Goodbye Jesus

Back To School, Take 13

Ro-bear

Thirteen years ago, my older daughter went off to kindergarten.  Her mom cried of course.  We live right next to the elementary school; seriously, our driveway empties into the school parking lot, and the school borders on our back yard.  So my wife invited Kaelie's little daycare friends and their parents to come over for breakfast and walk the kids to school together on the first day.  They took pictures.  The kids felt safe because the whole herd traveled together.

These same kids and parents have come over for every first day of school since then.  They walked the kids to the bus stop during middle school years.  Today, for senior year, they watched from my front yard as their kids piled into cars and drove to school.  They took pictures.  And Kaelie's mom cried.

• Like 5

That's awesome. Seriously. That's pretty cool.

What a sweet memory, and a warm present account of your family and community.

Thanks for sharing!

That's awesome. Seriously. That's pretty cool.

What a sweet memory, and a warm present account of your family and community.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you both.  My regret, of course, is that I have seen pictures and heard accounts but I have never been present.  When this happens, I am at a school fifteen miles away waiting to meet other people's kids.  That's pretty cool too, though.