone how stupid the local pastor is.

Zoe,

Grandma + Your car = Not good

My grandma lives five minutes away....and it might as well be five hours. I don't visit her because I don't want her to tell me how I need to pray to St. Motherfucker or other, or her wondering if I'm still a lesbian and telling me how God finds me disgusting. Yep, Grandma speaks for the lord; I send her gifts with my mom, along with a new picture of my son and call it a day. She's sweet and I love her, but I'm not a massochist so I'll love her from afar.

Zoe,

Grandma + Your car = Not good

My grandma lives five minutes away....and it might as well be five hours. I don't visit her because I don't want her to tell me how I need to pray to St. Motherfucker or other, or her wondering if I'm still a lesbian and telling me how God finds me disgusting. Yep, Grandma speaks for the lord; I send her gifts with my mom, along with a new picture of my son and call it a day. She's sweet and I love her, but I'm not a massochist so I'll love her from afar.

You know that's really sad. I think it's that generation though, that doesn't accept gays. Though, I have to say my g-ma has my gay cousin living with her, and he's pretty flaming. You don't need any gaydar to figure out he's "happy". She doesn't say anything at all about it one way or the other, so I have no idea what she thinks of it. Though, the woman is 86 years old and a rabid "whatever" as far as religion. When I was a fundy and used to try to talk to her about it, she didn't want to discuss it.

I look forward to being old and can harass my kids and their families with my opinions. No one will try to argue with me either 'cuz I'm old.

Taph

My grandparents (on my mum's side) are liberal Christians, they're great, fantastic grandparents.

But my other grandparents (dead, on my dad's side) was rabidly Catholics.

Just cold, formal and devoid of love.

See the contrasts in my family?

Here's the interesting thing.

My mum's side of the family often live very long and is healthy.

I have a great uncle who's alive and walking at 89.

My great grandmother lived to 90.

Whereas on my dad's side, there's heart diseases, illness, rabid fundyism and more.

They only live to 70s and under.

They're dysfunctional.

That passed over to my mum and it's hard to repair it.

Guest Challenger

My grandmother died last year at 96, right before Christmas.

She believed in God--my grandfather had been a church deacon--but her beliefs were never a source of conflict for us.

She was like a second mother to me. I miss her still to this day.

One more post for Challenger to break 1000.

I totally love my babcha in Chicago. She has the most filthy sense of humor.

Guest Challenger

One more post for Challenger to break 1000.

I totally love my babcha in Chicago. She has the most filthy sense of humor.

Thank you for noticing my count, Dianka :wave:

My grandmother was a character. She was from Texas. About five years ago we moved her from one retirement home to a different one. I took along a buddy of mine, a very, very BIG guy to assist with the move. Hell, he could done it by himself--he usually spent his days off down at the auto wrecking yards crushing car bodies.

Before the move, I had taken her favorite recliner to an unholsterer I knew, and had it fixed up for her. Tom and I were returning it during the move.

We carried it into the apartment, placed it where she wanted it, and were headed back out to the truck when she stopped us.

She wanted to know exactly how much the job cost. I tried to wave away the question--the guy just charged me for material--and then she turned from me, walked over to Big Tom, looked him up and down, and her eye was cold. "How much did he really pay for that chair?" she asked. That poor guy looked like he was going to melt into the floor.

Then she turned to me--I was already backing slowly away, toward the door, and she said, "I'll write you a check. And I expect you to cash it."

When we got back to the truck, I just looked at Tom and raised an eyebrow. His adam's apple bobbled like a ship in a storm. "Man, now I see what you've been tellling me about her." I just laughed.

There was no arguing with that lady. And I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

Yeah, she's a gem. She thinks my leaving the church is the result of my sexual orientation.